The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Fraud...? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14~15 [Next]
lylaster
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
197 Posts

Profile of lylaster
It's called CAPITALISM. Magicians are selling tricks for $30 each because people like you are buying it. If it wasn't, then I'm sure they'd include more effects with the DVDS. In my opinion, if they make more money by doing this then it's GOOD for magic. This is how magicians like DG are making a living, if they're making good money from it then it encourages them to create more effects, and release more effects (good ones I hope).

They're making more DVD's nowadays because it's a LOT less work involved, and costs less to make. It's pretty simple.
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
Quote:
On 2006-09-24 14:37, Vinnie Laraway wrote:
Alex,

That is what I have been wondering for YEARS!

"How do magicians/retailers price magic effects, DVD's, books, and illusions?"

Period.
-Vinnie

Here is the basics so you will understand. I have a couple products out and worked hard on making them a fair retail price. But this is a basic system that most of time is what is being done. If I upset anyone for sharing sorry but there are reasons for everything.

So I come up with a cool trick/gimmick I use it R and D it to make sure it works well now I want to put it on the market

The gimmick itself cost me 4 dollars to make
The material to make a killer presentation out of the package cost me 1.85
I have to buy the material in bulk keep in mind so a thousand units at 5.85 lets just use that amount.
I sell it to the wholesaler who buys 500 of them(not going to drop names) what do I sell it for? I have 5.85 in it in my cost and that does not include my labor to make everything.
My labor is 10 a hour, I have a 100 hours in just making everything so that is a another 1000 bucks. So now my cost is 6.85 I need to sell it to the wholesaler and make some money what do I sell it to him for? Well in the past not sure if it is still this way? The wholesaler would sell to the retailer for a 40 percent off retail. I want my product to retail for 19.99? Is that possible with this situation? Probably not, So my product will sell for 24.99 which is a great deal for this new cool hip trick..LOL remember I have 6.85 cents in it, so I sell it to the wholesaler for 11 bucks he sells it the retailer for say 15.00 then it retails for the 24.99. Now take a look who makes the most money on this deal? that's right the retailer, why? well this way they can stay in business and keep people happy and keep there shops open and running. You will never hear of a magician getting rich off of marketing there effects, it is very rare, magicians that market there effects are doing it to share the magic. There is knowone getting ripped off here except the people that think they are. This is the way whosale retail works in all businesses not just magic. Do you really think that going to the store to buy a new shirt that the wholesaler didn't make money, and that the manufacture didn't make money? This is not a bad thing, believe me it works well and is fair. Just because everyone is wanting something for nothing. I have been watching this thread since the moment it started, I ordered fraud and have not recieve it, who cares if it has a switch, who cares if there is prepe work, who cares if Daniel put it out on its own, when anyone in magic puts something out we should embrace the fact that they are sharing with a bunch of other magicians that did not create what ever it is they are putting out.
The reason I explained all this was to make a wake up call, business is business but that is not the important part of magic for a magician. I would pay a million dollars for a effect if it was something I am going to use(if I had a million dollars}. There is no business that is different than magic, it is the same. There is a manufacture, wholesaler, and retailer...Bottom line is all three have to make money so stop worring about it and worry about the magic!
victor_cubed
View Profile
New user
irvine, ca
18 Posts

Profile of victor_cubed
Quote:

2.***YES*** the bill can be signed on BOTH sides, I prefer the back of the bill becuase it adds suspence, not going to get into the whole psychology right now...but just know that there was a lot of thought put into this effect.

Daniel Garcia

Okay, so I've finished watching fraud etc, but I don't know how I can get the spec to sign both sides of the bill. Does anybody have this problem as well?
themagicofjoseph
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of themagicofjoseph
Got the dvd and I couldn't put the "special something" on my computer as it did not recognize the disc....I talked to Ellusionist and they will get back to me. I think that the idea behind this is very good, and I can see it being added to some of my closeup work. Very clever idea, truely awesome effect as far as teaching on the video. Some will like it, some won't, that's life. I'm glad I invested in it and would recomend it to any serious closeup magician. It does take abit to create the effect (those who have the vid know what I mean) but well worth it. For the price it is excellent, IMHO. Along with table hopping I do mentalist/metal bending and this will be a nice addition to it if I can get the disc to work in computer.
Magically,
Joseph
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6673 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I, also have that problem, Joseph.

I have an old computer that does not take DVD's...

I DO have a solution that I'm going to try...hope it works!

This is the BEST effect I have bought in YEARS! This could be a reputation maker all by itself! Man, this Garcia guy...woo...I'll be watching the other stuff he has...

PURE genious!

:)

Doug
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7292 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Im having other PC issues, but its the External, I cant get it to just do what its supposed too. I don't know much about software to adjust. Anyone have similar issues PM me. Oh and I hope that I'm confusing some. I find this to be an incredible effect. Those that don't feel the same just by reading what you read here, Well my gain your loss. DG Please keep doing your thing. Im right there with the add to cart button. Oh also got Tribox. I love it.
gamma105
View Profile
Regular user
City of Evil
147 Posts

Profile of gamma105
I received Fraud today and performed it already. It absolutely kills! now about the single trick DVD vs. multi....I have to give my 2 cents here, if you don't like single trick DVDs, simply don't buy it, stop whining. To me, it's not about the quantity, but the quality of the routine(s) on the DVD. For example, Reformation was sold for $100, but it's well worth every penny. I don't see people !@#$% and complain about that. We are lucky that DG is releasing his favorite effects of his. Thanks DG!
gink103
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of gink103
I agree that bad habit is a devestating effect. Ive been telling this to people all along and noone seems to like it. Even DG said he doesn't do it anymore. Its a very powerful impromptu effect.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I've been so intrigued by all the posts that I ordered my Fraud. I'm sure I'll have a ton of fun performing this effect to folks. What a totally devastating and surprise souivenir for the spec ! I think this effect is truly groundbreaking.

p.s. paise23 I hope your computer is running smoothly. I don't understand what you meant in your aviator..Smile
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7292 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I needed to somehow get to Document Viewer and it worked, so hopefully that will be the same. I did it today for a friend of mine, he didn't understand what he saw for a second. Once he realized he yelled and started asking people to let him see a dollar. LOL I told him to Shhhh! I didn't want anyone to know about that. Its Illegal. I think the effect is truly great.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Paise23, it's great to see great spec reaction to Fraud. I haven't rec'd mine yet, but I'm thinking specs will rub their eyes in total disbelief and then scream and yell after the reality displacement Smile
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
lylaster
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
197 Posts

Profile of lylaster
Argh. Told myself no more magic until Christmas because I'm overloaded with material, but FRAUD has gotten me too curious.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6673 Posts

Profile of Dougini
OK...problem solved!

What a great bunch of people here! Thank you for the PM's offering to help! Very noble gesture.

I have a friend who has a DVD drive in his computer. Burned the folder to CD-ROM.

In my humble opinion, this is the most ingenious effect I have seen in 36 years of Magic. It's really a surprise that Daniel Garcia released this to the retail market.

Thank you Daniel!

Doug
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
DG is truly an inventive mind and a genius. Thanks for sharing! Smile
magiGlen
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of magiGlen
I don't really like the effect. 'Woah look I moved this tiny thing on the bill!!" 'Cool now make it levitate and change to a 100 in the air" hehe. Plus thi is another one trick dvd from ellusionist, the crap maker(say like you would mentos, the fresh maker)
johnobryant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
195 Posts

Profile of johnobryant
I don't think you should worry about what company you buy it from. Unless you had trouble getting the order to your house in proper condition in tha past.

All you should look at is the effect. This effect is AWESOME.

-john
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7292 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Ah,,then why did you get it? And if you didn't, why are you complaining? You must not understand how this impacts your audience. This effect is not to impress you brother, its to fry your spectator.
johnobryant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
195 Posts

Profile of johnobryant
I really enjoy doing this effect. Once everything is set up it is a breeze to do.

-john
AnthonyMaze
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, Ca
260 Posts

Profile of AnthonyMaze
Thank you EVERYONE for your reviews... sounds like there's NO CHOICE but to get this little miracle Smile

So what, some set up, not EVERY magical experience can be COMPLETELY IMPROMPTU right?

Although, for me in the demo clip on ellusionist, I caught a glimps of the final resting place before the thumb was all the way there. Just wondered if I was seeing things.

I believe in one of these posts someone said you could stop half way, and show, then finish all the way to the other side.... is this true? Im buying reguardless, its just that I'm off to Iraq in 7 days so Im going to have to wait about a month for it to reach me :-(....
...for the 51st time... that is NOT my card...
Josh Zandman
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of Josh Zandman
Hey Anthony, you could stop half way through and show it, but you wont want to. It's better to do it in one fluid motion. My advice is to do this trick without telling the spec what your about to do. It kills! Stay safe in Iraq man- wish you the best out there.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Fraud...? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14~15 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL