The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Light+water (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1062 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
Hello all!

I'm sure you all know the mesmerizing effect of the light reflecting in water...
All those little waves reflecting all around...

For technical reasons, I don't want to bring water on stage (it's a stage music show involved, not a magic show)

So I was wondering if exists a special effect, maybe a light effect, which could emulate this particular effect?

Any idea welcome!

Thanx,
Captain Jack
View Profile
New user
Sacramento
53 Posts

Profile of Captain Jack
I have purchased a couple of cool lighting effects that I use in my shows from Spencer Gifts at the mall. They had some lights that simulated water fountains that might work. They don't seem to have them listed on their internet sight though.
Every man be a fool for 10 minutes each day. The trick is not in exceedin' the time limit!

Properly warned ye be, says I!
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
There are various DMX light fixtures that emulate the "Water Effect".
Check this one out
Paul Arthur
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of Paul Arthur
There are specialty fixtures out there that simulate that effect.... Aquasplash and the aforementioned waterfall come to mind. I find a lot of these to be a little too much action for the effect wanted. I've used a simple method that works pretty well using a sheet of gel and a fan. Crinkle the gel like tin foil and hang it front of whatever fixture you're using. The more focused the fixture, the more focused the ripple will be (i.e. fresnel vs. ellipsoidal). I usually put the fixture on some sort of moving rover assembly. This gets it up off the floor and makes it easy to ditch when you're done with it. Then I attach a clip to the end of a mic stand and clip the gel in front of barrel. So far you're not doing anything different than putting a gel frame in. Also attached to the mic stand, I put a small fan on a low setting. This 'flutters' the crinkly gel and actually makes a nice 'subtle' water reflection.
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1062 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
Whow, good point here, Paul!
Thanx!
That's something I surely will Try...

And thanks everybody for the links...very helpful!
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
This may help... I'm not a huge ADJ fan but I have seen this light used effectively many times http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl~waGr......250%2001

Hope this helps,
Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I Have an ADJ H20 lighting effect (I forget what exact one--it's packed away right now) and it works very well. The unit cost me around $180.00.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
You could also have a bit of mylar curtain and a small fan-just point a light at the curtain; with the curtain slightly moving, it looks pretty much like water reflections. Cheap curtains can be found here:

http://www.prettypartyplace.com/party-su......ain.html

I know you said you don't want to bring water onto the stage, but there is not much needed-of course that depends on how large reflection you want. I have simulated a swimming pool outside a window on stage like this. I had one of those rolling plastic storage boxes that are meant to be kept under your bed. There was a few inched of water and an adult toy was taped to the container to get the water vibrating a bit (that did look kinda kinky, lemme tell you that! but it worked)
Sent from my Typewriter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Light+water (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL