The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » How far should I be able to throw? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

aby9plp
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
256 Posts

Profile of aby9plp
I posted this in the manipulation section too, but I'm not sure that it was the right place, so here's my question:

By using the thumb shot or what is also known as long-distance spinner by Audley Walsh, what distance is very good or excellent? I know that by using the Hermann grip (Ricky Jay) or the method used to boomerang a card, a very good distance would be like 150 feet, but what about the thumb throw? I saw McBride and Juliana Chen using the thumb throw several times, so I also wanna know how far can THEY throw them in the audience?
-aka-
Phoenix
Anasazi
View Profile
New user
Upstate New York
49 Posts

Profile of Anasazi
After a week of practice with that move, I was able to shoot them about 25-30 feet. I've also heard it's possible to go beyond 50 feet and still get a perfect boomerang effect. I would guess that 100 feet or more is possible with time (and lots of papercuts/cramped fingers).
Magicboy41772
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of Magicboy41772
I was taught first hand from the world record holder, Rick Smith Jr. He has his own technique, but I have thrown about 125 feet before... which is my personal record. I also have learned to slice a pealed banana with a card.

If you are talking about the type of throw where you take a bunch of cards in one hand, and make them spin out of your hand by pressure with the thumb, then I also would like to know how far they can flip them like that. I can't go very far with that style, maybe 50 feet. I use that technique, when I make the cards flip up into the air, and then catch them with the opposite hand that flipped the card. I also have fun flipping them with both hands as fast as I can at people when they are about 10 feet away from me.

Since it is not that powerful for me, people usually get a good laugh out of it.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TOMORROW!!!
Smile Smile
sak07
View Profile
New user
Stirling/Manchester UK
54 Posts

Profile of sak07
I was actually going to put up a new post asking if its possible to boomerang a card. Having read these posts I see that it is. Please excuse my ignorance but how should I go about learning it and what is the thumb shot that is mentioned above.
Stick Man
View Profile
Regular user
UK
178 Posts

Profile of Stick Man
I didn't think it was possible to boomerang a card, but I can still only get it to go about 1 m away before it comes back. It also lands at my feet, not in my hand. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » How far should I be able to throw? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL