The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Joe Berg's upstairs on Hollywood Blvd.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bruce Sinclair
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
15 Posts

Profile of Bruce Sinclair
Hi all,

I was surprised that I did not see anything about Berg's shop on Hollywood Blvd. I first visited in the early 70's, as a young boy. Joe was incredibly kind to me. Not only did he share a lot of information with me, but he allowed me to hang out for hours. I remember meeting and seeing many past masters of magic pass through his shop. His shop was a mess. There was stuff everywhere. One afternoon he asked me to help him clean. When I finished, he gave me a copy of royal road to card magic, a couple of decks of tally-ho playing cards and a small paddle trick.

He had a demonstrator, "mundane the great". If I recall, his name was jack. I would love to hear about your memories if this great shop.
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
344 Posts

Profile of The Cardfather
Berg's shop was partly the inspiration for Presto's Magic in Long Beach, CA. Presto recounted to me how Joe had the uncanny ability to find anything you asked for in the mess you described. Presto's shop is similar and is also a great place to hang out. Hope to see you there sometime. Rick Bloom
silking
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of silking
Yearsb ago when I lived in Calif. I would spend my Saturdays at Berg's. It was a great place and Joe was a great guy. I will never forget those days.

Silking
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
In 1983, I visited Berg's and he was closing for good. I bought some inventory including some original seance hands made of plaster of paris.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Russo
View Profile
Special user
So.California / Centl.Florida
836 Posts

Profile of Russo
A great Shop and Person - just serfing forums - many posts past and present -"search"
Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
949 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Hahaa! I remember Freds shop. (Fred right? Broder? I'm too old to remember. ha!).. Anyways, ya, his shop was a friggin' disaster area! I loved going down there every now and then. He had shhh everywhere! 🤣🤣 I was an "Ancient Times" guy because it was right around the corner from my mom and dads house. Hung out there for hours upon hours in the early nineties w/ Irv Hopper. The in house "club" was So Cal. Assoc of Magicians. SCAM. My God do I miss those days! Those guys had a TON of talent! Dennis Carrol, Scott Peterson, Doug Williams a few others that I cant remember names, but have a mental snapshot. You all be safe out there!
Russo
View Profile
Special user
836 Posts

Profile of Russo
The ORIGINAL "Owen Brothers" (not Smith or ?) on San Pedro,Los Angeles - Calif. - Carl Owen, Johnny Daniel, George McCathy, ''Red", have many of their effects and original Catalogs, from that era (early 60's) - Ralph (russo) Rousseau
Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
949 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2020, Russo wrote:
The ORIGINAL "Owen Brothers" (not Smith or ?) on San Pedro,Los Angeles - Calif. - Carl Owen, Johnny Daniel, George McCathy, ''Red", have many of their effects and original Catalogs, from that era (early 60's) - Ralph (russo) Rousseau

There was a magic shop in Pedro? Growing up, my whole family lived in Pedro. They still do. Well the ones that are left. 🙂
Russo
View Profile
Special user
836 Posts

Profile of Russo
Sorry - should have said, on "So. San Pedro St.", in Los Angeles, Calif - in the 60's
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Joe Berg's upstairs on Hollywood Blvd.. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL