The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Your comments on this as a act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rch129
View Profile
New user
FL
51 Posts

Profile of rch129
Putting together a new act for the street/small venue and would like your comments
Thanks
Roy
The act (30 min’s total time)
Intro – show the Houdini book and how this became an interest in escapes (2 min’s)
Grow the audience – show is about to start
Link from book to show a set of old handcuffs that were in use during Houdini’s time
Old handcuff demo – demonstrate how a antique handcuff even though it appears to be locked, allow the audience members to pull on the handcuffs to show it is locked, but can easily open after it has been used so much that the spring has broken (3 min’s)
Show starts
Link from old time escapes to modern escape with handcuffs
New handcuff review and escape – show the modern day swing through handcuff with the double lock and demo how it works, have it locked on wrists, double locked and escape under cover of jacket. (5 min’s)
Link with how I started out in escapes with mom’s cloths line
100 ft rope escape – tied with 100 ft of rope and escape (10 min’s)
Link to devices used hold the insane and how they are now outlawed in many states and have been replaced with medication.
Straitjacket – show the strait jacket to the audience, let them touch it and feel the thick material that is used to limit movement and the ability to grab or make use of the hands and fingers because of the thick material and the sown up ends of the sleeves, note how the buckles are in the back for increased security. Put on the jacket and complete the escape. (10 min’s)
Roy
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
How much experience do you have in street magic? It doesn't seem like you know too much about getting a crowd. If you are talking about a book, don't expect a big crowd to form. We have a performer down here at the beach that is the best performer I know that can get a huge crowd by not really doing much. He gets the crowd loud and more start to come and he does a few stunts, etc.

I suggest that you start out with something flashy and keep them interested. Believe me, if you start telling people about a book, which isn't always a bad thing, you will not get a large crowd or you will lose the people you have.

I like the rest of the show, after it starts, but as far as getting a crowd goes, I think you might need some work.

-Tyler
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5400 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You have the start of a platform act not a street/busker's act. Sell it as such. School assemblies, small festivals and fairs, fund raisers, anywhere there is a platform/stage and a captive audience.

Check out the buskin threads (The Sidewalk Shuffle) and try the search function to help you fine tune your busking/street act.

You have a start. Now go for it1!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Your comments on this as a act (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL