The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2002 entrée: Banachek » » Act structure » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
In various posts you give indications of a very flexible show, being able to expand it if there is time left etc etc.

What are your thoughts on structuring an act? (Oh boy, this is such a complex question that I can tell you just regretted you promised mr Brooks to be here Smile )

With such a flexible show, and just in general, how do you ensure your desired "over all impression" on the spectators? (and which impression is that?)

Thanks a lot Banachek. We all know it's a complex/complicated question.

/Matias
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1079 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Not so complicated as it might seem. But I may not be able to give you a cemented answer.

I like to start out fast, so they know what I do and sit up to pay attention to what I am going to do next. Doing this I can now introduce myself a little slower and take my time on the next effect, but not too long. After that I do a few quick type effects. Then I will slow it down do a long effect. Maybe two slower effects.

Then I do something extremely emotional, something that they will always remember, fast or slow does not matter as it is not the time they will remember, but the moment.

The last effect I do is my strongest. But not the last thing I do for them.

Lately I leave them with a little story that makes them leave thinking, what a great guy he is.

That's it, no real formula other than not having the show be monotoned. Fast.medium, fast, slow...

But the slowest things I will usually put in the middle. New things I'm working on will usually go somewhere after the first third. Closer to the beginning than the end. By this time I have impressed them, and if the effect is not that good or does not work I still have plenty of time to leave a lasting impression. However, it is not always possible to put some effect just anywhere such as in this position.

If you have my Key Erect routine you will see what I mean. It did not work at the beginning of the show, the method was not strong enough, but the laughter was too good to take it out (in the comedy clubs) placing it later in my show, after my Q&A, after I could do no wrong and had impressed them to the point they no longer cared how I was doing anything, the routine killed.

So just because a routine does not work in a certain area, does not mean it is a bad effect, it just means many I have not found the right words to close it with or the right place for it

So, maybe you were right from the begining, this is more complicated and not an easy answer to give. Because often structure depends upon the performer, the venue and the people you are working for. I know I have things I take out due to the venue or the people I am working for. I know it just will not be quick enough, or too quick, or that I will not get the reaction on a certain effect on certain nights due to the mood.

Sorry, I am starting to ramble here, hope this all makes sense
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2002 entrée: Banachek » » Act structure » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL