The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What are the rates for close up in your area? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
Just curious...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Good luck getting an answer to this one.

Rates for what? Restaurant, strolling, coroprate work? NObody wants to give their prices.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Well, I'll jump in. In East Tennessee, I get $125 per hour (minimum 2 hours) for strolling or corporate work. Restaurant work, which I don't do regularly anymore, is a lot less because of the long-term commitment.
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
Yes I had in mind corporate work...
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
This is a tricky subject....... In the right market and the right client you can charge any price you desire....
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
This was an idea I had:

Rates Faq
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea read Jamie's link, it is a good guideline. SO many things enter into it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Don't forget this thread and this one.

Just two of the many out there on this topic.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Yeah, the region, venue, and experience of your work will all effect what you charge, then it will be entirely too little and you will be rediculously undercutting everyone else, who will explain to you, ad nauseum, how you SHOULD be arriving at your price, a formula which will then bring you right back to exactly what you are charging, which will be entirely too little. Bitter? Why would I be bitter?
Colin Gilbert
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Colin Gilbert
See the 'neon' sign at the top of each and every page? 'Magicians helping magicians' Well theres your answer. Youve asked a question and the 'magicians' have helped you. Haven't they?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well have not really helped out much Collin I am afraid.

BUT there is a good reason for it. There is no real way to help. SO many things come into play with the question you can't really give spacific advice on such a general question.
The link to Jamie's thread is a good starting point though.

Your right, not too much help on a subject like this though.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Quote:
On 2006-08-03 21:42, Colin Gilbert wrote:
See the 'neon' sign at the top of each and every page? 'Magicians helping magicians' Well theres your answer. Youve asked a question and the 'magicians' have helped you. Haven't they?

Maybe the sign should read "Magicians trying to help magicians, but their egos get in the way from time to time."
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
[quote]On 2006-08-04 09:10, JackScratch wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-08-03 21:42, Colin Gilbert wrote:

Maybe the sign should read "Magicians trying to help magicians, but their egos get in the way from time to time."

In the particular thread, to which I refer the interest seemed slightly less in helping anyone, and slightly more in making it sound like everyone charged much bigger fees than everyone else. I cite as evedince that I asked a very very very very simple and clear question and got all manner of replies that were not the answer to that question.
benlewis2004
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of benlewis2004
Your looking at around £200 an hour or $400.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Well recently I found out some interesting rates. I charge $100/hour for strolling. If doing a restaurant on a regular basis $75/hour plus dinner.

Other magicians in my area are doing restaurants for $40/hour.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-04-03 16:58, benlewis2004 wrote:
Your looking at around £200 an hour or $400.

How often do you garner this fee just out of curiosity?

Almost NO restaurant in America will pay $400 per hour. I am just curious if you are stating this is what someone SHOULD get, or that guys regularly get.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
319 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
Danny,

I think he is talking about corporate walkaround for events etc as I find that is an easily achievable price for what he'd be saying. (if he's saying what I think he's saying and not what you're saying with what you think he is saying Smile)
MintonMagic
View Profile
Regular user
South Lyon, Michigan
131 Posts

Profile of MintonMagic
Quote:

Sad but true......
In Magic,

Roger M.

www.mintonmagic.com
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
A side note. A restraunt will pay any fee for a magician. Sky is the limit. All you have to do, is convince them that the additional revenue caused by you performing there will excede the ammount they are paying you, by enough to increase their profits noticeably.

Agreed, acomlishing that gets harder the more you charge, and while the management may be willing to make a leap of faith, the biger the leap, the less faith they are likely to have.

I'm just saying lets not create any false ceilings on this.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-04-04 10:01, JackScratch wrote:
A side note. A restraunt will pay any fee for a magician. Sky is the limit. All you have to do, is convince them that the additional revenue caused by you performing there will excede the ammount they are paying you, by enough to increase their profits noticeably.

Agreed, acomlishing that gets harder the more you charge, and while the management may be willing to make a leap of faith, the biger the leap, the less faith they are likely to have.

I'm just saying lets not create any false ceilings on this.

Speakinig as one who OWNED a restaurant, you could not possibly be more wrong Drew.

I know this is the popular line of thinking but lets examine the fallacy.

First off on a spread sheet I would like you to point to the line in which you can show me how YOU as a magician have increased my profits by a penny. Let me help you out here, you can't so don't hurt yourself trying. You are claiming to do things that you have NO TANGIBLE PROOF of being able to do.

Lets pretend for a second that the premise is accepted, that YOU increase profits,(which by the way I don't accept) if you can't prove it, it does you no good.

Now here is the reality of the situation. MOST guys working are working in "family" restaurants. So if you are paid $100 in salary for a night, (which is small but lets keep it that way to help you) that means the restaurant has to sell between $400 and $500 in food JUST TO BE EVEN ON THAT SALARY. Now you are talking a boatload of kiddie meals to cover that nut. Where exactly is my profit? At $10 a meal, 50 people a night have to come in ONLY TO SEE YOU to be EVEN. Not turn your touted "profits".

In a better place where you make more money on the night, well then the stakes go up!

Now how exactly are you going to prove to an owner/manager that YOU have caused a sudden leap in profits? See my guess is you don't do a lot of restaurant work, and certainly have never owned one or managed one. In which case you shouldn't be giving information that is not correct.

You describe a recipe for disaster and I have said this many many times. It is a line magicians tell each other and spout off and have NO IDEA the implications of what they are saying.

So what is the solution? Here it is. FORGET ABOUT RESTAURANT PROFITS. It is not your job. Because as soon as they go down because of "weather, or whatever reason" you will find yourself on the outside looking in.

You are part of the "ambiance". A reason for them to come back. A part of the company that makes the customer experience "unique" and memorable. One they will tell their friends about. One that will keep people talking. None of this has anything to do with profits. Simply keeping customers very happy.

I have written this till my fingers are numb and people just don't get it. When you walk in and make claims you can't back up, you usually get laughed at. SO many guys wonder why they can't land jobs and I really think this is why.

Drew you show a fundimental misunderstanding of how the restaurant "business" works. Also the false ceilings you speak of are actually very very real in the "real world". To ignore them is to ignore facts.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What are the rates for close up in your area? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL