The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What are the rates for close up in your area? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
benlewis2004
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of benlewis2004
Sorry for the large amount of posts, but if you wanted to know my rates they are here: http://www.ben-lewis.co.uk/prices.html
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20266 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You already told us your rates. Months ago.

See Ben the problem really comes in when you state things like "you are looking for about $400 an hour". It simply implies that you are getting that.

You do need to try to be more clear on things.

Posted: Apr 7, 2007 11:49am
Al has jumped in with a straight answer, so let me complicate things and give more of a guideline than an answer.

I do not like to say X is the amount to be paid. As Al indicated many things are to be factored in. How far is it from your home? What are the expences getting there, how many times will they book you over the course of the year, will other shows be booked from this gig. Is the gig to make an agent notice me ( not the best reason to ever do anything in my opinion LOL ) and an entire laundry list of other factors.

To stick to a price just to make yourself happy is not too great an idea. Just get a feel for what the client needs, and then fill that need.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2007-04-07 11:46, Dannydoyle wrote:
You already told us your rates. Months ago.

See Ben the problem really comes in when you state things like "you are looking for about $400 an hour". It simply implies that you are getting that.

You do need to try to be more clear on things.


Danny, not to be rude but this is completely different than what you said in another thread. In another thread, you said that you would stick to a rate because "clients do talk to one another". I was the one that was all for giving different rates based upon different factors. Remember?
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20266 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Actually Hart no it isn't. I am not saying that I "take away value" from what I do.

I am saying that if you have a recurring gig that will land you many many many high priced shows on nights off, then perhaps the idea that you have to have X is a bit short sighted.

You are putting together 2 completly different thoughts and multiple threads.

I said that I charge the same for my show if someone is Microsoft or if they are a small ma and pop company. I STILL SAY THAT and still do that.

BUT if you are talking about a restaurant where you are able to book multiple shows, or if it is across the street or any number of 1000 other factors, then demanding X is not a good idea.

My point in the other thread is not to bang the client based on how much they make. My show has a value that is not relevant to the clients pocketbook. MY show, not anyone elses. I also said that it is not a good idea to "take away" value from what it is you do. I am confused as to how these two completly different statements contradict each other. One speaks of doing private parties and such, and the other a recurring gig weekly.

I hope this helps to get rid of some of your confussion. You are trying to compare apples and oranges. You would NEVER charge the same for restaurant work weekly, that you would for a private gig.

I have said time and again that there are LOTS of factors involved with recurring gigs. I fail to see an inconsistancy.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2007-04-07 11:49, Dannydoyle wrote:
Al has jumped in with a straight answer, so let me complicate things and give more of a guideline than an answer.

I do not like to say X is the amount to be paid. As Al indicated many things are to be factored in. How far is it from your home? What are the expences getting there, how many times will they book you over the course of the year, will other shows be booked from this gig. Is the gig to make an agent notice me ( not the best reason to ever do anything in my opinion LOL ) and an entire laundry list of other factors.

To stick to a price just to make yourself happy is not too great an idea. Just get a feel for what the client needs, and then fill that need.


Oops. sorry Danny, I meant to use this quote!

Posted: Apr 7, 2007 8:42pm
Quote:

On 2007-04-07 19:14, Dannydoyle wrote:
Actually Hart no it isn't. I am not saying that I "take away value" from what I do.

I am saying that if you have a recurring gig that will land you many many many high priced shows on nights off, then perhaps the idea that you have to have X is a bit short sighted.

You are putting together 2 completly different thoughts and multiple threads.

I said that I charge the same for my show if someone is Microsoft or if they are a small ma and pop company. I STILL SAY THAT and still do that.

BUT if you are talking about a restaurant where you are able to book multiple shows, or if it is across the street or any number of 1000 other factors, then demanding X is not a good idea.

My point in the other thread is not to bang the client based on how much they make. My show has a value that is not relevant to the clients pocketbook. MY show, not anyone elses. I also said that it is not a good idea to "take away" value from what it is you do. I am confused as to how these two completly different statements contradict each other. One speaks of doing private parties and such, and the other a recurring gig weekly.

I hope this helps to get rid of some of your confussion. You are trying to compare apples and oranges. You would NEVER charge the same for restaurant work weekly, that you would for a private gig.

I have said time and again that there are LOTS of factors involved with recurring gigs. I fail to see an inconsistancy.

That makes sense Danny. Thank you for the clarification. But was this thread about restaurants or private gigs? I thought we were talking about private gigs..
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
And none of this has to do with the OP. (what performers actually charge)

If you want to argue over who said what three topics ago, start your own topic.

Answer the question. Tell what you charge (give a range) or what your competition charges, but please stop filling posts with this kind of garbage.

Getting paid = professional (IMO) and professionals shouldn't act like this.

I hope this post gets Sticky Noted and copied to the top of all the forums as it applies to many flame wars. Some people should be booted for the above type of posts, it makes the Café look bad (IMO again)

Joe


Posted: Apr 7, 2007 11:38pm
BTW I already told what I charge and to completely answer the question I have heard other local entertainers charging between $50 and $200 per hour (and getting it).

Joe
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20266 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well since the first question wasn't exactly clear, it kind of became a 2 thing thread. IMAGINE THAT ON THE Café'!

Hart was NOT flaming me, he was simply asking for clarification as it seemed as if there was a discrepancy. What is so bad about that? There was no flaming by him and certainly not by me. Seems as if throwing a fit about someone asking for clarification is the closest thing to a flame war that has happened here.

Maybe chilling out and letting others discuss is what is needed, and less policing the thread by those not on staff.

See nobody is arguing. Hart wanted to clarify, so I did. Not garbage really, at least I don't think so. Stop giving orders or get promoted to moderator.

Wow $50 bucks and they get it huh? I stand in awe.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
Danny,
Read the thread again.

Joe
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
Flec
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
Why the hell are magicians so secretive about how much they earn???

I get £250 for weddings, for corporate I start at £400 and try and work my way up as much as I can.

Surley the ones amongst us who work more, know that the client will 9 times out of 10 want to book the BEST rather than book the cheapest.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
It's not secretive, exactly. There is an issue that takes place, where someone states their rates, then someone else says "Oh, that's not nearly enough, I charge...", and that's it. The race is on. It's all about who caught the biggest fish. The worst problem I have run into is a complete unwillingness to accept the many many factors that are involved in rates. A perfect example is saying that you charge X per hour for strolling and have someone tell you that you are grossely undercharging because they charge Y for their stage show, and that is more. Then you get in to regional economies which everyone will completely ignore. Then someone will point you to a thread with a great formula for calculating what your rate should be, which when you use it provides the rate you are currently charging, and you have been assured is entirly too low, and you are undercutting everyone else.


THAT is why magicians are so secretive about their rates.
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2007-04-07 23:25, iwillfoolu wrote:
And none of this has to do with the OP. (what performers actually charge)

If you want to argue over who said what three topics ago, start your own topic.

Answer the question. Tell what you charge (give a range) or what your competition charges, but please stop filling posts with this kind of garbage.

Getting paid = professional (IMO) and professionals shouldn't act like this.

I hope this post gets Sticky Noted and copied to the top of all the forums as it applies to many flame wars. Some people should be booted for the above type of posts, it makes the Café look bad (IMO again)

Joe


Posted: Apr 7, 2007 11:38pm
BTW I already told what I charge and to completely answer the question I have heard other local entertainers charging between $50 and $200 per hour (and getting it).

Joe


Booted for what posts? Because I wanted to clarify what Danny said?
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Seems I always undercharge and underbid. Especially for strolling. I had my rate at 150 US a hour for too long. I do not mind this rate for the repeat bookers. Some get disgruntled and wonder why strolling is cheaper then a one hour show. OF course you explain to them the way this business works and all then its usually then the price shoppers that take up your precious time.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
I think many magicians undercharge.

The guy who won eating the most hot dogs in a national contest gets $15,000 per appearance.

:)

Think about it... Smile
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Quote:
On 2007-04-09 07:37, Flec wrote:
Why the hell are magicians so secretive about how much they earn???

I get £250 for weddings, for corporate I start at £400 and try and work my way up as much as I can.

Surley the ones amongst us who work more, know that the client will 9 times out of 10 want to book the BEST rather than book the cheapest.


Well I'm glad THIS post turned up. I was starting to worry about this thread. I'm guessing some of the low-ish prices for corporate walk around must be due to greater competition in the US.

But here in Oz I would hazard a guess that the average is $400 an hour. That's what I charge and most of the guys I know either charge that or more. So taking into account the conversion rate, corporate close up should be MORE than $400 an hour in the states.

This is a really surprising thread. It seems the UK guys are getting good dough though.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2008-07-24 14:47, magicofCurtis wrote:
I think many magicians undercharge.

The guy who won eating the most hot dogs in a national contest gets $15,000 per appearance.

:)

Think about it... Smile


Yeah I am thinking about it a lot. Tired of underpricing myself. With the feedback I get from clients from 90 percent of my gigs, I usually realize after the show that I charged WAY less then I should have.

Its not the money but the time involved. Especially when a show does not start on schedule, I stay late to give a little extra, get there way ahead of time to ensure proper set up etc etc. Then I look at what I got per hour and wish I had of done strolling instead. Less to carry and set up.

OH well, live and learn. When I do not perform for a while, I feel I get rusty and wanting to be back out there. I have a regular job so it provides me with flexibility.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What are the rates for close up in your area? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL