The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Sucker Punch DVD by Thom Peterson (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1208 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Quote:
This DVD features 9 great sneak attacks to daze and amaze your audiences!

Features:

* Lemonade Racket: A great stand-up piece where you produces a lemon, a full glass of lemonade, then a bottle of hard lemonade. Biff! Bam! Pow!
* Pocket Lint: Pocket lint grows into your missing sock, then out of the sock falls your missing set of keys! What's will turn up next? Your ex-girlfriend?
* A Hole: 4 aces jump out of a mixed up deck, then the deck rights itself into new deck order. You like card stuff? We got yer card stuff right here, pal!
* E.S.P. Your Pants: A sophisticated mental E.S.P. card effect with a juvenile name. This piece is a great way to get multiple spectators involved in the magic.
* Fortune 500: A complete routine with borrowed bills that wind up inside of a sealed fortune cookie. Right out of Thom's Castle act.

Plus 4 other knock-out routines for close up and stand up!

Sounds really good, does any one know anything about this?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
No, first I read of it. I did have his AMAZING GUY DVD.

Tony
AmazingGuy
View Profile
New user
USA
1 Post

Profile of AmazingGuy
Hehehehehe! Hey guys! Thom here. The video JUST came out this last week (it's now 8/4/06) so I've barely seen it myself ;-)

Anxious to hear what you all have to say about it. I hope you like it.

-Thom
Jakal
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Jakal
His magic is wonderful without being boring.
And useful.
Buy~ Will not get disappointed.
Everybody will become his fan.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I loved his AMAZING GUY DVD. Excellent magician and a really creative thinker.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2971 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I agree..The Amazing Guy video was well,amazing as well as entertaining. I'll be looking into this new offering for sure.
dave
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Bosco J.
View Profile
Elite user
New York
463 Posts

Profile of Bosco J.
Ditto. I really enjoyed his Amazing guy DVD as well. Some really clever thinking. If "sucker punch" is of a similar caliber, we're in for a treat.

It is "Amazing" how little Thom Peterson's material is mentioned here on the Café.

Bosco
Mr Amazeo
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazeo
From an insider's perspective (I was there when he was taping it at the Acadia Café), this stuff is great! He's offering some cool, perfect for cabaret, style effects, as well as some great close-up routines. I've always thought Lemonade Racket was a great opener, and Thom does it well. I'm surprised he's giving up the goods on Fortune 500.

Hey Thom, when are you bringing my scooter back?!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Any reviews from someone that has this DVD?

Chris

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
No one got this?

Chris

magicbob74358
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of magicbob74358
I own it and think it's well worth the price, I really don't have time to get into a detailed reveiw but I could in a few days, week tops.
magicbob74358
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of magicbob74358
Lemonade Racket is without a doubt the highlight of the dvd it combines 3 tricks into a routine with a common theme, which most magicians can't seem to do, it also has great tips on performing these effects naturally and practically.

Pocket Lint is certainly an unusual routine but it can play well when done right, I would not suggest this to be performed anywhere in which people might be eating, granted the sock is clean but personally I think it would be better to perform in a stand up situation just for that reason. I do like the idea of the routine very much, everyone loses socks in the dryer so it does have mass appeal.

E.S.P. Your Pants, personally I really didn't care for this handling, I'm someone who believes mentalism should be straight forward, this is not that. basically you and a spectator get esp cards, shuffle them up, yours go face down, and the spectator lays theres face up next/on top of yours, then the cards are collected and then cut, after that the cards are dealt back onto the table and finally shown to match. I believe that in true mentalism you would not and should not gather up the cards, cut and deal, this makes it more like metal magic and less like mentalism. However, it will still play for a laymen well, just don't think of this as the be all and end all of esp predictions.

Fortune 500 is basically the bill in nut, with fortune cookies, I would have been more impressed by this routine, but I'm very familar with many versions of the effect, including one by Dan Harlan which also uses fortune cookies. If you're already familar with Ammars handling and Harlans you can still get a few gags, lines, and tips on performing. Unless you're a nut about the bill in nut (like I am) then it's well worth your time.

A Hole: I didn't really care for "a hole" mainly because I'm a card guy and have seen effects like this time and time again. I am somewhat bias when it comes to ace productions, I believe Darwin Ortiz is the only person to impress me with an ace production and will probably be the only person to do that. "a hole" will play well for laymen and it taught fairly well on the dvd, if you're not into cards it'll take a decent amount of practice, however you don't have to be an expert and many card guys know most of these moves so it not tough to learn.

"Bouce" is a cute stand up routine, basically you show a box of bouce (the fabric softer) you remove one of the sheets, roll it into a ball, light it on fire and ta-da it turns into a ball (which bouces). I think this would play very well for kids, I do feel some adults will want to roll their eyes at some of the jokes, but will play very well for a family type show and for kids shows.

"marked Improvement" is a routine in which a "regular" deck of cards changes so that the names of the cards are now written on the back, basically transforming the deck into the worlds worst marked cards. I really don't have any complaints on the routine, however I feel a need to point out that Simon Lovell has a really great routine with basically the same plot, if forced to choose a favorite, I would prefer Simon's routine, but Thom's is still great.

"pit boss" can basically be thought of as a close up mental epic routine (without slates and whatnot) with a gambling plot, this routine will not win you over with methods, however it will win you over with a well thought out plot and great patter, finally a version of the effect which makes sense.

"nikito" last but not least. I would describe the effect as a okito coin box routine mixed with a coin matrix effect. I'm not really a coin guy so it's hard for me to judge, I would like to say that I was impressed by the effect and would think you would enjoy it too.

Overall I would suggest to go out and buy this dvd, I would consider this mostly to have A+ material and a few items that are still worth taking a look at and some of the routines that I didn't care for I know others will love. I just wish I could say the same thing about most dvds.

I would also like to say that Amazing guy was a great dvd as well and I feel it's safe to assume that anything that Thom puts out will be well worth the price.
fooksau
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of fooksau
Thanks for the review. This will definately go on my to-buy list.
How many Magicians does it take to advertise a trick? Three.. One to steal the trick. One to steal HIS trick. And one to write a good review.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-08-04 14:17, AmazingGuy wrote:
Hehehehehe! Hey guys! Thom here. The video JUST came out this last week (it's now 8/4/06) so I've barely seen it myself ;-)

Anxious to hear what you all have to say about it. I hope you like it.

-Thom

Thom made one post and never returned.

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5827 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Thom Peterson's Sucker Punch has a nice collection of routines which show the breadth of venues most professionals face. There are routines for stage, emcee, close-up, and strolling. What that means is that if you only work traditional close-up you will find at least a few routines are NOT for you on this DVD. Maybe they will delight and inspire you to branch out. And as Martha would say, "That's a good thing." What you will find is a collection of real world methods for real world magic on which you can build your own presentations.

Peterson's performing style won't be for everyone. His humor and comedy is admittedly juvenile. One of the issues which can arise from such a style is that the performer can feel like he is just plodding through the routines and that they arrive at the end with a not particularly funny joke, gag, or bit. I felt this way on several of the routines here including Pocket Lint and Lemonade Racket. Not bad tricks he just steps on the climax trying to make a joke. If, however, you wipe the presentation slate clean you will find some very workable mechanics and frameworks.

There is a 4 ACE routine (with a juvenile name) which has a nice punchiness to it. It gets to the point and has a dynamite kicker ending. This is what table hopping magic should be, especially if you are working a banquet. As mentioned above it reads to an audience like any other such routine, I just felt once it got going it cut to the chase quite nicely.

The ESP trick (another juvenile name) is an example of applying a principle and frame work which are solid to meandering presentation. What happened is not clear. Did the performer do this? Did the participant do this? What is the meaning of the outcome? As mentioned further up in the thread, I think the handling one is likely to run into doing this trick is truly too "movey" for a mentalism routine. The way it is presented there is far too much handling and outright mixing of the cards by the performer for this to be anything more than a magician's trick. I would suggest the ESP cards are not at home with this presentation and that other cards like picture cards or letter cards, maybe even postcards would be better suited for this method. There is some solid thinking Peterson shares about the opportunity to get several people at a large table involved in this routine. As a lesson in that, this presentation would have benefited from being shown in that exact environment. It is that environment which can be used to cover the handling needed, and for the magic's sake don't point out the handling. It should fade into the background.

For me the strongest routine is one not even listed on the box. Peterson does a very competent mental epic without the board effect. While I agree with his thinking on the structure of the flow of the routine, I disagree with his solution for it, in particular the final item. It wastes one of the potentially most devastating tools in magic. If you are going to use that please get more drama and punch out of it and make it purposeful. I felt it was just the easy solution... not necessarily the best.

There are a few skits added in, I suppose, to lighten up the DVD. I found them for the most part juvenile and made the DVD perhaps seem even more juvenile. I felt this juvenile air really distracted from the fact (have I mentioned it enough?) that there is some truly nice framework, advice, and foundation on which to build some truly nice magic.

Which brings me to another point. The general public already sees magic as a series of juvenile pranks to entertain kids. Be very certain that is how you want your performance and magic in general to be received before you go out and present magic in a juvenile framework.

Buy this DVD based on the strength of the methods and ignore the presentation style if you do not care for it. I believe you will be rewarded if you do.
roi_tau
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel
333 Posts

Profile of roi_tau
Hi Guys

I just had the plessure to host Thom Peterson in my house (after he gave a terific lecture in MARS magic convention)

I have seen him perform his routines live and he sure is THE AMAZING GUY!!

But more important - He is a great funny guy which I was very happy to be with.

I now have his BOTH DVD- run and buy them - they are great!

Have fun
Roi
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
For some reason I forgot to post my review of the DVD here...I'll have to find it. The DVD is very entertaining and the magic is solid.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-11-28 20:55, MagicSanta wrote:
For some reason I forgot to post my review of the DVD here...I'll have to find it. The DVD is very entertaining and the magic is solid.

Your review would mean allot to us!!

Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1208 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Where's the review MagicSanta?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Mixed in with about two thousand documents, I'll have to find it and put it up. I'll try to get it this weekend.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Sucker Punch DVD by Thom Peterson (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL