The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review request: Skullkracker by Bob Sheets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I thought the online video for Skullcracker looked darn good. Looks like a winner from the two Bob's.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Great Stevini
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of The Great Stevini
After being really into magic as a little kid, I'm just now getting back into the art as an adult. Thus, I'm relatively inexperienced. I have Greed and Two Dollar Window and am interested in SkullKracker. Is this an effect that would be suitable for my experience level or more for sleight of hand experts.
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
Hi Eephus,
We decided to make Skullkracker a training DVD devoted to making it easy to learn all the details of the method but also to supply you with a comprehensive set of variations on not only the method but different presentations.

I believe Skullkracker is worth your investment of time ant money. I also believe the level of instruction will have you up to speed in no time. The handling will be new to most magicians. It's not like cards or coins so everybody will be starting at "square one". That being said I think you'll have it up to speed in just a couple of days.

Some tricks are more fun to practice than others too. I think Skullkracker is a blast....

Last but not least the effect Skullkracker has on spectators is the real payoff for investing the time and money. You just won't believe their faces.

On the DVD Bob Sheets tips a phenomenal idea to practice Skullkracker. Do it to cashiers...at convenience stores etc. The best part is you only need to do half of the handling so it makes it easy to get up to speed.
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
I got this yesterday and I just had a few moments to take a look at it.

Wow...it's just great.

Michael nailed everything and I agree 100%. The first thing that really stands out is the level of quality in it all. The production of the DVD, the instruction (very detailed - and I wouldn't ever expect anything less) is superb, and well, these guys just have a way of communicating the excitement of a trick.

They made me want to do it all day!

In my show, I stick with the Kozlowski change and am now looking for ways to add in this change to flesh out a bit longer of a routine (their hundred to one, 'their' new one to a check for a dollar(?) then maybe rip up the check and 'swipe' the pieces back to a folded/same-size hundred?). I will definitely be doing this in place of my current method for close-up.

Mr. Kohler is right when he says it will stay in the repertoire for a while. It's just that fun (and a clever and diabolical method) to do.

And oh yea I almost forgot, it LOOKS amazing.
The Great Stevini
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of The Great Stevini
Thanks...I think I've been convinced to pick this up.

Cheers.
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of Marqus
Twistedace asked 'How clean are you at the end?' and he didn't seem to get an answer. I'm wondering the same thing.

Also do you have to have long sleeves or have a jacket on? (I didn't see the web video.)

And finally, after the change is made, can you hand out the bill to the spectator to keep?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Nathan, I think I'll have to order this one! Anything put forth by Bob Kohler never let me down, ever.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Evolve, even those cheesy Scripted Insanity DVDs? Smile

Posted: Aug 5, 2006 5:05pm
Oops, too late to edit. Marqus and Twistedace, "clean" is a relative term and I can't say too much more without revealing method, but I can say that you don't have a TT to hide or ditch. Marqus, you don't have to wear long sleeves or a jacket, and after the change is made you could hand the bill to the spectator to keep...by the way, if you're using it to change a $1 bill to a $100 bill, I hope I'm that spectator.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2006-08-05 16:31, Larry Davidson wrote:
Evolve, even those cheesy Scripted Insanity DVDs? Smile

LOL Smile
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of Marqus
Larry,

Thanks for addressing my issues.

As far as changing a $1 bill to a $100 bill, I will probably do this a lot & let the spectator keep it; the thing is that their $100 will be in Monopoly money. Just kiddin' - I couldn't 'steal' a dollar from anyone.

But maybe those promotional $1,000,000 dollar bills (imprinted with your contact info) is worth a buck to an amazed spectator. But you better have done some AMZAING magic before trying to keep the buck.

Y'know, morals and all the stuff.
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
Monopoly money!

You could easily turn a $1.00 Monopoly bill into a reall $1.00 bill as size and color don't matter.

Bob Sheets gives PLENTY of routining ideas for most common situations. I'd give them a try in the beginning then modify my uses as required. Why not take advantage of Bob's experience.

Skullkracker is extremely comprehensive. The method is explained in detail, different changes and some tried and true routines Bob has worked up in the real world. Personally, I've been using his idea where you change a $20 into a $1. I know it seems backwards but that's the beauty of it. For me it's a perfect walk a round routine. It wins on every level. It's visual and very funny.
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
The two Bob's have a lifetime of close-up experience from the streets, to bars, to tradeshows and everything in between. Sometimes you just have to have "faith" when workers tip their mitts, as it were!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
SmoothAM
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of SmoothAM
Nice looking effect. Is it totally impromptu?
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Oh, this effect actually turned out to be totally different that what I thought it would be before it was released.
And the cover is so different from the contents and style in the demo too.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1223 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Bob actually didn't plug his own product as much as I think he could have.

But to expound on what he was saying....Bob Sheets teaches handlings on the DVD as to how to do the bill switch with different sizes and color of money. For example, he uses two bills from India, one is significantly larger than the other. It looks very nice. He also discusses going from a regular bill to one of those large jumbo bills. And finally, a nice routine where you can write a check for a dollar amount and instantly change the check into the dollar.

Size change, color change, top change....all covered. Well....maybe not the top change.

I am curious though about why Bob seems to be featuring a number of goofy guys with mustaches in his last few DVD's. Must be something in the water at the ol' Brooke Farm. Smile
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
509 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
Michael Dustman,

Can this method be used as a billet swtich?

Peace.
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Agreed Evolve, gotta get it. You will love it and use it.

It is a versatile working. The size changes in the bills makes for a nice visual. Impromptu? Sure, if you're prepared. Smile Plus, there is just something about getting routines straight from guys who are (ahem) well, older. By that I mean guys who have seen enough new stuff to not be affected as easily when someone comes forth with their revision on something.

The critical eye of time gives an objective perspective with which to view the tides and turns in magic (more so every passing year), and yet remain unaffected insofar as to use only that which is, well good. That is NOT meant to sound fortune cookie-ish.

In a nutshell, you can trust their work. They've discarded more ideas than I've had good or bad ones. But anyway...

Today I get to actually spend some time working with the DVD. Yes!

Larry, your DVD's are next. I am really excited to learn more about scripting. I think my show could use far more scrutiny in every detail to make it more memorable and magical.

Okay, I am putting down my Sunday reading, trying to log off the Café, and cracking open the Skullkracker DVD now.
silverzer0
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of silverzer0
If anyone is curious what the effect looks like with a check-to-bill switch:

Click here!
shaunproof
View Profile
Loyal user
Parts Unknown
228 Posts

Profile of shaunproof
What's the difference between this and the Juan Hundred Dollar Bill switch (which is done with the bill completely open). If I folded the bill in half and did the Juan Hundred Dillar Bill switch, would the effect be the same?
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
The handling's different and the Juan Hundred Dollar Bill Switch is somewhat more angle sensitive because of something it uses that Skullcracker doesn't use. Also, I understand that Skullcracker includes a number of different ideas for transformations.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review request: Skullkracker by Bob Sheets (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL