The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking and Begging (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea you can fight it and lose big time. Maybe win the legal battle but lose the war big picture. Just move along, and come back later or another day.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I see this topic and I am reminded of my mother, long passed. She was a very proper Irish lady and as a child I often heard her tell me that "I can't see my friends now that you've embarrassed me so much." Ah yes how to make guilt work for you. Well if she only knew that I busk for a living! She would never understand that it wasn't begging.

Unfortunately this is still the attitude of a lot of people here in the States. If you don't have a "REAL" job you must be a beggar. What is funny is that if you are a musician, it's acceptable, but a magician is not an entertainer in their view.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2006-08-19 21:32, johnnymystic wrote:

So what do I do?

You should read all the information at:
http://communityartsadvocates.org/saalegal.html

And contact the ACLU:
http://www.aclu.org

You did mention campus police? Is this indeed a public location? As in a state campus, or a private school?

JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Campus police...apparently the street is private property, ownedby Williams College...in Williamstown Ma.

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
If it is private property, there really isn't much you can do ... the owner of the property has every right to decide who can (and can not) perform there.

You basically have two options ... seek permission to perform there, or find another pitch.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
The best buskers I've seen have never mentioned money - they've had the hat out and sincerely thanked every single person who put any amount of money in it - but never ever suggested that anyone need put money in - this seems to motivate people to step up to the plate with pride - parents dropping money in - and then giving their kids something to put in - teaching them how it's done. It seems to be the absolute worst buskers with very little ability and no social skills beyond bare faced cheek who harangue people to give them money.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
It seems that if institutions are labelling buskers as panhandlers then this problem is more then just isolated to a few jerks.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
You hit the hammer on the nail my friend...thus seemeth the problema...

johnny

Posted: Aug 23, 2006 12:31am
Heres another thing...in Williamstown Ma (where my pitch WAS), on Spring st.they let a female musician accept tips in her case, she was even in the local newspaper.

WHy would I get the boot being a magician?

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-08-19 21:32, johnnymystic wrote:
I was kicked off my pitch and ran outta town today!!!

Okay...I wasn't really run outta town but it felt like it! While trying to busk today in Williamstown Ma. The local police and campus police pull up and tell me to take a hike, what I'm doing is PANHANDLING and because I hope for tips its the same thing!

Theres even this young lady who goes to almost the same spot, plays guitar, leaves her case open for tips...she didn't get run off and on top of it was in the local paper for doing! What the hell!!!???

Note that you said "almost" the same spot. If she's past the campus boundary line, they can't do anything. (And of course, guitar players are consider "artistic" while magicians are consider "sleazy.")
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Its possibly because she may be a cute rock chick... and your well... Mr Mystic...No offence but If I showed up to a pitch with my tattoos and gold teeth in my mouth, my juggling stuff ect. I'm sure theyd probably try and move me as well. Also music tends to be a backround noise and a busker is more in your face. Being a buskers is seen as being a nucence by many but music is "lovely art"... my feeling is if she sucked at guitar and sucked loud enough shed be ask to move as well.

Who knows Im not there,

Anton

p.s. I know a lot magi around here that see street performing as begging. Belive that! Brothers in magic seeing what we do as cheap and ***ish.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking and Begging (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL