The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking as a first job? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

trombley
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of trombley
Hey all I was just wondering if you think busking would be a alright place to start for essentially my first magic job. I have done a couple paid walk around gigs but nothing too huge.

A little background on me. I have been doing magic for about 12 years as a hobby since I was a kid. Over the last 5 years or so I have really improved to what I feel is a professional level and did a few walk around gigs at small companies Christmas parties that went very well.

I am really interested in the crowd interaction you get from busking and feel like I would really enjoy it. I have books such as the art of krowd keeping and gazzo's cups and balls. I have also read a lot through this forum for ideas.

So I guess I am just looking for advice on if I should try busking or if I should stay with walkaround/restaurant style to build up some experience. (even though I know its nothing like the street)

Thanks

Matt
Noel M
View Profile
Loyal user
San Rafael. CA
208 Posts

Profile of Noel M
Yor are right that busking is not the same as walk around. But it seems you've put a lot of thought into it. Go out and try it a few times. I don't think you have anything to lose. It won't be the end of you walk around career.

Busking holds no appeal for me, but years and years ago I was a street musician at Fisherman's Wharf in SF. I thought it was a good idea, and I really did ok, but it was such a hassle getting to and from, being in the fog or sun all day etc so I gave it up. Another guy has been there over 25 years, something about it must appeal to him. You should give yourself the satisfaction of giving busking a try.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Good advice from Noel. Most importantly it is honest. The streets are not for everyone. You need to be a special kind of person (idiot) to do this. But, if you go out on the street and create a good show you will have something that is better than 90% of the market. Street performing is the only place left in the world since the death of Vaudeville where you can start out being bad and keep going until you are on par with any other working professional entertainer. There are no venues left where you can be bad and have such a thin separation of the fourth wall.

Your first day out you will probably be horrible. I was horrible for my first year! Keep at it, don't give up, and work as much as you can. If you have the guts to stick it out you will have created something unique to you. I'm sure Noel will agree that even though the streets were ultimately not for him having worked them made him a much better entertainer. The streets are the place to get your PHD in entertaining.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Danny is right. And I think along those lines Danny, if I may be so bold it is really the only place you have the absolute RIGHT to be bad if you are. You are not charging as a professional entertainer. Many of us are fantastic and that was not my point. Being bad is allowable and learning is also. IF you sell a client on a $500.00 show and want to LEARN as you go, well that is unfair.

The street is not for everyone. I knew one guy in Chicago got all reved up because according to him he did the equivilant of "street magic" by approaching tables. What a hard lesson that was.

I don't do street magic any more (read as street magic was used prior to what TV has told us street magic is), but WOW what a learning experience. To tell the truth if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere! Plus the instant gratification of passing the hat, a rush every time.

Danny also the open mic. nite lets you be horrible, but is vanishing like the Condor.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It takes guts to perform as a busker. My first year at TRF, I was really not ready. But I learned and learned quickly. I finally hit my stride about the second weekend of the second year.

It takes guts, determination and practice.

Get out there, do it, and above all, make them like you.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2006-08-01 16:25, Dannydoyle wrote:
Danny also the open mic. nite lets you be horrible, but is vanishing like the Condor.

Danny, VERY funny story about open mics around here. In the 80's on any given night in this area you could see Dennis Leary, Sam Kinison, Lenny Clark, Bobcat Golthwait, Steven Wright, etc... I mean the Boston area was just loaded to the gills with unbelievable talent. Every corner store, Chinese restaurant, and back room in a bowling ally had an open mic. When the above mentioned guys stated to make it really big many of these joints started to have "auditions" for open mic night. I remember having a very colorful and downright hysterical conversation about this with a club owner in my old home town. Auditions for open mic night, what a hoot!

But the main thing is you can't be good without having been really bad at some point.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
This is true, BUT you have to find a place to be bad and do the least damage!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Danny doesn't know crud! Smile Whats up Dan?
koz
trombley
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of trombley
Thanks for all the advice so far. I am really looking forward to trying it. I'm sure I will learn more on my first few tries than I can be taught. Hopefully I can keep calm and remember all the things from the Art of Krowd Keeping.

Anybody know of any good starting pitches in Toronto? I can think of a few but I'm not sure if the police will let you work there. I heard Toronto is pretty relaxed about busking outside of the subway but having never tried I can't say for sure.

Matt
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2006-08-01 21:16, tedb wrote:
Danny doesn't know crud! Smile whats up dan?
koz

G'wan, ya' mudder drinks Budweiser. Smile Give me a call you old son of a so and so!

Best,

Dan-

Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Ok man
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking as a first job? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL