The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » ITR (and ring) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Hi Guys,
Just wondering which ITR you thought was the best for buying- I work mainly close up, with some parlour magic. The Boss seems good, but people have reccommended the standard.
Also, just wondering what tips you guys have for getting hooked up, if you are say in the middle of a room, or standing at a table. Is it possible to hook onto a spectator, or would that be too risky.
I was in Davenports the other day in London, discussing floating a ring, and another man joined in and was explaining how to float a ring using thread so that it floats horizontally. Unfourunately, it was more a passing comment, so I can't really remember what the hook up was for that. Does any one have any thoughts? Would it work with an ITR?
Thanks for all the help guys,
Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I don't have a recommendation for which ITR is best for floating a ring, because I use Mesika's Loops to perform that effect. IMO, it's a much more practical method than using an ITR because you wear the loops without anyone noticing, they're out of the way when you perform all of your other effects, they can be instantly brought into play without anyone noticing when you're ready to perform the floating ring, you don't need to wear a jacket, there are no "hook up" issues like there are with an ITR, etc.
DonMarco
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of DonMarco
I would second the reccomendation for the loops. There is also a book that Mesika wrote called "Animated Miracles" that has a really pretty floating ring routine in it as well as several other wonderful items. Highly reccommended.
"Imagination is the Only Reality"-- Marquis de Sade
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
I agree with the use of the loops for floating the ring (as I have done), but I feel that its a shame that you can't move your hands further away from the ring. Does anyone know the hookup to make the ring float flat? I'll keep using the loops for close up though.
Thanks for the help,
Simon, 21
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2002-12-18 07:44, sjdavison wrote:
I agree with the use of the loops for floating the ring (as I have done), but I feel that its a shame that you can't move your hands further away from the ring. Does anyone know the hookup to make the ring float flat? I'll keep using the loops for close up though.
Thanks for the help,
Simon, 21

Simon, re. moving your hands further away from the ring, what you view as a weakness I view as a strength. IMO, if you perform a floating effect close-up and make the object float for too long (which would be the result IMO if you moved your hands too far away), it leads laymen to one of two logical conclusions - - magnets or thread. When performing the floating ring with loops, I don't even move my hands as far as the loop will allow. I like to leave the audience wondering if they actually saw what they think they saw. Your mileage may vary.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
True, but I'd like to move my hands completely away from the ring, if only briefly. I do like the idea of just a very small duration of floating, but it would be nice to float it between the hands, then gesture to another spectator to come nearer, or something similar, as this would dispell the idead of a thread from the hands. I guess its a difficult question, how long the ring should float for. That said, I don't like the long floats, as you say. it makes the method more obvious.
Thanks for the advice,
Simon, 21
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1354 Posts

Profile of bekralik
Rings need plenty of reinforcement because of their weight.

The best ring floating routine I've seen is on the second ITR video, I think, the PK Pencil and Ring by James George, which is also a separately available item. But it requires an elaborate setup.

If you're walking around or at a table, I suggest hooking-up to a glass that you're drinking out of, putting the glass down at the table, and you're ready.

Brian
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Like the idea Brian. Any idea how to cleanly get a ring onto a thread when already hooked up at two points?
Thanks, Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
yosef_dov
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC area
242 Posts

Profile of yosef_dov
Greetings...
I used a variation on a Fearson hookup with a ring, and it allows me to get hold both of my hands palm up and the ring levetates above my hands... it throws off people who suspect a thread between the hands...
Also, check out the ITR tapes and vids-- the latest Thread vids from Ammar are actually pretty good and cover various thread methods including ITR and loops...

Joe
Smile
Glen
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Glen
I use a drinking straw for a ring float. The ring goes up and down the straw and then floats off the end into the air, floats back onto the straw and into the spectators hand while their eyes are popping out of their head.
griffindance
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of griffindance
Quote:
On 2002-12-22 18:05, sjdavison wrote:
Like the idea Brian. Any idea how to cleanly get a ring onto a thread when already hooked up at two points?
Thanks, Simon

Theres a basic ring-off-rope trick that I learnt early on. Im only just starting with IT work but using the same method to get the ring onto the thread works. can be done easily and inconspicuously. It does look odd if the ring is borrowed and has an elaborate design. The weight ensures that it floats upside down. Use a plain ring that has no "Up" and "Down." The other problem is that the ring is fixed in place on the thread. Cant really "Float" it in any way except directly up and down.
Craig Dickson
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Valley, NY
353 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickson
No one thread systems solves all problems. They all have strengths and weaknesses. Sorcery Shop still makes a good reel, Elastic Thread, Kevlar Thread, Nylon Thread and Loops all have advantages and disadvantages. If you want to play with thread magic, get informed, and then try them all.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » ITR (and ring) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL