The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Novel Recommendations (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
I would like to recommend a novel that I think most of you will enjoy. It's a thriller by John Case called 'The Murder Artist'. I picked it up after reading a review of it by John Racherbaumer in his column some months back. I won't give too much away...but the story does include magic, voodoo, bizarre themes and a trip to the Magic Castle. You can pick it up in paperback. And while we're at it...does anybody out there have any other novels to recommend those of us interested in the bizarre side of magic? 'Magic' by William Goldman comes to mind...a good movie but a terrific book! Any others?
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Hiya Prof. and thanks for the book tip!

Have your tried "The Arcanum" by Thomas Wheeler?
A Houdini, Doyle, Lovecraft adventure?
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
The Bullet Trick, Louise Welsh, 2006

H D X!

--Lydia 15
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Of course run don't walk to read
"Carter Beats the Devil" by Glen Gold
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Magicians will also enjoy the alternative world of Victorian Magic in Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel by Susanna Clarke

This book puts the fear back in mirrors Smile
Dr. Hoodwink
View Profile
New user
Eastern NC
42 Posts

Profile of Dr. Hoodwink
For fans of Strange & Norrell, be pleased to note that Ms. Clarke has a new book of short stories coming out soon-ish. These stories are (supposedly) set in the same world as Strange & Norrell. Expect to see Strange himself and Childermass.

I can also recommend Robertson Davies' "Deptford Trilogy." Check out what magician Magnus Eisengrim says about being a magician in book two.

Note: I work at a major chain bookstore.

Regards,
Rob
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Rob:

Thank you. Hopefully there are further adventures on the other side of the looking glass.

Tony
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Geek Love!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
The Amazing Adventures of Kavelier & Clay by Michael Charbon is fantastic!

Tourists by Lisa Goldstein is a wondrous book, and I'm about to read another novel of hers, The Red Magician.

For a whole anthology of magic-themed mystery and crime fiction, find a used copy of Sleight Of Crime: 15 classic tales of murder, mayhem and magic.

Richard Matheson -- author of a number of sci-fi and horror classics, penned a fun magical thriller that's easy to find used, called Now You See It....

The mystery/crime novels of Clayton Rawson -- frequent contributor to The Jinx, and one of the four founding members of Mystery Writers of America -- often featured the supersleuthing exploits of a magician (The Great Merlini, Don Diavolo). All of the following can be found used, and some have been reprinted: Death From A Top Hat; Footprints on the Ceiling; The Headless Lady; No Coffin For The Corpse; Death Out Of Thin Air.

Nightmare Alley by William Gresham, a great noir novel about a carny mindreader (made into a classic noir film starring Tyrone Power ).

Best,
Neil

P.S. For the best used book searches, go to http://www.Addall.com Smile
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
The Horrific Sufferings of the Mind-Reading Monster Hercules Barefoot, His Wonderful Love and his Terrible Hatred by Carl-Johan Vallgren, Vintage 2006.

H D X!

--Lydia 15

inner being worker
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
These are some wonderful suggestions. Some I have read...and some I own but haven't gotten to yet, such as the Matheson book (his 'I am Legend', although not a magic-related story, is one of my favorite horror novels of all time). I am making a list and will start hunting for the others. Thanks, guys! I recall a great short story called 'The Problem of Cell 13' which kind of fits the bill. Not magic-related, but it involves a clever escape. Can't remember the author's name.
Rory Raven
View Profile
Special user
Providence, RI
514 Posts

Profile of Rory Raven
>'The Problem of Cell 13' which kind of fits the bill. Not magic-related, but it >involves a clever escape. Can't remember the author's name.

The author's name is Jacques Futrelle, who was born in Georgia, wrote for a Boston newspaper, and went down on the TITANIC. Wrote a number of clever and vastly entertaining stories about Prof. Augustus S. F. X. Van Dusen ("The Thinking Machine"), and "Cell 13" is only one of them.

Van Dusen stories have been reprinted several times in the last twenty years or so, so you should have little difficulty finding them if you're interested.

Enjoy!

Rory
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx
visit www.roryraven.com today!
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Rob,
That was very very exciting news about Ms. Clarke!

Yep Neil,
Kavelier & Clay is really fantastic. Have you seen some of the further Adventures of the Escapist in the graphic novels?

Right now I'm finally reading The Prestige by Christopher Priest and I'm enjoying it, trying to finish it before I see the film.
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
Speakingof graphic novels, if you have any interest in this fantastic artform, do yourself a favor and check out the work of Thomas Ott, especially his latest 'Cinema Panopticum'.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
The "Lord Darcy" stories by Randall Garrett, available in a paperback collected works edition. Detective stories set in a parallel world where magic works but technology doesn't. Plenty of discussion of the theory of magic.

Barry
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
For lovers of old times Luna Park and tats: The Electric Michelangelo, Sarah Hall, 2004, PB, Harper Perennial. Her stunning prose will astonish you.

H D X!

--Lydia 15

inner being worker
ellisd
View Profile
Veteran user
Sacramento
330 Posts

Profile of ellisd
Shadowland by Peter Straub!!!!!
http://www.erictheballoondude.com

Balloon Twisting for all of Sacramento!
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Straub is great (Ghost Story is a favorite). And just read the Shadowland synopsis on Amazon. That looks like a beauty!

Thanks,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Interesting Magic theory and images in those Philip Pullman "His Dark Materials Trilogy" books.

Every adult I recommend them to seems to then really groove on them...I think it became a theatre/play also...a movie in the works?

A very out there story.
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1421 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
"The Talisman" by Stephen King and Peter Straub. A great fun read. Not your typical Stephen King, (disturbing, graphic horror, knocking off kids and other innocents for a schock factor). This one moves along with excitement, wonder, adventure and suspense. Peter Straub was a good influence for a really decent novel from the two of them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Novel Recommendations (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL