The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Shady Cruise Ship (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Halfway done.......... 45 days to go.... I am starting to get the hang of it..

Its not so much the show itself I have to work on.. But the lifestyle..you know?

Like: eating at a buffet everynight.... Living and working with the SAME people day in day out.. Doing the SAME daily routine every day... Dealing with the other staff who see you like "this guy has it nice..he does no work and gets paid more than we do" etc... Practically no excersize all day.... Its a lifestyle.. A unique one..
Tricky Tom
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Tricky Tom
I enjoyed reading this thread. Keepposting about your experiences abaord the ship.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello Eric:

I have to say that I'm very impressed by the way you're tackling this. I would have to say that after reading your comments, cruising is definitely not for me. But...different strokes for different folks.

Keep us posted, please. This is very interesting reading.

Ron
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1012 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Okay Eric, I see the connect. You went to Wizards for new materail? I would love to be bore (life is odd, no). I think you have a perfect oppurtunity to work on you magic without distractions! I would spend all day working on my presentation,card, coin, and everything magic related. And the really neat thing is get to come home and pickup new books and such.

JerryB
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Yeah put 2 and 2 together huh? hehe

I AM taking advantage..Ex: I am NOT by any means a coin man.. I hate them..

But I decided to ignore my grudge and buy a 4 dvd modern coin magic set at Wizards.. that's what I am working on now.. kinda enjoying it..

Nice meeting you here... I will unfortunately not be having any more days off so its straight sailing for me until November 15th, when I return home.. talk to yuo all then.. peace
poprocz
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of poprocz
At least you can never say you didn't give it a try. As far as keeping from getting bored you might do some strolling coin work to get some pratice with people while at the same time reminding them about show at night. You never know just who you might impress and ask for a card so keep them handy also.
Please keep us in touch, this is an enjoyable read.
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Well I am finally back on dry land after my 3 month contract. It went beautifully, a little lonesome, but hey, small price to pay.

I thought it would be fun to write a little on my first cruise ship experience and the little tips and tricks I discovered on board. I am by NO MEANS a pro in this circuit but I wanted to write the impressions of a first time ship entertainer.

Like I said above in my earlier post, tha hardest thing is to adapt to the lifestyle. VERY repetitive. I guess some people like that. I have been back for 5 days and I can see that I had absolutely 0 stress on board. Now that I am back home, I found myself overwhelmed with all the things that were waiting for me to do. IE: reinstate my insurance and liscense, my health card was up, my car out of parking, contact all the clients who tried to get a hold of me and didn't like e mailing etc. SO much to do, after 3 months of easy life, it hit me hard.

Here are the things that I feel I have to talk about. COMMENT CARDS rule you.. Every single guest fills out a comment card about theie experience on board. They are very blunt and if they didn't have a good day, watchout. I found it very refreshing to actually read their comments about certain tricks and what they liked and didn't like. Most spectators will NEVER tell you that kind of feedback even when you send them a questionnaire after your show. They will still not be 100% honest because they are MAILING IT BACK TO YOU. On ships. they fill it out and they are gone, never to be seen again. I have seen several entertainers while I was there get the boot because of comment cards.

My best friend on board: THE MAID.. Think of it, this is the ONLY PERSON besides me that was in my room EVERYDAY. With over 3000$ worth of props. Not to mention my tv/dvds/IPOD etc. Take care of the maid, shes your best friend. She gives you perks like hot towels and fresh beds daily (they don't have to) About 10$ a week was the best investment I could ever make on board. She was like my mom.

The most important thing I found was to keep my mind busy. Fortunately I am obsessed with magic so it wasnt hard. Do you think you could entertain yourelf 12 hours a day sitting on a small bed? That was hard but I got the hang of it. I have MANY projects written down and in the works. Gives you a lot of alone time to think..

An argument early in this thread was about calling bingos and doing newly wed games for the guests etc. Some said it lessens you as a performer. I loved it.. Promoting the "9 oclock show" in every activity I did created amazing results. People knew me, knew I was funny, (calling a bingo can be HILARIOUS) So they came.. It wasnt until I started doing this that I filled my lounge everynight.. So much to do on a ship they have dozens of choices, getting them to come see me was key. I didn't feel likeperforming for 15 people everynight.

Originality was essential for me on board. Having a guest say "i travel a lot of ships and you are the first magician I see who didn't do that *** ketchup bottle trick or a rope trick etc" I found this to be my strong point, an original act gave me very good contacts. (with guests and ESPECIALLY with entertainment directors that came on board to see what was new)

The last thing I want to talk about is your colleagues. I was the only white person on the ship. I was viewed as "Hey rich canadian boy you don't need to come here to make money you got plenty in your country" kinda thing. A positive attitude and treating them like equals even though they make 100$ a month was imperative to build relationships. Remember if you upset someone on board your reputation is done. You are seen as snobby or unapreciative etc. You live with the crew 24 hours a day, they all have a specialty and believe me, if you **** off the electrician and some electrical problem happens in your cabin, don't expect yout TV to work for a couple weeks. Positive attitude was key.

Overall I liked it. 3 months was long but I took it easy. I would do it again. But not the same ship and probably only weeks at a time. I came back with a bunch of money saved up (only thing you spend on board is 1$ beer and 1$ cigarettes)

Now I am sitting here in my living room and my mind is telling me "get up you have to go call the 12 noon BINGO" but then I realize I am back to my old life... I don't have to do anything... except go do my groceries, go put gas in the car, go transfer my american money, call all my contacts for my holiday shows, call my lost sales, call the yellow pages for the add, get a haircut, pay all the rent I missed for 3 months, update my website, UNPACK, see when my spanish classes are starting, change my greetings on my cell phone and business line, re activate my cell phone, re activate my insurance.... maybe life on board was not so bad.........

thanks or reading guys..
Jason Palter
View Profile
V.I.P.
335 Posts

Profile of Jason Palter
Bonjour Eric:

I don't know if you remember me, but we met a few years ago at the CAM convention.

Anyhow, I loved reading about your experiences! My focus has never really been for the resort or cruise market (however, I have done a few land-based resorts in the Caribbean), but I am always so interested to hear how people cope with the ups and downs of doing that sort of thing. I have considered marketing myself more for cruises, but I'm not sure how I will be on a boat ("And for my next trick ladies and gentlemen....I'm going to make my LUNCH reappear!"). I'll have to think about it...

As I say, it's nice to read about what happened to you. You handled everything like the true pro that I remember you were when we met (no butt-kissing intended! lol). I know there are many---including myself---that could learn some things about the cruise industry based on what you wrote.

Anyhow, take care my friend!

Best regards,

Jason Palter
Paltergeist Unlimited
jason@paltergeist.com
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
843 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Eric,

Glad you had a great experience. keep in touch

Paul Pacific
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
317 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
Sounds like it was lotsa fun man!
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Eric LeClerc on a cruise ship!!! Unheard of! First it was Bangkok- now a cruise???! How have you been Eric?

Hope all is well,
Matt
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Great!!! Thanks for asking!!!!! This cruise really opened my eyes.. You learn so much about yourself when you are in unfamiliar surroundings....

you?
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Eric,

thanks for sharing all this. A fascinating read . . .

Andy
Cards never lie
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Eric - I just read all of this thread and it's just absolutely cool! I feel like a local deer hunter reading about going on safari in Africa. I loved hearing about your experience.

Derrick
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Thanks alot...

I wasnt going to continue writting about it once the thread died until I had a few requests to keep going. I kinda like the story as well. Thanks for reading!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Shady Cruise Ship (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL