The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Cross Cut Force (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Juble
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of Juble
I've seen the cross cut force used to force either the top card of the deck or the bottom card. Do any of you have any preference i.e. do you find it more deceptive to use it to force the top card than say the bottom one?

A friend of mine tried to use it to force the top card but to no avail and his participant brought clearly to his attention that it wasn't the card he cut to. This failure is most likely down to my friends presentation, casualness, time-delay, audience management etc etc, but has anyone found it more useful to force say the bottom card than the top??

Thanks

Justin

PS I know there are some good tips around on using the force, particularly from Michael Skinner...
frog52
View Profile
New user
Iowa
62 Posts

Profile of frog52
I would force the bottom card for effects that are quick, and where you show the selection yourself. The anonymity of the card should not be a big deal here.

On the other hand, I would force the top card for effects that are slower, and where the spectator must discover the selection without the possibility of a furtive peek from the magician.
Justin Hepton
View Profile
Regular user
Surrey, in the UK
136 Posts

Profile of Justin Hepton
Hi Justin! I know this force is looked down on by many, but I have used it many, many times and whether its the bottom card or the top card, the force is all about audience management and timing, and using the delay for just the right amount of time so that the spectator forgets what part of the deck of was where.

Like most things, its all about getting out there and just performing it, over and over again for as many strangers as you are able to. I am a firm believer in the theory that performing for people you know (ie friends and family) is not a good idea as you can't properly guage their reaction etc, but that's for another thread...!

For the record, I like this force, and its very effective for me, used in the right situation.

Justin (yes, me too!)
"After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box"

- Italian proverb
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
When I used the thing, I would use the bottom card and ask the spectator's to note that I could not see the face of the card "or the back for that matter, in case you think I'd stoop so low as to use marked cards".

It seemed to me that giving them that bit of information to digest would prevent them from thinking TOO much about the selection procedure itself.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I have always used the cross-cut force for the bottom card.

After making the cut, I find that a little time has to go by, with nothing happening other than casual small talk for a second (a quick joke or something) to take the spectators mind off of what is happening. It lowers their guard.

Then when I start back into the effect, they don't seem to notice anything out of the ordinary, and I am usually able to get on with it without any problems.

That seems to work well for me. Mark.
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
I have used the Cross Cut Force to actually force both the "original" top and bottom cards. The key, in my opinion, is to move the both talons as you mark the cut.

After the cards are shuffled, offer the deck for a spectator cut. Once this is done, move the orignal top of the pack to the side and then pick up the original bottom of the pack and place it on top of the first talon. I never cross the packets in a perpendicular fashion. I actually let the cards sort of "splay".

The "time delay" is used here as attention is directed away from the deck. When you return to the deck lift the top talon and point to the card remaining on the talon that is on the table using the top talon. If I was forcing one card, that would be the one.

When forcing two cards, pick up the top talon and turn it over to show the "original" bottom for the first force card. Then use the packet to point to the talon on the table and allow that to be shown as the second force card.

I classify the Cross Cut Force as a non-dynamic (non moving) force. It is good for some, but not all procedures. The more methods you have in your "utility belt", the better. That way, you can pick and choose what is best for the moment.

Enjoy the search,

Paul (The Classic Force is a dynamic force) Green
J Hanes
View Profile
Veteran user
PDX, OR
317 Posts

Profile of J Hanes
Dan Paulus from Salt lake City has a really nice touch on this force which I would love to discuss here but it's propritory. So if you can, see him work or get his video and you'll see the psychology that makes his handleing so fair.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
The cross cut force is something that I use almost on a regular basis.
it is one of my favourite forces because if you get the timing and your audience management right it is very deceptive and of course easy.
I tend to force the top card...i guess I just got used to it that way.
another such bold force is the godfather's giggle force. I suggest you PM him about it and he will be glad to send you the handling. I recommend looking into that.
good luck !

-Matt
Your One Stop Booze Abusing Comedy Magic Show!
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
I never use Cross Cut Force to force one card. I use it to force a portion of cards. So I sometimes force several cards on bottom or several cards on top. Or I use it to force top and bottom card as Green-san mentioned.

I don't think this Force is suitable for revelation purpose.

Hideo Kato
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
MAKE SURE that nobody but yourself knows what the bottom card is.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Dirko
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
294 Posts

Profile of Dirko
I always use the bottom card and plenty of time misdirection.
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
737 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
I agree with Matt; you should check out Vinny Marini's "Giggle Force." It can, with some modified handling, serve as an in-the-hands Cross-Cut Force.

Vinny can be reached at vinsmagic@aol.com. Enjoy. - Scott
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1207 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
Has anyone heard the rumor of a Darth Palal (sp?) force from elusionist?

Apparently your grandma's kitchen table variation of the cross cut force would now be done below waist level!

Imagine, BELOW THE WAIST!

In fact this force is done on a metal grate or manhole cover, by design! – Can anyone say “street magic”?

It’s apparently being marketed as “The Iron Krozz”.

A.

ps it's angle sensitive.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Cross Cut Force (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL