The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Anderson Paper Tear (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
I just bought the manuscript from what I thought was a legitimate magic shop. You would all recognize the name.

What I got was a very poor Xerox of an old writeup of the Anderson Tear. It had photos of Gene (I think! The Xerox is bad enough it's hard to tell.) The photos of how to prepare the newspaper are practically useless. There are several additions apparently typed onto the original in a completely different typeface. I think I understand enough to muddle thru without good photos. I'll know more when I get the gimmicked paper made and can try it out.

1. Did I get ripped off? Is there a cleaner, well-illustrated version out there, or is this what's commonly distributed? It would be a shame if such a great effect was relegated to this piece of trash.

2. The copyright is dated 1968 and the photos/drawings are 1974. Is it legal for Hank...er...this shop to sell Xerox copies? Do I have a pirated manuscript? And, if so, what, if anything should I do?
Nachtzehrer
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
322 Posts

Profile of Nachtzehrer
The one I got a long time ago, perhaps 10 years ago also looked like this. now you left me wondering. I get a lot of stuff like that from the same shop. is that legal I also ask.
Alex
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
I'm looking at mine from Al's Magic Shop from the mid 80's ($4.00 price tag still on it) - it's a 14-page 8.5"X11" pamphlet with orange art covers bound with 2 staples. It was published by Magic Inc. and while it has those halftone b&w photos of Gene Anderson as you describe, the typewritten portion and photos are very clear. The first 5 pages are just the writing, the next 6 are drawn illustrations for the construction and working of the trick, and the last 3 pages are the Anderson photos with some stick-figure-magician drawings thrown in. Sounds like yours might've been a copy of a copy, but then again, mine is 20 years old and who knows what incarnation it is typically in these days...
elecktra
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of elecktra
DoctorAmazo,
A few months ago, in April, I ordered Newspaper Magic by Gene Anderson and Frances Marshall. I think this is where they made the copies that you described. If you just google Gene Anderson, you can get his website and he sells the book for about 15.00. Its filled with really nice newspaper tricks and has clear pictures, illustrations, and he even autographed mine. I saw him in New York at 97th Annual Salute to Magic back in April and even though their were magicians there doing mentalism, and Copperfield type magic, everyone in the audience (especially the kids) really got a kick out of the newspaper tricks. ITs 160 pages and is published by Magic Inc, but its in its 11th printing so its a lot more clearer than maybe what you have.
keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
You may already have the write-up of the trick... and not even know it!

The "Anderson" Newspaper Tear is REALLY the KORAN (of Al Koran fame)Torn and Restored Newspaper Paper Tear, and is published in the wonderful text that so many own, but hardly ever read "Routined Manipulation Part One and Part Two" by Lewis Ganson published in 1950 available from most magic shops for $8-$10 along with dozens of other treasures just as practicle and wonderful.

Keith
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Although the effect is the same in both methods, there are differences in construction and handling between the Koran and Anderson torn and restored newspaper effects.

- entity
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
I guess it's possible that the distributor purchased the rights to reproduce the manuscript. This would legitimise the photocopying of a document and re-bind it and sell the copy.

If the copy is bad and unusable due to over copying then I'd say you have a right for reimbursement (dependant on local law, in the UK it would be considered 'not fit for purpose', ie no good for learning the secrets)

Maybe you could return it and ask for a decent copy, or a refund.
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
I also had an issue with them in the past. I bought an expensive and well known prop by a well know maker. Well what I got was not the prop and knew it. I called up and explained to them what was up and the took it back. I was happy that I got the money back but was upset that it happened in the first place. I had to think ..what if I didn't know the difference..Hmmmmmm Just my 2 cents worth. Brian
If your not having fun doing what your doing....dont do it!
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2778 Posts

Profile of John Long
Slightly off topic,

I got a version of Anderson Newspaper Tear in Leirpoll's Pocket Power (a very nice booklet), but the description of the necessary folds are hard to decipher. Is the book or pamphlet version relatively easy to figure out? (I am considering buying his book, it has other stuff)

Also, could someone PM on what the w*** gaff is to be made of, or obtained from?

Thanks
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2778 Posts

Profile of John Long
DocA

thanks for the PM
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Anderson Paper Tear (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL