The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Wikipedia of Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bassmanray03
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of bassmanray03
I have been working on a site similar to Wikipedia, yet it is going to be based around magic. The site is very young and has very little content. I was wondering if you guys get a chance if you could take a look at the site. If you like what you see you can help add content. It is very simple to add information to the site. Simply search for the topic you are interested in, if no article has been written about it you have the opportunity to create an article, if there is an article you can add or edit information. My hope for the end result is an interactive encyclopedia of magic that will be constantly updated by the magic community, thus giving us all a great resource. Let me know what you guys think!

http://www.themagicencyclopedia.com/
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Wow I think that's a brilliant idea
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
There is no content.

You have to work at providing conetent. It is possible get started by using stuff from Wiki itself and giving the appropriate free documentation licence credit.

Later when people start visiting due to the initial content, they will provide new things, but you will need to work yourself to start it.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5413 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Please tell me that this is not another lame-brained site focused on unwelcome exposure. How do you intend to protect against this?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2006-08-05 15:45, bassmanray03 wrote:
I have been working on a site similar to Wikipedia, yet it is going to be based around magic. ...

Are you a magician?

Can you keep secrets?

Kindly demonstrate that ability by refraining from open/public exposure of magic methods and terminology.

Thanks,

Jonathan Townsend
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mogwai II
View Profile
Veteran user
The Alpes
314 Posts

Profile of Mogwai II
I think its a great Idea. Maybe use a log-in form with 3 Questions about Magic to enter. That would protect the site from layfolks.

Good luck with it!
"You'll wonder when he comes, you'll wonder more when he's gone..."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
My feeling on this is:

Yes to descriptions and reference citations. No to methodology discussions.

It's the computer savvy muggles that raise my concerns here.

Locks only keep out honest people and nostalgic ones at that.

"Information is free and wants to be free" the current generation claims, and so they work to make it free, freely copying it where they well.

Consider well that what you post may well be found far flung and then well known within hours of its posting.

Remember, you are responsible for your actions.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Wikipedia of Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL