The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring & Rope Specifications (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
kvanliewpe
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of kvanliewpe
Members
Curious if 4 or 5" rings are better. The David Elridge ring & rope routine comes with 5" platic ring, which I'm not crazy about. I just started playing.
The 5" diameter seemd to work nicely. Does anyone have experience with both sizes?
Can someone refer me to a source for steel or brass rings?
I was aslo curious what type of rope is best. It appears that Eric DeCamps uses a velvet string? Any comments?
Thanks
Ken
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
My ring, and rope ring is 5 1/2", but a velvet string requires a much smaller ring, probibly 2, 3, or 4 inches will work.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
800 Posts

Profile of meyegr
Rings can be found at most saddle shops
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I use 1/2" or 3/8" rope. My ring is a 2.5" X 1" (large ring of my scissors) I do several different penetrations. Find something you like and make it work. Like Al said: "Have fun"
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
micromega
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of micromega
What about a ring from a close-up linking ring set like 'Chinese Linking Rings?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
A bit too thin for my taste. If you go to ebay and look up macrame rings you will find plastic rings in every size, shape, and color for cheap. Try a square or triangle ah ring.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
kvanliewpe
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of kvanliewpe
I've been searching saddle shops to no avail. You wouldn't happen to know the name of one that may have them in stock? If so, please drop name and town.
Thanks
Ken
Eric DeCamps
View Profile
V.I.P.
95 Posts

Profile of Eric DeCamps
Hi Ken:

Actually I use a shoestring, one that is used for athletic shoes. I try to get one as wide as possible and 54" long. They come in a variety of colors. I prefer red but have used white ones as well.

Hope this helps.

Eric DeCamps
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of tntjr
kvanliewpe
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of kvanliewpe
Eric
What's up!
I wasn't sure if it was a shoestring or a velvet cord. I alway forget to ask you when I see you in person. While I have you, I also noticed that your ring appears to have a square configuration if you know what I mean. Do you have any sources for rings and the recommended size. What size is your ring? I was playing with a 3" steel ring last night and it's a little small.
Have an outstanding day!
Ken
Eric DeCamps
View Profile
V.I.P.
95 Posts

Profile of Eric DeCamps
Ken:

I have not used a flat edged ring in close to 20 years. I have been using a regular round ring. Still can do all the work with it without any problems.

The ring is 4" in diameter. Next time you see me remind me and I'll show you the ring.

Best,

Eric DeCamps
kvanliewpe
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of kvanliewpe
Eric
Thanks for the tip. I've been playing with a 3 1/2 ring and the half inch I beleive will make a difference on some moves that I've been playing with. I look forward to sharing my work.
Thanks again
Ken
Tricky Tom
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Tricky Tom
Ken

Craig has some "rings" for sale on his web site Wizards Craft Magic. Send me a private e mail and I will provide the link. I attempted to add it here, but it would not take....try http://www.wizardcraftmagic.com

Good Luck

Tom
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
209 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
Check out LaRock's Magic in Charlotte, NC (and on the web). They carry a heavy 4" diameter ring that is brass plated. I use this for stand up routines (and I got the size based on seeing Eric Decamp and Monti (from Hawaii).
Lynn Fox
Craig Dickson
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Valley, NY
353 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickson
Someone said it above. What I have are seamless solid brass rings. One is solid brass, the other is chome plated solid brass if you don't wish to polish them.

http://www.wizardcraft.com
Craig Dickson
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Valley, NY
353 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickson
Oh I just measured them, they are a hair over 3 3/4" diameter and weigh 1/4 pound, are solid brass, seamless, polished and just really nice.
barneyfife
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of barneyfife
How about the plastic ring off the toy ring stacker? Or they just too light?
Always in motion is the future
martonikus
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of martonikus
I got some "Indian Bangles" at a shopping mall - cheap, light, easy to carry and really attractive - silver and gold finish with a variety of embossed designs that reflect light like diamonds - excellent with a shoelace - I got two for $5 after "trying" one with a shoelace -
mshanker
View Profile
New user
Frankfort, KY
84 Posts

Profile of mshanker
Actually, for light plastic rings the best place is the Wal-Mart craft section. The needlework rings come in 5" and 7" sizes. I think I bought mine for $3 or so. It's actually a perfect ring nested into another one which has a screw on it. I tossed away the outer ring and use the inner ring. You can also get them at regular craft shops, too: Michaels, Jo-Ann, etc.

Manoj
Manoj
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
The rings I use are 3 3/4 ID and 4" OD. I use one of two materials for the rope; either velvet cord (black, red, or burgundy) or a very soft and cored sash cord with frayed and whipped ends.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring & Rope Specifications (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL