The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Do you charge the same or different for private vs corporate (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
I would like to get an informal survey about pricing. I charge the same for both private & corporate work. I feel that I am worth what I am worth. It is not my concern that corporate gets a tax deduction on my services.

When a corporation buys a car, computer etc. they may pay a lower price to begin with & then have a tax deduction on top of that. They certainly don't pay a higher price than the public.

Some of my peers do charge more to the corporate client. I was wondering how some of you around the country handle this.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hiya,

Corporate and private get the same rate in my books...

jdg
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I charge much, much more for corporate. Around $100-$150 more per hour.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Allan
Let me get the question straight. Do I charge the same for a 50 guest family BBQ as I do for a 500 guests company picnic? Will the big guys think you are good enough for them if all you charge is a few hundred dollars? My question to you is are you joking? I charge about double, or triple for the big guys than I do for a mom and pop at home party. Allen welcome to economics 101.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
Thanks Nicholas & Jamie, That is the feedback I am looking for. Al,let me explain, I only work high end events both corporate & private. My price is already high. I don't do the low end parties. I leave that to others. I never negotiate a price. I am firm. Also, the big corporate event needs me for many more hours than the private event sot the price goes up with the number of hours.

My question is do most of you have one price for corporate & another for private. Keep in mind that I am starting off with higher pricing.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Allan
Thank you for that clarification. My answer to you is YES my prices, and venues are all over the spectrum.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
For me the rule of thumb is that I have two prices: my regular fee and free. It allows me to make the decision and to say "no" when I need to say "no". It also relieves me of a future obligation I may not want. Sometimes, once is enough. Other times, I'm glad I could help.

When there are ticket sales, I like a piece of the action when I have some input into the marketing effort. If I am dealing with promoters that are not pros in this field, I'm safer with a check. I don't like playing to an empty house at any price. I would rather lose those bookings. (Remember that I also used to own a talent personal management and booking company.)

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Bob - I agree with having "my fee and free". I.e. I don't give discounts. However, I do have seperate fees for seperate events based on how hard I will have to work.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
That is an important distinction! Where? When? and most of all: What do you expect of me?

There are even dates that are more expensive than others (examples: July 4th, Labor Day, Valentines, New Year's Eve, etc.)

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
Thanks, guys, I really appreciate the feedback and the reasons behind your making your decisions.

This is more of a philosophical questiona. I have had this discussion with some of my peers. Some charge more for corporate because they feel they can afford it and because the corp. gets a tax writeoff on your fee. Some charge less for private because regular people can't afford as much as a business can & they don't get a tax deduction.

I charge the same as my fee is what I am worth regardless of who hires me.

I am merely trying to find out how my peers across the country feel about this subject.
dbmagic123
View Profile
Regular user
Evansville Indiana
198 Posts

Profile of dbmagic123
I have two difffernt prices,, one for corp,, and one for family etc... the shows are a a lot difernt, and require diifernt things from me,, thus I am comfrontable having a two price system.

Don
itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
I have two price structures based on whether the client is coming directly to me or through an agency. Almost invariably the ones that come directly to me are local and the client is fairly flexible whereas the agency jobs require much more travel time and rigid timings.

Nigel
I knew a man who kept saying "pliers, pincers, scissors". He was speaking in tongs.

www.itshim.co.uk
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I think the point we all agree on is that whether you have one price for all your shows or whether you quote based on the size of the event, date and numbers, you should base your prices on what YOU want to charge. In other words, DON'T LOWER YOUR PRICES ON DEMAND!
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
While I appreciate all the feedback, this thread has gotten so far off the track that I will clarify again.

I don't care how many people there are at the event.
I don't care how far the travel is (of course charge more for longer travel)

My question is- Do you charge the same or more for a corporate job vs a private job. lets say travel, time spent setting up & traveling are all the same. The job starts at the same time in the same place. There are no differences between the two jobs other than who is paying for it.

I would like to know if you all charge the same or differently for private vs corporate work with everything else being equal. It does not matter if the show is last minute or booked way in advance. All things about the shows are equal except who is booking you.

I would also like to know WHY YOU KEEP THE PRICE THE SAME OR DIFFERENT? What is your motivation for charging the same or different prices with all other details being the same.

I appreciate all the past input but would like keep it more on track.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2006-08-21 19:50, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
I think the point we all agree on is that whether you have one price for all your shows or whether you quote based on the size of the event, date and numbers, you should base your prices on what YOU want to charge. In other words, DON'T LOWER YOUR PRICES ON DEMAND!

Nicholas as much as you may hate this next sentence I am going to write it anyway.

You are right on the mark with this sentiment. Don't lower your prices on demand. Every magician should have that TATOOED on his hand. Very good sir!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:

I would also like to know WHY YOU KEEP THE PRICE THE SAME OR DIFFERENT? What is your motivation for charging the same or different prices with all other details being the same.

Sorry...Smile Smile

My price is different because of simple supply and demand. Corporate people can afford more...and so I charge more.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Do you charge the same or different for private vs corporate (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL