The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » I need a few examples of good "sucker tricks" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
You know-

tricks that pretend to teach the spectator how to do a trick, only to zing them with another method, or tricks that look painfully obvious and stupid- until the very end!

My idea is to do a touristy area street performance- holding up a sign written on a torn piece of cardboard that says in magic marker "Free Magic Lesson!" while dressed in a rather shabby manner (maybe dressed as a hobo clown... I dunno...). And then proceeding to do a number of sucker tricks that really amaze them!

Ultimately, the "lesson" is that a magician never really reveals his tricks, and that you get what you pay for! My goal with this is not to "turn a phat hat" or draw a big crowd, but rather to come up with a creative and thematic show that succeeds under some specific guidelines and trying circumstances...

The only problem I'm running into is that these types of effects are few and far and between in the literature, and there are no compilations of them as far as I know of.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gaddy
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4256 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Do the salt trick with a Thumbtip, like a Do as I do trick. Have them pour salt in there hand (in a close fist) and have the TT in the closed fist and pour some salt also. Tell them to trust you , put your closed fist above your head (after putting on the TT) and open your hand and there is no salt, have them do the same...the just got suckered, that's not a type of trick where it looks painfully obvious.

But the arm twisting trick is always good as well.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
A whole show of sucker tricks sounds as if it would be tiresome and ultimately annoying for the audience (please don't take that as a challenge!)

Be much better, especially for a street show, to do just one, and do that really really well.

The classic is Silk to Egg - visual, works with a large crowd, lots of opportunity for comedy.

You might lead into it with a couple of deliberately lame routines - those magnetic scotties or something - and then wow them with the ETS.
nanaman
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of nanaman
Jeff Sheridan has this great thing where he does a thumbtip silk hanky thingy, except he displays the thumbtip painfully obviously to the audience. And he goes through the motions of stealing the tip, shoving the hanky into it, but when he opens his fist, the hanky's still there, and the tips VANISHED. He does it only to fry magicians though.
-Bob.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Cheesewrestler,

thanks for the critique- the more I think about it, the more I think you are right. Also I think that the element of surprise would be lost very quickly and that would further spoil the overall effect.

Thanks to those who responded with good advice, though...

G

PS- Magnetic Scotties? Bwahahahaha!!!!! Haven't thought about those god awful things in YEARS!!!!!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
kraziboi428
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of kraziboi428
Invisible Pass Sucker Trick
Performance:
Sometimes after when I perform the invisible pass I usually flick the deck down really fast so it gives an effect of bringing the card to the top using that quick movement; but really I'm not doing anything.

Sucker Trick:
I tell the people that I get the card up real fast by doing Charlie A cuts with one hand. My spectators always try to do it but they can't.

So hey add this to one of your Sucker Tricks.

that's what I do sometimes. Not all the time.
ryoma4148
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of ryoma4148
You can do a card distribution trick... for example, you place the four aces at the bottom (the ace of Spades should be at the very bottom), and 10 J Q K of spades at the top... you supposely teach a cheater technique as you distribute poker cards for 5 people and when it comes to you you tell "but the cheater will not get the top card, he will instead get an ace at the bottom... of course he'll do it faster than me cause I want to show you how it's done..." and etc...
you'll have 5 * 5 cards on the table, but the cards at bottom of each hand would be 10 J Q K Ace of Spades... you get back the 5 packs and put them at the top of the deck, then you say "now I'm going to show you an even better way of cheating, but I can't explain it to you cause I already showed you how to get the aces..." and you distribute *** fast the 5 hands and you'll get without doing anything a royal quinte flush ^^;
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
The classic torn and restored napkin trick! I can't believe no one's mentioned it yet!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » I need a few examples of good "sucker tricks" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL