The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Paul Curry World's Beyond (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
I find it silly when some delusional chump in his bedroom thinks he can sell Worlds Beyond for $300.

But I find it insulting when a professional dealer treats his customers as chumps by offering the book at a price which was too high for anybody to nibble at even on ebay. I don't expect the dealer to care that I feel insulted, but the dealer may care when he realizes this means I (and perhaps others) will no longer trust him and will be very wary of buying from him in future. Basically, he undermines his own reputation by offering the book at a price only a chump would pay. And I find myself spitefully hoping that will lead to loss of income, so he'll find an incentive to return to offering fair (ie, actual market-level) pricing.

Btw, from my notes: 3 copies of Worlds Beyond sold on eBay in July of this year. The highest went for $183.67. The other two went for just $48 and $75.

Let's not be chumps.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
On 2006-10-04 16:34, duanebarry wrote:
I find it silly when some delusional chump in his bedroom thinks he can sell Worlds Beyond for $300.

But I find it insulting when a professional dealer treats his customers as chumps by offering the book at a price which was too high for anybody to nibble at even on ebay. I don't expect the dealer to care that I feel insulted, but the dealer may care when he realizes this means I (and perhaps others) will no longer trust him and will be very wary of buying from him in future. Basically, he undermines his own reputation by offering the book at a price only a chump would pay. And I find myself spitefully hoping that will lead to loss of income, so he'll find an incentive to return to offering fair (ie, actual market-level) pricing.

Btw, from my notes: 3 copies of Worlds Beyond sold on eBay in July of this year. The highest went for $183.67. The other two went for just $48 and $75.

Let's not be chumps.

I find it sad when crybabies don't have jobs and can't afford magic books, then whine about the price when they really want them.
Who's the chump? I had the book and sold it, your still wishin.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
I have no problem with people charging what they like for their books - good luck to Bradbury Books (and anyone else who had the foresight to buy this great book the first time around). If someone's willing to pay $200-$300 for World's Beyond then that's fine. If you want a book for a crazy price, go for a copy of 'Cards as Weapons'.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
TannerJade
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
307 Posts

Profile of TannerJade
NNOOO!! One on eBay just sold for $102 bucks Smile And only $20 for shipping...

Dang...

Tanner
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
What some of the posters in this topic have not understood is that a book (or any other item for that matter) is worth WHATEVER the seller can get for it. I have seen books sold for twice their worth just because that buyer did not want to hagle over the price. I have also seen sellers who could not move their wares that were priced fairly and under market value because no one wanted to pay for the item.

My entire point is, don't cry about the price of a book. If it is worth the price you see to you, you buy it. If it ain't,you don't. If you want to cry about the price of a magic book, just try going to a rare bookstore and see what sort of prices you can find on magic books that WE do not want and would never buy. I found one book that I had never heard of published in 1908 (I think) that was listed at $400 US in Very Good condition. No idea who the author was either. And most of the effects/routines have surely been reprinted over the years. Is that book worth $400? It is to someone.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
When I was searching for used magic book dealers a few years ago I came across this site. Talk about sticker shock. I wonder if he actually sells anything. http://www.oldmagicbooks.net/

-Brian
sashain
View Profile
New user
Steve Shain
80 Posts

Profile of sashain
Further to the comments on the ebay auction that was pulled. There were bids on that auction. They vanished when the auction was pulled.

The good faith bidders on the public ebay auction had the rug pulled out from under them. The seller did state that as part of the auction he would pull the auction if he got a good offer for the book before the auction ended (i.e, via behind the scenes bidding). This is what appears to have happened. The public auction bidders lost the opportunity to compete. Someone else got the book without having to compete publicly. No one but the buyer and seller know what price was paid.

Not the kind of "auction" that I would want to participate in.

Steve
Steve Shain
Houston, Texas
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
My own original book is on sale on the Magic Café.

So no worry about Ebay rules...
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
> Is that book worth $400? It is to someone.

Er, no.

Being purchased for $400 would make that a true statement. Sitting unsold on the bookstore shelf with a $400 pricetag doesn't make it worth $400.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2006-10-02 20:07, duanebarry wrote:

Turk/Mike, if you don't make a bid, then you have no obligation to the seller, and the seller has no obligation to you. That's why the seller can pull out -- there are no unfulfilled obligations.

From the other direction: if you do make a bid, then an obligation has been created and both sides have to follow through: you deliver money, and the seller delivers the goods. In each case there's symmetry.

Thanks for the post, Duanebarry. But, unless eBay has recently changed its rules, your last statement is not accurate. I have bid a number of times on items where the seller at the last minute did not get a high enough bid or received a "private offer" or whatever. And so, with less than a minute to go, the seller is able to cancel the entire auction and with no repercussions from eBay. When I wrote to eBay complaining of the practice of allowing sellers to cancel an auction after the bidding had started, eBay, in effect, told me "Tough ****". that's their policy". I guess that eBay feels that they need sellers more than they need bidders.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
On 2006-10-09 16:08, duanebarry wrote:
> Is that book worth $400? It is to someone.

Er, no.

Being purchased for $400 would make that a true statement. Sitting unsold on the bookstore shelf with a $400 pricetag doesn't make it worth $400.

Worth? Here we go again. Worth and value are subjective. The true value in monetary terms is the cost of the paper. The value can only be determined by the purchaser of the book.

You really want this book don't you?
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2006-10-09 01:24, ekins wrote:
When I was searching for used magic book dealers a few years ago I came across this site. Talk about sticker shock. I wonder if he actually sells anything. http://www.oldmagicbooks.net/

-Brian

Brian,
I see what you mean. The only consolation is if I am able to sell my books at his prices I am a millionaire..Unbelieveable pricing..
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
Xiqual, your taunts are petty and misdirected (and earlier, misspelled).

Nowhere in this thread have I expressed an unmet desire to own the book. I have expressed scorn at the delusional greed of people who think they can find chumps to buy it for fantasy prices, and dismay at the loss of trust in a well-known dealer.

As for value, there's material value (cost of paper and ink), use value (the value of money that can be earned by performing effects from this book), and fetish value (the amount a collector or hobbyist will pay for the book). There's no point in talking about the simple material value of this book, because its market price is determined by the fetish value.

My point has been that even the fetish value is not nearly so high as some people living in fantasyland think it is, as the book repeatedly fails to sell when priced stratospherically, AND that the fetish value is established by actual sales to buyers, not offerings where no buyer can be found.
WayneNZ
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1013 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Anybody recall what trick in here is the one
that uses business cards?
There may be more than one , but theres one
that Everybody talks about...
Richard Paddon
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Richard Paddon
Hi Wayne.

Are you thinking of Probability Zero?

Cheers,
Richard
MANOS FRIAS
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
126 Posts

Profile of MANOS FRIAS
I wonder why I want to get this book. I own "Magician,s Magic", it contains the original version of Out of this world, besides a few Paul Curry´s tricks with cards, ropes, mentalism,... Their more importants effects, such as Touch, Open prediction or Power of Thought, have been very versioned, and the versions are available easyly. The most famous Curry,s move, Turn-Over Change, is explained in Close Up Card Magic by Harry Lorayne.... So, I wonder why I want to get this book. I,m losing something really unknowned?
MANOS FRIAS
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
126 Posts

Profile of MANOS FRIAS
Ah, and in Art of Astonishment (by other Paul), its other Curry´s effect with bussiness cards cutted in halfes.
WayneNZ
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1013 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Thanks Richard,

I will go check it out.
MANOS FRIAS
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
126 Posts

Profile of MANOS FRIAS
And Curry´s Color Changing Deck is performed by M. Ammar in Easy To Master Card Miracles series.
Count Elmsley
View Profile
New user
Lincoln UK
66 Posts

Profile of Count Elmsley
I have a copy of 'World's Beyond' for sale.

The book and cover is in absolutely mint condition - just like it came from the printers.

Will sell to best bid over 100 pounds.

I am in the UK - you may inspect before purchase or collect if you are near.
Otherwise postage charged at cost, packing in cardboard & bubblewrap free.
Alan
Mister Wizzy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Paul Curry World's Beyond (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL