The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » What are your "Thoughts So Far?" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

solidglint
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of solidglint
Are there any satisfied owners of this book by Kennedy?
solidglint
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of solidglint
This must be the worst response for a review ever!
mike stevenson
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mike stevenson
Maybe because it's been discussed before
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1513 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Possibly because many of us had never heard of it!!!
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Curmudgeon
View Profile
Loyal user
Iowa
245 Posts

Profile of Curmudgeon
solidglint
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of solidglint
Thank you.
Mariagi
View Profile
Special user
MIND, MYTH & MAGICK
654 Posts

Profile of Mariagi
I got "Thoughts So Far" and while at first glance is a good book it's not fair. It should be called "Thoughts So Unfair" if you get the hint.

Most of the routines are a carbon copy of other people's work but with different items. I don't think one card instead of a business card,a chip rather than a coin can justify the effects paternity to Kennedy.

"Sympathy" This should be the fabulous Kennedy's ACAN but it's in reality BARRIE RICHARDSON's effect. And adding credits to RICHARDSON at the end of "Sympathy" is just a bad taste joke. I wonder if RICHARDSON has let the thing sleep out and did not care enough (because he comes up with so much stuff that he call HIS OWN) or if he does not know yet. "Open Transmission" I did my search here and I saw people like Andrew Richmond and other knowlegeable minds that attribute a version of this same effect to MORLEY BUDDEN. That's ok because it seems that Kennedy has added some strong psychological subtleties to the basic plot. Then with some other research (just use the search button more guys and gals) it comes up that the what I cosider the devious part of the introductory patter setting up the dual reality is something created by PAOLO CAVALLI and (apparently) Kennedy got the permission to use this. When one reads the credits for this effect, one find PAOLO CAVALLI,BANACHEK,LUKE JERMAY. One must sincerely wonder how "Open Transmission" can be attributed to MORLEY BUDDEN and how Kennedy without feeling the least ashamed can claim this effect his own when all the other psychological touches were given to him by CAVALLI,BANACHEK,JERMAY? Let's get serious here:it is really hard to call an effect like that,your own.

But there is more.Routines just lifted up from creative people like ANDY NYMAN,ideas from DERREN BROWN. This book is really something that should not be recomended. I urge you to avoid this book. I repeat,this book should have been titled "Thoughts So Unfair".
Hogle
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
133 Posts

Profile of Hogle
That doesn't sound good...
solidglint
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of solidglint
Andrew Richmond brings these points up in a previous thread, unfortunately ordered this already. I will be more careful next time. Seems like $70 is a high price For others material. I like the idea of supporting new talent, it is unfortunate that Kennedy's integrity seems to be questionable.

Regards Jonathan
juan king
View Profile
Regular user
Spanish
171 Posts

Profile of juan king
I agree he has some things to be learning about crediting and things but he is bringing together some top class effects for the magic fraternity and should be thanking him for that. He is saving everyone the time of searching for the best material.

If you want to see his best routines you should download Kennedy's Killers from http://www.alakazam.com right now. There is a trick using starburst sweets that is one of the cleverest pieces of thinking I have ever been seeing in my life.
Think not what magic can do for you, but what you can do for magic.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Thoughts So Far has some great routines in it.
But they are not original to Kennedy. The price is absolutely ridiculous for a book written by a relative novice-it's more expensive than Theatre of The Mind, Peek Performances, Paramiracles, Mind Myth and Magic! In fact, it's more expensive than almost all the classic texts apart from Berglas's (it would still be a cheeky price if the effects were original-add in the twist that barely any are, and we are venturing toward rip-off territory). I gave a fuller review of the contents on the Kennedy's Killers thread, but at that time I didn't realise Open Transmission was another steal, so my opinion, which was divided, has now definitely moved firmly towards the negative.
I note that Kennedy's $200 book test has been withdrawn, so maybe some lessons have been learned.
And who knows, 20 years down the line, once he has really tested the material and found his own original methods, Kennedy may return with a book which is worth £40.
Enigmo
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Enigmo
Juan King writes:

"I agree he has some things to be learning about crediting and things but he is bringing together some top class effects for the magic fraternity and should be thanking him for that. He is saving everyone the time of searching for the best material."

Then maybe it should be called "My best compilations so far" or something to that effect. It's just that the book is written in such a way to make it seem that he came up with the effects. I could conceive someone would come up with the effects on his own but then he credits every author of the effects thus clearly showing that he knows the sources of these effects... Thus, he can't even claim ignorance...

J-L
solidglint
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of solidglint
I am thinking it is funny that you are thinking you are not in some way biased in your opinions on this book. This is funny!
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
To believe is Magic.
solidglint
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of solidglint
Over priced, soft cover "the cover warps, curls up when left on table." Mostly other peoples ideas re-packaged. Did I mention it was over pricedW when spending $70 one expects Hermetic Press quality. It amazes me that this book was praised so highly by Mr Osterlind.

Let me state that I am not a pro, as a hobbyist have performed a fair amount of mentalism in an informal setting. I am well read and understand the difference between magic and mentalism. I feel that Kennedy has produced a mediocre book both in content and quality. A fair asking price for this book would be $30.

To Kennedy's credit, his invisible deck routine is nice. If it is his idea.

Jonathan
Traveler
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Traveler
I agree about the book. I had no idea there were ideas lifted from Derren... What routine do you mean specifically ?
solidglint
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of solidglint
The routine is, The Ultimate Connection on page 25. I like this presentation.
Actualy I think his ideas on presentation are good, just not worth $70.
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
In certain extent, I enjoy some material in the book. Some of them are carefully constructed. But honestly, I wonder whether Kennedy has really read those books or material which he has credited to. In some cases, he mentioned that he cannot remember where he read it or don't know the name of the ideas or sleights. Definitely, imop, there is little research done on the book and I wonder if each routine is written as draft and then they are combined into a book.

But I have to admit that I am such a fool to assume the book is by John Kennedy...that's why I go for the book with USD70...if I know it's a guy who I don't even heard of, I will save this to another books (yea, I mean bookS).

I think one problem in mentalism now is that people think that they know much about mentalism...When it is in bloom, we saw hundreds of mentalism books and products on market. Of coz, we have some very good material, but at the same too many people publish books/routines that are not carefully constructed. So these two years we have many new mental tricks, but not mentalism effects.

Alex Hui
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » What are your "Thoughts So Far?" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL