The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Looking for tricks that can be done walk around surrounded (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
Anyone have any ideas?
Sneakers
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne, Australia
106 Posts

Profile of Sneakers
Hello Limhanchung,

You've posted this query in the "New To Magic" section of the Café. Since you've posted here, are we to assume that you have little or no experience?

Don't take the question the wrong way, it's not a challenge, it's just that you'll get a wide variety of answers and it will help all of us if you provide a little background on your abilities and interests in magic...
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
I have six month of magic experience.
I currently have
RRTCM
Expert Card Technique
Modern Coin Magic
I'm looking for magic tricks that are visual that can be done surrounded and end up clean.
DeadRinger
View Profile
New user
long island
55 Posts

Profile of DeadRinger
Again, scotch and soda is a "trick" that ends clean, but I find the best tricks that can be done to be coin sleights.
*POOF*
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
When I say tricks, I mean effects.
Sorry not making it clear.
eps
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of eps
I think one of the best tricks done surrounded is the hot rod, done anywhere.
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Hot rod sometimes has angle problem and it cannot be done surrounded. If you have little experience, go for some more books and videos before you decide. I cannot recommend anything to you because your style may be the same as me, as well as the preference. Sorry.

Alex
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
You might want to try something with ropes; perhaps a "Professor's Nightmare." There are lots of things that can be done with a(some) handkerchief(s) and a TT that are a lot of fun.

I like the cups and balls, but not surrounded. But I once saw Jim Cellini do a great surrounded version.
Magic is fun!!!
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
Check out Gregory Wilson's On The Spot. It is chock full of walk around routines and many of them (I think just about all of them) can be done surrounded.
Twototango
View Profile
New user
San Antonio
7 Posts

Profile of Twototango
I enjoy doing a torn and restored card effect . Smile
Florian Rago
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincolnshire
202 Posts

Profile of Florian Rago
Perfect pen thru anything

Florian R
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I recommend a ring and rope routine:
Gregory Wilson's Ring Leader Video or Bob Miller's Relentless String Video. A great ring and rope is on the Video by Eric DeCamps. The first two use a finer ring and cord and the last video a 3-4 inch ring and rope.

Smile
prophet2002
View Profile
New user
calgary, canada
17 Posts

Profile of prophet2002
Raven's good.
lawrenceng
View Profile
New user
Calgary
84 Posts

Profile of lawrenceng
Hello LimHanchung,
Been quite awhile, eh? Maybe we should catch up soon. I agree w/ r4bid's suggestion on Greg Wilson's On the spot stuff, his "recap" 5 phase routine is great-all done w/ a normal pen. You ok w/ obtaining videos back home?
thanks y'all
lawrenceng
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
There are a lot you can find in a magic shop. When you go there mention you want the ones you don't have to reset. Because when you walk around, you should always be ready.
Hernan
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco
126 Posts

Profile of Hernan
I recommend Scotch and Soda. It is a miracle effect that happens in the audience's hands.

Peter Marucci P.M.ed a wonderful 'clean' Scotch and Soda routine.

It requires one of the linchpin moves of magic and really leaves you clean to do the trick over and over.

Just do a search for Peter Marucci

My second recommendation would be two or three card monte. Unlike Scotch and Soda, you will not be doing the trick before a little (a lifetime of?) practice.
Magic Chris
View Profile
Regular user
Switzerland
104 Posts

Profile of Magic Chris
Do some rubberband effects !
Crazy Man's Handcuffs (the linking rubberbands) is a great effect and it's one of those rare effects which has really NO RESTRICTIONS:

1) No lighting problems
2) No gimmicks, no setup, no reset
3) Do it super close
4) Do it surrounded, no angle problems
5) Repeat it several times
6) Involve the spectators, give them some rubberbands, let them try it
7) And what's really great about it, you do not need a table or anything (as card tricks do). Perform it standing in an elevator or at a house party. The music is too loud? No problem. You do not have to say any word. It is such a visual effect.

Use "Stargazer" for a great climax ending, where one of the rubberband PERMANENTLY stays in the shape of a star!
Here's a clip:
http://www.jbtv.co.uk/videos/stargazer_hires.avi

Don't do just tricks or effects, entertain them, involve them, tell them stories, give them a souvenir at the end.

Hope this helps

Magic Chris Smile
stevehw
View Profile
Veteran user
Collinsville, Mississippi
303 Posts

Profile of stevehw
There are some very good versions of Coins Across and Copper and Silver Transposition that can go over very well in strolling type venues. Some with gimmicks and some without.
Also, there are other classics that have versions that are adaptable for these environments. Ambitious Card, Multiple and Single Location routines, Doc Daley's Last Trick, many packet effects, paddle effects, etc., etc., etc.
Anyway, these are some of the choices I have made.

Merry Christmas.

Steve Smile
deuces
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Ontario
63 Posts

Profile of deuces
Quote:
Use "Stargazer" for a great climax ending, where one of the rubberband PERMANENTLY stays in the shape of a star!
Here's a clip:
http://www.jbtv.co.uk/videos/stargazer_hires.avi

Just saw that video now.... looks interesting. Can I show the star shaped rubber band before hand as normal shaped?
"Hockey eh?"
Magic Chris
View Profile
Regular user
Switzerland
104 Posts

Profile of Magic Chris
No you can't...but that's not a problem.
Let's first begin with the linking rubberbands routine (as you can see in the videoclip)

CRAZY MAN'S HANDCUFF:
I highly recommend you to first learn the Crazy Man's Handcuff (Copperfield has performed the linking rubberbands in one of his tv-special). Put some effort to learn this incredible effect and you will be able to perform a true miracle all the time.
The linking rubberbands are a great icebreaker to get in contact with your spectator for starting your magic performance. You don't have to introduce yourself as a magician, simply start your act by playing around with some rubberbands ... suddenly they are unlinked.. you can be sure that at this moment you will have spectators' full attention.

Where can you get this routine?

1) I've learned it directly from Michael Ammar's script: "Crazy Man's Handcuffs"
($8.50 by Hanklee for example)

Here

2) or you can buy Michael Ammar's Video:
"Classic Renditions 2" where you also find
- TRAVELING CASH (A spectator wraps a folded dollar bill around the top strand, and holds on. Then, one by one, the money jumps from the top down, one strand at a time)
- and THE BROKEN & RESTORED RUBBER BAND
(great effect !)
http://store.yahoo.com/ammarmagic/rubbanmagpro.html

3)Dan Harlan's "Magic With Rubber Bands" - The Video Series Vol 1 - 3. There are full of rubberband magic. I think it's on the first one, but ask a magic dealer first.

By the way...I met Dan Harlan at a seminar. He sold large packs of rubberbands
(great quality, very thin, very elastic).

STARGAZER
Now for Stargazer. Show CMH with your normal beige color rubberbands. Give them to the spectators for trying themself. Show it one more time, using different color rubberbands now, giving spectators a better chance to follow your acts. After showing CMH go directly into Stargazer. You do this in a continuous action. They see this colored rubberband is "normal" shaped during the whole act (you show them different shapes like a 5-Star, a Triangle, a 5-Star inside a 5-Star...). At the end when they see that one of these rubberbands (no switch!)PERMANENTLY stays in the shape of a star...they will be totally baffled. It's such a great climax.

Magic Chris

Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Looking for tricks that can be done walk around surrounded (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL