The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Questions on Direct Mail (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I have done direct mailers in the past to prospective corporate clients and have gotten zero results. To give you a little more detail, I have followed the advice of other magicians who swear by mailers and have even called magicians who publish lecture notes and books on the subject to verify what I doing is correct, but still with no positive results.

What has been your experience with direct mailers, positive and negative?
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1297 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Direct mail has to be done on a regular basis. You very rarely see results from one mailing. Some times it takes 3 or 4 mailings to the same prospects. The response might be around 1% at best. And even a smaller percentage of the responses turn into a gig. You should also make phone calls to the prospects as well.

I find post cards work well. Make up a piece that has bullet points and photos.

Think about it, all the name brands and stores we know, constantly advertise. Repetition is the key.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
General return on a direct mail piece is around .5%. That's for the typical consumer market. For something as specialized as magic, it can be much less or much more than .5%. The main determinant of the success of a direct marketing campaign is the depth of your niche or how specialized the market is. In other words, if I have a general kids show and my mailing list includes churches, youth groups, schools, libraries, private residences and summer camps, then my message has to be pretty broad. As a result, the return % will be much lower. On the other hand if I've got a kids show called "The Magical Summer Camp" and I market it to summer camps, I'll receive a much higher return rate. Deepen your niche!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7407 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Darkwing -

I discuss a little bit about my success with direct mail on this thread, further down page one:

Cafe thread titled... How did you fund y......egining?

- Donald

P.S. Can't say that I've gone after too many corporate clients with my mailings, though. I aim more at other markets.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Kenn Capman
View Profile
Regular user
Southwestern Michigan
196 Posts

Profile of Kenn Capman
Quote:
On 2006-08-09 09:12, MichaelKent wrote:
. . . The main determinant of the success of a direct marketing campaign is the depth of your niche or how specialized the market is. In other words, if I have a general kids show and my mailing list includes churches, youth groups, schools, libraries, private residences and summer camps, then my message has to be pretty broad. As a result, the return % will be much lower. On the other hand if I've got a kids show called "The Magical Summer Camp" and I market it to summer camps, I'll receive a much higher return rate. Deepen your niche!

I couldn't agree with you more.

The deeper your niche, the greater your return on direct mail.

When I was full time I did 4-6 different mailings every quarter; each one targeted to prospects in a specific niche. I typically got around 2.5% return on each mailing for each niche service offered.
"The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents."
- Salvador Dali -
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Timing is important as well.... Schools at the beginning of the year... Summer camps/day cares a month or so before the season starts.... ETC ETC….

I focus on corporations, we send postcards in the beginning of Oct... For myself it is perfect timing, reasoning being is that it hits the businesses for Halloween parties but most importantly it hits right before the winter Holiday parties.... Then follow up in the mid of Nov.....

Send your marketing materials to companies and organizations that you know that use entertainment. This helps a lot....

I have struck gold on little post cards... Sometimes it can be hit or miss....
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I've sent out a mail to 150 schools for a show and had a 3% success rate within a week.

How long before I send out a follow up second mail out to the other 140 schools?
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I do a 2 step follow up system after the mailings have gone out. the first follow up is 5 business days after the promo kit or mailing was sent. the second one is sent 2 weeks after that. Hope this helps. I can go into more detail as to why I do it this way if you would like. My pleasure.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have never done direct mail even though others swear by it. I despise such a low return rate. That is personal taste only, if it works for you then go whole hog at it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7407 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2006-09-04 23:11, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
I've sent out a mail to 150 schools for a show and had a 3% success rate within a week.

How long before I send out a follow up second mail out to the other 140 schools?

Nicholas -

The conventional teaching on a two or three-step mailing system is to send the letters between 10 and 14 days apart. If you wait any longer, they might forget your first letter. If you do it with less of a break, then you might be perceived as pushy. The second mailing is meant to jog their memory, and you can refer back to your previous mailing / contact.

- Donald
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean

Just so's ya' know, it's NOT the response rate that is anywhere near as important as the "ROI"... heck, if the mailing cost me $200.00 (to sent out 200 envelopes, give er' take, in THIS example.) and you ONLY got ONE paid gig out of it, (Depending on what you charge... $300... or up! [in THIS example] Which is light anyway! - "BUT", more in a minute!) who gives a rat's patoot if your "Response Rate" was only 1/2%! (YES, in this example, LESS than 1%!)

I'd spend $200 any day of the week to get almost anything more than the “$200” invested, (Let alone my normal fee, which is way more…) along with a business relationship for the "Lifetime Value" of 'even that ONE' business relationship!

Let's say you charge, in THIS example, only $300.00, OK? So, in THIS example, You got only ONE paid engagement and business relationship for a lousy $300.00... you've PAID for the mailing, you have marketed to the entire list of 200 (whether they use you “RIGHT-NOW” or not...) and you made $100.00 to boot, and THAT is JUST on the FIRST GIG! (With THIS one relationship!)

If you do a reputable job and you and your show are re-bookable, then let's say you ONLY do one gig a year for them (Again… LIGHT!) at ONLY get paid again the lousy $300.00 we are working with, NOW you've made $400 off of the initial $200.00 investment... (Hmmmm… 100% ROI so far!) and on it goes for years, AND, if you are smart, you have a killer referral and testimonial system so you will get even MORE new business relationships and real-paid gigs off of that ONE who responded (Still based on the original 1/2% “Response Rate”.) but “NOW” you are making some considerable MONEY...

THAT is ROI! (Return On Investment!) and has little barring on the “response rate” to be truly successful. So “what-if” the response rate was in fact the “so-called” lousy 3%... NOW we are talking about some serious success and money, eh’?!

This is realistic and doable... so to be honest, the "Response Rate" is of little consequence if you understand ROI!

Try getting THAT in the stock market or ANY other capitol investment program or offer! It won't happen!

All of a sudden, things really aren’t all that bleak!

Keep in mind, I used the absolute minimum returns in THIS ‘lousy’, low-ball example. I have personally NEVER seen the ROI that cruddy for many reasons... one is that, again depending on what you do and how good you are, and what other success systems you have in place to capitalize on these principle of success, you will make well more than that!

Be sure you place you attention and value in the correct place to truly evaluate the TRUE SUCCESS of your marketing ROI.

Hope that helps add to the mix of things to consider!

I am at your service and In HIS Service,
Deano (Think & Grow Rich) in Reno
<><

PS
FYI: I will also tell you that "IF" you are only getting a low 3% "response rate" anyway, you really need to look at your direct response system... it is VERY DOABLE to get "response rates" of well over as LOW as 10% to well over 80% (Proven time and time again...) "IF" you truly understand "Effective" direct response marketing!

It's NOT the "response rate" I would be looking at, it's how effective is your program for getting response in the first place??

Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1521 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I'll add to what the Dean says and give a real life example. I just sent out 500 direct mailings for a specific type of show to a specific market. After envelopes, stamps, and printing the brochures, the cost was right at $500. I have now booked, through these brochures and following up with after I sent the brochures, 7 shows and am making a total of $3000. There are other shows that I will be booking from these brochures in the next few weeks as well. The ones mentioned are confirmed and waiting to be performed. And you'd better believe that I will be spending the same amount very soon to send out more!

So that's,so far, a ROI of $2500. Direct mailing works, and it gives you so many contacts and things like that. Remember, that is only one piece of the puzzle to good marketing.

Have a good day,
Chad
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7407 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
One of my mailing ROI success stories involves a thinking of you card, and a product that Dean Hankey sells, called "Invisible Magic Dust".

Over $2500 worth of shows (immediately) from a $200 mailing. And this was when IMD was in it's rough form!

- Donald
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
You guys are sooooooo right that direct MAIL is only "ONE" small piece of the effective markeing and success pie! You are both RIGHT... It WORKS if you understand the REAL value of returns.

Thanks!

I am at your service and In HIS Service,
Deano
<><

PS
If you want to see what Donald did, and is referring to, feel free to check-out http://www.InvisibleMagicDust.com His success case sttudy is there...
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1521 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Well,
Add two more shows to the post above from the direct marketing technique. These two shows were straight from folks who were holding my brochure and said it impressed them and they wanted to book a show-actually 2 shows.

So, that means the total so far ROI is $3300! WHoo-hooo! They will also all be receiving a post card in the mail this month as a follow-up to the brochure.

Consistent hard work will pay off big time!
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Congratulations... that is ROI in action!

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Now wait a second guys lets get terms straight.

Direct mail as it was used in the first post is a simple mailing to NON QUALIFIED prospects. A shotgun approach. A 3% response to such a mailing is high. NOBODY gets 80% no matter what they write in the piece.

Now as for a "target market mailing" which is being described, spacific show, spacific people, well the return rates can be much better. Seems obvious where you should spend your money.

Dean is correct when he states that ROI, (return on investment for those wondering) is all that matters. I don't care if you spend $10,000 to do it, if you earn, $50,000 it is worth it. If that represents 1 show, then great.

I do have to disagree slightly with the last sentence Chad. Constant SMART work will pay off. Work smarter not harder buddy. The targetet mailing is smarter.

Lets keep terms at least the same universally. Direct Marketing you get every day and it is called "junk mail". Response rate is LOW historically unless my marketing teacher lied to me and everyone.

A targeted mailing, qualified customer mailing, which you guys describe, is far higher return. Direct is to anoyne who has a mailbox. You guys target your prey. Just trying to avoid confussion is all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1521 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Hi Danny,
That is true, good point. I am mailing with a target market in mind, which does make a big difference. And good point also about the "smart" work compared to just plain work. I'll agree to that alright. Now that I consider it, I don't ever, nor have I ever, just mailed stuff out at random to folks who have a mailbox.

Last but not least...I like the whole, "targeting prey" thing. Heehehee.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Iam referring to "target market mailing" in my post above.

It was $5000 of school shows
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1521 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Ok, then we ARE on the same page. I am sending my second piece out (a postcard) approximately a month later. As I am still booking from the first mailing, this will hopefully fall into the right hands at those places where the first one may have gotten thrown to the wayside. I also spend a lot of time looking up the specific name of a person to address it to-someone who will book me or put it into the hands of the person who will. This is a headache sometimes, but it does pay off.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Questions on Direct Mail (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL