The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Striking vanish in coin to bottle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Anyone used the striking vanish as a visual penitration?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27017 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If you came to this insight yourself, that's good thinking.

Folks from the guy who invented it to Michael Weber have explored the basics.

It made the rounds and hit print some time ago and video about five years later.

You're in good company. Enjoy.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Thanks jonathan,im happy to hear at least I'm thinking on the same level as Mr.Weber.
lylaster
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
197 Posts

Profile of lylaster
Been done, elusionst sells it as "infusion" with no credit to Williamson whatsoever
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
I've used it for my Coin in Bottle for a few years now. I've also seen a few guys around that have come up with the idea ever since Passing Through came out. Also, why has no one complained about Infusion? If they have, I missed it completely. When I first saw it, I assumed that Dave Williamson would have been doing it for years.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1130 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
If I'm not mistaken, I think this idea is brought up in the description of the Striking Vanish in the book, Williamson's Wonders, so it's been around awhile.

I used to use this all the time in walk-around. Very strong. Even had return customers request this effect specifically. My biggest problem with it is that the "strike" drives the f**ding coin with high impact into the bottom of the bottle. The edges of the f**ding coin are very gentle and the driving force would bend them inward and deform the edges all around after 4 or 5 tables. I could bend them back later with a small screwdriver or sharp edge, but eventually I would be forced to buy a new coin every couple weeks. Very annoying, since the effect is so strong.
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
I mean you have a folding coin and you do the striking as the penetration.
landon
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
158 Posts

Profile of landon
I believe John Carney uses the striking vanish in his coin in bottle routine in Carneycopia.

Landon
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Ooo well at least I know I'm thinking.thanks for giving me more information on this.
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1130 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Not to be picky, but Carney actually uses a bottle "spin" to imply the coin is propelled into the bottle on that action. It is effective and deceptive.
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
541 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
The Infusion or "striking" coin penetration through drinking glass is great, but I think he was talking about coin through beer bottle with a f****** coin, which is also a great effect. I also use the move for a finger ring effect from Garrett's Ring Thing. My only issue with the striking vanish move is that I found that I had to obsessively practice it for quite a while before I could 100% rely on it in actual performance. I guess that's true of a lot of good effects though, but I had a particularly difficult time getting my consistency up with this move. Because of its diverse applications though it is definitely a sleight worth mastering.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
541 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
Quote:
On 2006-08-10 12:52, doug brewer wrote:

I used to use this all the time in walk-around. Very strong. Even had return customers request this effect specifically. My biggest problem with it is that the "strike" drives the f**ding coin with high impact into the bottom of the bottle. The edges of the f**ding coin are very gentle and the driving force would bend them inward and deform the edges all around after 4 or 5 tables. I could bend them back later with a small screwdriver or sharp edge, but eventually I would be forced to buy a new coin every couple weeks. Very annoying, since the effect is so strong.

Up until very recently I used to have the same problem sometimes. After viewing a performance of Cyril performing this effect I started using his more gentle approach and eliminated the problem. Here's a link to his performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73pL6zaKh......takayama
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Guys, another solution to the problem is to use a plastic bottle for this. I tried it one night at a party where they were serving water in plastic bottles. (Hey, we're pretty informal here in Hawaii.) I learned two things:

One, the effect is still strong. The coin makes a lot of noise inside the bottle, and people seemed to be very impressed, despite the fact that the bottle is plastic. They wanted to examine the bottle more closely than with a glass bottle.

Two, a lot of water bottles don't have the gently sloping neck that lets you get the coin out without a lot of shaking and luck. Check before doing this. Dasani bottles are nice.

Regarding John Carney's use of the striking vanish in this effect, it is given as an alternative handling in Michael Ammar's original write up of Carney's Coin in the Bottle in Encore 2.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1130 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
I have a case of Dasani in the garage. Time to look at the bottles a little closer . . .
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
Hey Doug,

You did not happen to "accidently" spit in her face a little did you? This gets a great reaction. Then you can do matrix with the spittle drops on her face.

So bonus!

C

"I LIKE MAGIC!"
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1130 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Corey: Great to see you around here. No - no spitting. I was annoyed (inside, where it counts), however, and hesitated doing the trick she actually requested (always strong, of course) or going into the bottle trick. I opted for her request . . .
AndyGTheGreat
View Profile
New user
Orange County
14 Posts

Profile of AndyGTheGreat
I used the strike vanish for my coin throguh bottle.
I love it so much. It just very visual and your hand that your vanishing it from ends so clean!!!
Pachin
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Pachin
Hey Doug if I recall time ago you posted in another thread that you were already working on a new DVD with new routines with the 3CM/Triple T.

Is my memory correct ? If yes what is the status on this.

Please let me know

Thanks
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1130 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Hi Pachin. Thanks for remembering (honestly). Unfortunately, there was a major audio glitch after an entire day of filming. We had to trash all of it. We are rescheduled to shoot the entire thing over probably within 2 weeks. As a result, I'm adding an extra Triple Threat routine (and possibly a third) on hindsight of what we did that day. It should be a fun video for everyone. I have a lot of variety using gaffs, no gaffs, and plots. I'll give an official announcement when it's done.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2216 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On 2006-08-11 17:19, doug brewer wrote:
I have a case of Dasani in the garage. Time to look at the bottles a little closer . . .

Check out the FIJI water bottle 500mL....easy in and quick out, plus a nice flat edge to display the coin against, once inside.
Pay it forward
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Striking vanish in coin to bottle (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL