The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Some Thoughts on Headline Predictions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Hi Mindreaders,
As you possibly know, I am a friend of "headline predictions". The last one I did in Namibia/Africa to promote my show. I "hit" the frontpages of the most prominent newspaper TWICE and got more coverage in the weekend section of the same paper. Such a prediction is nothing for a "newcomer" in mentalism. Only an experienced mentalist can put such a stunt over. I tell you WHY:

The newspapermen and ladies of today are very critical and try to "catch" the performer to "tear him to pieces". They want to show, how clever they are! In the afore mentioned prediction I was on the day, as it was opened surrounded by 40 (!) closely watching intelligent people. If you do the slightest mistake, you can imagine what happens. If you do not have experience, forget it!

That a "catastrophic headline" turns up is very seldom and if it happens, you have to act accordingly.

One time I wrote a prediction which read as follows:

"The headline will describe something, which has with 3 people to do. I see wood and animals nearby the persons!"

The headline on that day was:

"THREE PEOPLE MURDERED IN A FOREST!"

So my prediction was 100 % correct, but I did not have to say a thing about the tragedy!

Read this articles on my website and you find out, that I played the part of a very nervous man before the predictions were opened. Believe it or not, it was all misdirection and acting. This was the "red herring" they should catch and they did. ALL OF THEM! Even my friend and assistant Harry Riegel told me afterwards, that he had completely overlooked the "secret little something", what made this prediction work.

Again: Stay away from headline predictions, if you have no experience!

Any questions? Feel free to ask!

TED LESLEY

Smile
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Quote:
On 2002-09-26 04:33, Priest wrote:
Ok, so where is a good place to get started, or find more info on "Headline Predictions?"

P.

Priest,
Two of my favorite headline predictions are:
The $1000 headlkine prediction" found in "Can you keep a secret?" and "Banner", both available from AB StageCraft.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/abstagecraft
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Hello Friends:
Above, Paul Alberstat mentioned two different
Hedline Prediction Methods. I reccomend them highly. If you want to pull such a stunt off, make yourself familiar with the "$ 1000 headline prediction" and "Banner" and you have the mechanics and the details, which are hard to beat. If you want to order them here is the link:

Smile Smile Smile
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Thanks for the kind comments Ted. Much appreiated coming from a master such as yourself.
As always I remain,
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
The Bernstein book mentioned earlier is "Psi-Kicks", page 22, Coded Prediction (it's based on an Al Koran idea).
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
vratkins
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans USA
151 Posts

Profile of vratkins
My choice for the best newspaper prediction is the combination of "Before the Presses Roll" and "Tomorrow's Newspaper" from _Between_two_minds_ by Ned Retledge & J.G. Thompson Jr. (the original, not the new one). The latter item is, IMHO, a terrific approach to the prediction that's big, visiual, and will keep you out of trouble. I think it's similar to the Lee Earle idea Andy alluded to. (Lee's version appeared as "Greeked" in an issue of Syzygy) It really makes the headline prediction so much more believable and mysterious.
As noted elsewhere on this forum, the actual method, "before the presses roll" is only suited to the stage.
The "predicting disaster" problem isn't just theoretical. About 20 years ago a New Orleans mentalist I know made a headline prediction. The night before the show a fully loaded airliner crashed in a suburb of New Orleans, killing everyone on board and many on the ground. It was one of the worst airline distasters in US history. He couldn't get around it; he went ahead with the prediction. Caught flack for not warning people, got national publicity, got on the Dick Clark variety show. Dick decided to make an example of him and forced him to predict the next week's headlines on the air. With no time to prepare, the prediction bombs, mentalist is made a fool on national TV. All this after our mentalist had explained earlier to Mr. Clark that he was just an entertainer, not a psychic!
Regards,
Victor

P.S. Our mentalist recovered nicely; he's a highly successful corporate entertainer and a respected member of the P.E.A.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Here is what I would do if I was doing a headline predicition and something bad happened. Embrace it!
Why not! Why else would you be predicting that headline? Because it was a traumatic event that you 'sensed'. As to why you didn't warn anyone? Who says I didn't! I would swear I tried to contact the proper authorities and no one would listen. I bet they would even say they have no record of it.
Twist it in your favor. The answer is so simple noone thinks of it.

Chad
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Is using a tragedy to promote yourself as an entertainer a good thing?
- entity
ELima
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
164 Posts

Profile of ELima
Larry Becker in Stunners has a very funny one in "The Howard Hughes Headline Prediction" using a supermarket tabloid. No risky tragedies there I would think.

Endre
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On 2007-12-07 10:02, Chad Sanborn wrote:
Here is what I would do if I was doing a headline predicition and something bad happened. Embrace it!
Why not! Why else would you be predicting that headline? Because it was a traumatic event that you 'sensed'. As to why you didn't warn anyone? Who says I didn't! I would swear I tried to contact the proper authorities and no one would listen. I bet they would even say they have no record of it.

Chad

I'm not comfortable with this. People will ask, for example, "Did you try to warn relatives of the family whose house burned down and whose babies were killed?" No thanks.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Quote:
On 2007-12-07 10:35, entity wrote:
Is using a tragedy to promote yourself as an entertainer a good thing?
- entity

You are not using the tragedy, you are using the newspaper. Its the newspaper who is using the tragedy! They could run any story, but they are going to choose the one which sells the most copies! Its just business.

I would also like to add that if you cannot come up with a solution to this dilema that suits you, then maybe you should not do a headline prediction. Do one of the myriad other ideas posted here. Less risk. Just remember, that the more you risk, the more you stand to gain!

Chad
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
No, Chad. In your previous post you suggested taking advantage of the event by claiming to have tried to contact the authorities about it. In such a case you are using the tragedy to promote yourself as an entertainer. Is that a good thing?

- entity
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1794 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2007-12-07 10:02, Chad Sanborn wrote:

Chad

I think a good newspaper reporter/"authority" team would end up crucifying you if you claimed that you reported it to the authorities and they wouldn't listen.

I predict that each and every one of your effects would be exposed on the front page within the week!

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
You guys are all getting uptight about this subject! I can sense your uneasiness right now. Just because you don't have the 'stones' to do it, don't get upset with me. This is a business, and like any other business, sometimes decisions are tough. And the right ones may run counterintuitive to what you would normally do.

To approach this from any other angle would be to admit its a trick. But I would never do that. I would not say it was real either. But, I would still say I tried to contact some authorities. I would not reveal to whom I supposedly reported it to. I wouldn't want them to be able to check it out.

I can see Maurice Fogel doing this. Then afterward, he would get in touch with the proper authorities and use this prediction to his advantage! Getting them to use him as a 'consultant' or other such item, that he could then use to publicize himself more! "Homeland Security Psychic Consultant".

that's taking advantage of the situation Entity. Yet Maurice would do it. And did do several things like this in his lifetime. You can't always be afraid to take a chance. A man who stands for nothing, will fall for anything. I think you fit that mold well. Sure you talk a good game on the boards behind a fake name. But it takes real balls to show your true self. Something I don't think you could ever do.

Chad
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13154 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
The headline does not have to be tragedy, but can be a "miracle" type event. Any extraordinary or unexpected event can have the same type of impact.

Chad, the Shiels' effect is wasted on this forum.

Tony
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-12-08 13:32, Chad Sanborn wrote:
I can sense your uneasiness right now. Just because you don't have the 'stones' to do it, don't get upset with me.

You call it "stones." Others call it "lack of scruples." And no one is getting upset. Try harder next time. Smile

Quote:
This is a business, and like any other business, sometimes decisions are tough.

Yes. Very tough. How one must agonize over choosing between being a decent human being and exploiting a tragedy for personal gain. As Ricky Jay said to Scully on his X-FILES epsiode, "Who raised *you*?" Smile

Quote:
I would still say I tried to contact some authorities. I would not reveal to whom I supposedly reported it to. I wouldn't want them to be able to check it out.

Well, go right ahead and do that then. We'll see you on 20/20.

Quote:
I can see Maurice Fogel doing this. Then afterward, he would get in touch with the proper authorities and use this prediction to his advantage! Getting them to use him as a 'consultant' or other such item, that he could then use to publicize himself more! "Homeland Security Psychic Consultant".

And in your mind this makes it right?

Quote:
You can't always be afraid to take a chance.

No one is being afraid. We're exercising discretion. Your argument is the same type used when one kid is trying to pressure another kid into shoplifting: "What's the matter? Are ya chicken?!" Smile

Quote:
But it takes real balls to show your true self.

Methinks thou dost protesticle too much.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17585 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Chad's not off his rocker here. He's got a good point. Sink or swim... Do it or don't.
Many people DID report that something bad was going to happen on 911 but no one listened. It would be NORMAL for no one to listen!
Al Mann has a take on this on his Cassette interview now available at lybrary.com or somewhere like that. I have the original 2 cassette package. It is still very strong but takes the bite out of the prediction's negative reaction in a logical way. I would do it that way Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-12-08 16:05, Slim King wrote:
Many people DID report that something bad was going to happen on 911 but no one listened.

Who? Where? When? Specifics please.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17585 Posts

Profile of Slim King
OK... But it will cost you Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-12-08 15:39, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
Methinks thou dost protesticle too much.

I think I "Dost"ed when I should have "Doth"ed. My apologies to Shakespeare.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Some Thoughts on Headline Predictions (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL