The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Two Card Monte (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
Does anyone have a set of instructions for the two card monte they would be willing to share? Maybe a give away you do? Thnaks in advance for any thoughts.

Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
All you ask is covered in Don Driver's Svengali DVD, including instructions, artwork, the handling and explanation to the tip, and how he uses it with the Svengali pitch. As with the Svengali pitch he teaches it is simple and effective.

He also includes the source so you can make these up yourself literally for pennies.
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
777 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
It's easy and It's FUN!!!!
I have tremendous success with it when I perform it and am sure you will too.
I love it ... It's awesome.
Good Luck with it and my Best to you as well.
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hi Fitz,

Two-Card Monte can be found in "The Complete Idiot's Guide To Magic Tricks" by Tom Ogden from Alpha Books, beginning on page 121.

This book can be found in most larger (chain) bookstores such as Barnes & Noble or Books-A-Million. If not in stock, they can order it for you.

This is a fun, easy trick that uses a DF and DB card. It's all in the handling.

Good luck. Mark.
nostromo
View Profile
New user
Pensacola, Fla
79 Posts

Profile of nostromo
Or buy one from your local magic shop - it'll come with directions.
tropicalpenguin
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of tropicalpenguin
If you know cards and you know sleights, then the trick can be easily reverse-engineered from most performances. Some misdirection is used, but oh, man is it worth it.

I think this thing is also a variation on Dr. Daley's Last Trick.... is this the same monte?
-The penguin has spoken Smile

-How could 52 pieces of cardboard ever bring so much joy?
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1363 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
You'll also find the original "Two Card Monte" explained in Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic (p.116-117).

I'm wondering how strong others have found this effect to be in their experience? Do you ever have spectators insisting that you turn over the double backer, rather than being satisfied with you revealing the double facer?

"New Card Monte" (p.117-118) in Mark Wilson's book only requires a double facer, and I wonder if it is a stronger and more convincing effect?

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Since this is in the pitch section and not in one of the magic sections I going to assume he was looking for the directions to give away with the two card monte as a kicker.

If that is the case, the various handlings and trying to make it more deceptive really don't come into play. If you give it away with the Sven deck like Don and David do and like Don teaches on his video, you tip the gaff anyway.

A magic show is a magic show and a pitch is a pitch. Two different things.

Also, this thread is a year and a half old. I'm guessing he's either found the instructions by now, or has forgotten all about it.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1363 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
I've not seen Don's video, but your comment about the distinction between a magic show and a pitch is a good one. I guess this is also why it is justified as part of a pitch to reveal that all cards in a Svengali deck are the forced card (it's a mind-blowing twist, that has a multiple effect of stunning the audience even more, confirming it's a trick deck, and getting closer to clinching a sale), whereas in a magic performance you want to avoid the impression that it's a gaffed deck (so revealing all the cards as the forced card would be a bad idea). Do Don and David recommend performing and revealing the Two Card Monte, or just including it as an extra "freebie" to help make the sale?

For the record, I think tropicalpenguin's post above is confusing the original "Two Card Monte" effect with "Be Honest What Is It" by Eddie Fechter, which requires four cards and is often misnamed "Two Card Monte" after being performed by David Blaine and popularized with the wrong name by ellusionist and penguinmagic. "Be Honest What Is It" uses four regular cards and requires sleights like the DL, "Two Card Monte" of course just requires two gaffed cards.

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1363 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
If anyone is looking for a more serious discussion about performing the Two Card Monte, you'll find one in this thread here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=203

There's also a description of a potentially even more astonishing effect called "New Card Monte", which is a transposition requiring only a single double facer and two other cards. I'm not sure if New Card Monte has any potential for doing a pitch (you could use your cards at hand to perform it), but I figured I'd post the link in case it is of interest to anyone reading this thread.

Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
Greg,

You just gotta BUY Don's DVD. It will really answer all your questions, even gives you suppliers for the Svengali decks AND the 2-card Monte (even the worm!). I started out not even knowing what a Svengali deck WAS, bought Don's DVD and now I'm on my second gross of decks. And I give the 2-card Monte free when they buy the deck.

Don's DVD explains the whole thing, exactly how to get a "tip", demo, pitch, EVERYTHING--even what to do when they DON'T buy. I'ts only $20 and truly is a gem!

Jon
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
827 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Just in case any of you are wondering - Dons' DVD is the one to get. Learn from it - and you'll earn from it.
Easy as that.

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
The DVD also includes instructions and the templates for making up your own Two Card Monte sleeves, at a cost of about 2 cents each, including paper and copy costs. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Yes,in this bad economic time the country is going though you need to makes all the extra income you can,so buy my DVD and learn out to make million (just not in this life time)!If you order before midnight you get NO discount,so hurry and order before time runs out. Besides...I need the money as well.

Don
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
827 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Don,

Gee! No discount? This is just TOO GOOD to pass up! Just where do I send my cash??

Hope I'm not too late!!

DCB

:)
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
827 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Don,

Where can I buy your DVDs? Can't remember whether you said they were still available from you, or through a distributor..

Regards,

DCB
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
http://www.dondriver.com I give dicounts when you buy'em by the dozen..

Don
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Two Card Monte (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL