The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop cup routines (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
micromega
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of micromega
How long is a chop cup routine. The cup that I have came with a routine that is pretty decent and has about 4 or 5 phases including the final load. Is sufficient or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks!
cigam3d
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of cigam3d
ITS AS LONG AS U DECIDE IT TO BE
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
If you're not sure what your options might be, it's well worth taking a look at some routines other people have come up with (standing on the shoulders of giants, and all that).

I'd suggest that you get the Greater Magic Video Library Teach-In DVD on the Chop Cup (from Stevens Magic) - there are some top quality routines on there. I'd also suggest getting Ron Bauer's booklet of the Don Alan routine: I think that this booklet has some great tips about timing, loading and all the details of Don Alan's classic routine.

Then decide what elements of these routines suit you best and come up with your own routine. That's when the fun starts. Smile

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I divide chop cup routines into two categories:

1) routines for magicians
2) routines for the public.

Routines for magicians tend to be long, have odd endings that captivate magicians, or use loading techniques that would be great if you had a "tame" audience, such as the one you find at magic clubs.

Routines for laypeople tend to be short and to the point. They build to a logical climax, do a couple or three loads, then you are ready to perform something else.

Just as most of us study the Vernon routine for the regular cups, because it is a well thought out classic, most of us who do the chop cup study the Don Alan routine for the same reason.

The Don Alan routine is quick, to the point, adaptable to anyone's style, and can be performed under almost any conditions if you have a bit of imagination.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Larry Jennings has a nice routine that I remember from "Jennings on Card and Coin Handling" (at least I'm pretty sure that was the name of it). As I remember it, it sounds similar to what you are referring to in your original post (4 or 5 phases with a final load). Morrissey Magic also had a pretty interesting book, "The 'How To' Book of the Chop Cup," which fused the best phases of several routines into one. Hmmm... now I want to pull my cup off the shelf and play.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Jennings routine had some interesting ideas in it, but they were very convoluted as far as the lay audience is concerned.

The loading method is definitely worth mentioning. The interesting thing about his routine is that it may have borrowed from one that was originated by Larry Grey, who lived in Texas. Larry had a routine called "The cup and a half" which had several of the Jennings ideas, long before Jennings was doing them.

The cup sets for these are quite rare.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Here's an alternative routine you might like:
Shaman's cup Plus
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Stephen Bargatze's routine is a gem. Based on other's ideas, it is fun for most audiences.

Scott
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
Where might one purchase the Bargatze routine?

Thanks--

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think John Bannon's from Impossibilia provides great thinking, fun and entertainment, reduces the "challenge element" and has great patter.

I've found nothing better. I re-worked it so it could be done in-the-hands with the Loomis-Riser cup or my mini leather cup.

If you have a table to perfomr on, it's a blast.

And the whole book is FULL of great patter for many many many types of magic.
from cards to coins to chopcup to cups and balls.....

Find a copy while you still can.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Stephen's routine is in his lecture notes, which are not that easy to come by. I got mine from him in Pigeon Forge a couple of years ago. You can contact him at http://www.magicofstephen.com

Scott
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Was this the Larry Grey known as the DIZZY WIZZARD? A pal and fellow silouette cutter of Dai Vernon's? I saw his vaudeville act and it was COLLOSSALLY FUNNY. I later obtained one of his props (a bucket with a snake in it that had a gunfight with him)... and after the guy I got it from saw me do it took it back.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't know. He was a good friend of Harry Riser, though. Could have been. I'll do some checking during the TAOM convention. Someone there is sure to know.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Grey would be very dead by now... he was Vernon's age.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That would be about right. When I met him in 1960 or so, he was about 60 years old then, maybe older.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
Is there a chop cup routine on John Bannon's videos?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2006-12-12 18:34, Norm wrote:
Is there a chop cup routine on John Bannon's videos?

No. there is not. Get the book. You'll thank me later.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I really like the dan tong chop cup routine...its my favorite I think

I do a chop cup routine in my show...its my closer and have for many years

kozmo
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
One of the best routines is Paul Daniels' -- he did it on stage at the Tropicana Hotel in Las Vegas (of course he still does it everywhere and it doesn't matter what the size of the crowd)!
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Pete - I agree: Paul Daniels' routine is a stunner. I think the basic routine is Ken Brooke's - but there's so much more to it than 'just' the effect.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop cup routines (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL