The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » My website (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
My website is GREAT!

I can say this because it gets me between 7-20 emails per week. Despite having no flash, no animations and nothing complicated or special, it is an excellent marketing tool. This is thanks largely to the advice of Andy Walker and others.

However, as a non web designer, I have the following problems:-

1) The pictures on the website are too big. I do not seem to be able to get them small enough! Can anyone suggest a program that will get them smaller enough? Even photoshop still leaves them quick large.

2) The fonts and table sizes change from browser to browser. On some computers, the user has to scroll sideways. (althought I have never seen this myself.)

3) I want to encourage people to CALL me rather then use the enquiry form or email. When I remove the form or email address, people simply don't contact me at all and I lose the booking. I need a way to encourage people to PICK UP THE PHONE!

Thanks in advance!
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
You are right, your site IS great!!! and yes, your image files ARE big.

Photoshop WILL make your pics smaller, the trick is- ya have to use it right.

There are two things that effect size of an image on the web.... Resolution and size... Ie- how many pixels.

For the web, pictures should be 72 DPI. Next, resize them to be as cloe to the size you want them to be on your site.

If you have layers or transparent backgrounds that will also increase files size.

You COULD use a preloader on your web site, so that once the home page loads it will start preloading the other images for your site.

Your site looks awesome though!

Jpegs will also be a bit smaller than Gifs, but there are other issues. to consider.

Any more questions... just ask!
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
As the earlier post said, Photoshop's 'Save for Web...' option should do the trick so long as you use it correctly. Do you have Adobe ImageReady as well?

Looking at your site, your file sizes don't appear overly large. In any case, give JPEG Cruncher a free try... http://www.digfrontiers.com/crunchers.html

You'll be able to compress your existing images by a further 20% without being a member... but remember, the greater the compression, the lower the image quality.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Thanks! You guys rock!
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I don't have or plan to put up a magic site but what did you do to improve page listing rank? Are you using any SEO (Search Optimization Tools)?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » My website (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL