The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sudoku (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Well I was in a book store and I went to the games section to see if they had anything on magic. All they had were books on Texas Hold'em. But I noticed at least 2 shelves devoted to books on a game I have been seeing everywhere, Sudoku. Every paper I pick up has this game in it. To me is just looks like numbers in a grid. I have no clue how you play it. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co......0714.gif there is a pic of one of the grids. Does anyone play this game? Can anyone explain it to me? Can anyone offer and tips?
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
Piemontese Alps ( Northwestern Italy )
240 Posts

Profile of galerius
You have to fill the grid so that for every square, column and row there's a digit ( 1 to 9 ) just once.
ralphdean
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern Ca
302 Posts

Profile of ralphdean
Go to http://www.websudoku.com for all the games you want.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
The other day I saw someone playing a new kind of sudoku. It looked to be very similar to regular sudoku but they were using letters instead of numbers. It was really weird.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
tropicalpenguin
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of tropicalpenguin
It's just a harder version

Classic Sudoku has a 9x9 grid, divided into nine, 3x3 grids, where the goal is that every row, column and section uses the numbers 1-9 exactly once.

The letter version is the same, except it's a 25x25 grid, divided into 25 5x5 grids, and you use the letters A-Y

Much harder, because there's just more stuff to keep track of.
-The penguin has spoken Smile

-How could 52 pieces of cardboard ever bring so much joy?
ralphdean
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern Ca
302 Posts

Profile of ralphdean
Arrg! I'm having enough difficulty with the 9x9 version. I can not put down the news paper until I do the puzzle though. Glad I never caught on to crosswords.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
There is also Sudoku that uses both letters and numbers. I am too lazy to check in my book now but I think it is letters a to f and numbers 1 to 6
Abo Raum
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Abo Raum
Soduku comes standard in bicycle card packs now instead of texas hold em rules
tropicalpenguin
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of tropicalpenguin
Rather, it's an ad because US Playing Card Co. is manufacturing decks of Sudoku now. They package the same puzzle in every deck (I should know, I go through cards like most humans go through water!)
-The penguin has spoken Smile

-How could 52 pieces of cardboard ever bring so much joy?
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
I recently learnt how to do it thanks to being bored at work, and quickly found them boring.

Glad to hear there is a 25 one... that's really sweet.

Once you understand how to eliminate things and pairs, even the "hardest" of the sudoku fall pretty fast....

Also, I would AVOID http://www.websudoku.com

I just tried one of their "evil" puzzles and it had 25 different solutions, and a real sudoku has only 1 solution, ones with more than one are "broken".

So if it is giving out broken sudoku on the evil level, not sure what the quality of the puzzles they give are.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Over at the Grey Matters Mental Gym, I host randomly-generated Sudoku puzzles that you can solve online.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sudoku (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL