The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » Rolling up hill (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
juggling1
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
196 Posts

Profile of juggling1
Sorry if this had been posted before but I didn't know what to call it or see it mentioned anywhere else. Ive heard of these hills where cars in neutral or balls appear to be rolling up hill. Where are these located? Is it an illusion or does it have something to do with the gavitational pull? Seems amazing to me. I would love to see one in real life. Does anyone know of any video clps?
Thanx
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
This has not been posted before. I was originally from New Jersey and there was a place where you could stop your car, leave it in neutral and it would roll UP the hill. I honestly feel it was all optical, it really looked downhill, but I personally feel it was the way it looked. It was definitely weird....
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
It is an optical illusion.
Steve V
juggling1
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
196 Posts

Profile of juggling1
Rennie, where was that located in NJ? I would love to visit it sometime, how long was the hill?
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Juggling1,
It was outside a small town in northern New Jersey called Harmony. I would estimate it was maybe 1/8 of a mile, not real steep. It was neat because I used to drive down the hill, stop at the bottom and leave my car in neutral of course with the brake off and it would start going up the hill backwards. Felt weird..If you are really interested I would have to do more checking for an exact location.
Rennie
juggling1
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
196 Posts

Profile of juggling1
Yes, I would absolutely be intersted in the exact location, in my spare time, I hitch hike a lot so I tend to get around. I would definitely make a point to see it. What's life worth living if your not experiencing it.
juggling1
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
196 Posts

Profile of juggling1
I am also interested in. What in the world would cause such an optical illusion? Are there any books writen about these mysterous hills?
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2006-08-17 03:38, juggling1 wrote:
Yes I would absoloutely be intersted in the exact location, in my spare time I hitch hike a lot so I tend to get around. I would definently make a point to see it. Whats life worth living if your not experiencing it.

To begin, where do you live?
Rennie
juggling1
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
196 Posts

Profile of juggling1
Winfield, West Virgina right now, but if my work keeps going the way it is now, I should be in Destin, Flordia by Christmas.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
When would you be going to Jersey ?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Here's some info from Weird NJ about 'gravity roads'.
http://www.weirdnj.com/stories/_roads03.asp
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2006-08-20 08:31, Jaz wrote:
Here's some info from Weird NJ about 'gravity roads'.
http://www.weirdnj.com/stories/_roads03.asp

Jaz,
I found that very interesting. Being originally from northern New Jersey ( Warren County) I was not aware we had more than one gravity hill. I did not see the one listed that I used to go on though. What part of New Jersey are you from?
Rennie
juggling1
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
196 Posts

Profile of juggling1
Right now I am on house arrest so probably no until around December.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Reminds me of the stream flowing uphill.....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
juggling1
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
196 Posts

Profile of juggling1
The stream is what reminded me of these hills. I also found this site that's very interesting and list a bunch of GH world wide.
http://research.umbc.edu/~Frizzell/gravhills.html

I think I will vist the ne in Huntsville AL. on my way to Flordia.
juggling1
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
196 Posts

Profile of juggling1
Sorry about that I guess its cap sensitive. Try this one:

http://research.umbc.edu/~frizzell/gravhills.html
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
There is "Magnetic Hill" in New Brunswick, Canada. Nice illusion, and everything is explained at the site. (Does this count as exposure? Does not seem to stop people from enjoying it!).

Have a nice day!

Louis Jutras
williamHerrick
View Profile
Regular user
Mountain View, CA
140 Posts

Profile of williamHerrick
Hi,

There is a place called "The Mystery Spot" near Santa Cruz, CA (just south of San Jose), that has the ball rolling uphill optical illusion you are talking about (as well as many other optical illusion type effects). I went to it as a kid and thought it was really amazing. Here's the website:

http://www.mysteryspot.com/

Hope this helps,
William
elbruno
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of elbruno
There is also a place here in Florida that is called "Spook Hill" which has the same illusion. It is located in the central part of the state (not far from Orlando) in a town called Lake Wales. There is a hokey sign at the site which gives the legend of Spook Hill...as I recall, it had something to do with Indians.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » Rolling up hill (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL