The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » John Mendoza - My Best (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
Well, thanks for the kind words everyone. I must confess that working for magicians is NOT my thing. I have made a living with close-up magic for nearly 35 years and it has been almost all for real people and not magicians. I do an occasional lecture and convention, but not very often.

To the "dental analogy" I can only say that to each his own. I know my running line works. Slydini once told me that by low keying your work, it makes it stronger with laymen and I believe that to be true. He oftens said, "It's not much..." to his audiences. I think that was a little TOO much of a low-key, but the "..not a trick, it's not going to fool you..." has worked for me for decades and still played with the audience at L&L.

I specifically did NOT want a "patronizing" magic audience for that shoot and insisted they were done as performed. I advised those who I knew to be laymen NOT to "ham it up," and just react naturally to what they saw.

One thing that magicians have some difficulty with is that I do a show, a performance, not tricks. People ask me to do tricks and I advise, them that hookers and dogs do tricks, I do a show. If you ever got Albert Goshmnan alone, he didn't do much magic (and I got along with and loved Albert,) because he was really geared to his show, not individual tricks. My personna builds as the show progresses. It begins low and usually ends up with a standing ovation from laymen. I, in fact, just did a private show last week and mentioned to the booker that I wish this could be videotaped verbatim for magicians to see.

Also, regarding the person in Flint, MI, I'm sorry if you took me to lunch and were somehow offended. Mary Wolf and I had driven directly to Michigan from Florida and I did a three hour plus midnight lecture that was then repeated the following day, so I'm sure I wasn't entirely myself.

But, in any case, those who know me well know that I rarely discuss magic with magicians because my forte is presentation and recognizing a trick that will play. Sure, I can do the pass and seconds, but that's not my real focus of enthusiasm when it comes to magic. I'm sure this is founded on the fact that, for me, magic has always been a job, not a hobby or avocation. I take it very seriously as it appears to the public that pays me to perform.

I think I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of magicians who have really seen me work (not for magicians, but a real show.) One big name (who did attend a real show, who I won't disclose unless he sees this and okays it,) told Chris Korn that the best real world performer he ever saw in his entire life was me. Well, I'm flattered, but I made that impact because he saw me work for people.

I used to begin my lectures by telling magicians that, of course, we are all excited about learning how a trick works, but in my lecture please keep in mind that how a trick works is the least important information I will impart.

So, I hope everyone gets some modicum of enjoyment from the DVD's. They were made over 2 YEARS ago!!! And, as I stated, I like things just the way they are, so I'm sure it shows when I got a little tired every now and then. Anyway, anyone can PM me with any questions and good luck to all of you with your magic and whatever path you choose to take with it.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
For those new to magic that don't understand runawayjag's comments, it's OK. Keep learning and growing and strive for excelence in magic and yourself.

For those seasoned performers that don't understand runawayjag's comments, it's OK. Keep learning and growing and strive for excelence in magic and yourself.

Yes, I'm being a "little" tounge 'n' cheek, but anyone that knows the work of John Mendoza appreciates his honesty, his skill and his ability to know what "works"!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
TheManWithoutFear
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of TheManWithoutFear
The video was great kammagic. Nice work. I truely enjoyed the voice over at the end. Nice touch.
VMC_Alex
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of VMC_Alex
Did anyone else notice how in the video clip on the L & L website John reveals the two spectators cards, but one of them is wrong.

He and the spectator agree that the card is the three of diamonds. But if you pause the video, you will see that one of the cards is the six of diamonds and not the three of diamonds.

I just found that unusual.
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1263 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Alex:

2 different filming takes?
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-09-09 00:03, Steve Hook wrote:
Alex:

2 different filming takes?

Pretty good deductive reasoning Steve!!!

Chris

Tophie
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of Tophie
I received my set this week.

I thought that Mr. Mendoza's presentations to be very entertaining.

I especially enjoyed his presentations of the cups and balls, especially his combo cups routine.

ive owned a Johnson combo cups set and never realized the potential of the effect especially with the cup and ball elimination through the routine.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2006-09-06 21:41, runawayjag wrote:

Well, thanks for the kind words everyone. I must confess that working for magicians is NOT my thing. I have made a living with close-up magic for nearly 35 years and it has been almost all for real people and not magicians.

....[M]y forte is presentation and recognizing a trick that will play....I'm sure this is founded on the fact that, for me, magic has always been a job, not a hobby or avocation. I take it very seriously as it appears to the public that pays me to perform.

I used to begin my lectures by telling magicians that, of course, we are all excited about learning how a trick works, but in my lecture please keep in mind that how a trick works is the least important information I will impart.

When I first started my magic education in 1980, one of the first books my mentor sold me was the book "Close-up Presentation" by John Mendoza. This is a must read if you can find it. The book was published in 1979 and has been OOP for many many years.

Occasionally, but very very rarely, this book appears on eBay. This is a gem of a book and should be required reading for all persons starting out in magic (and for all "experienced" magicians who realize that (or wonder if) there is something missing in their performance and their connection with the audience--and they don't know what it is).

I've written John before and strongly urged(begged?) him to consider reprinting this book and, I think, he is thinking about it. Perhaps, if others nagged him enough, he'd get of his....couch and re-release this treasure to the magic community.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
I've truly thought about it, but everytime I do, I realize how very comfortable I am on my....couch. But, in fact, I have totally re-written the manuscript to bring it up to date and do have it on my computer, along with BOJIII, but I just think there are SO many magic books out right now that I'm not sure the magic world needs another. As Marlo always used to say, "There are already enough card tricks...." Same applies to magic books, at least for awhile.
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
Quote:
On 2006-09-11 03:43, runawayjag wrote:
I've truly thought about it, but everytime I do, I realize how very comfortable I am on my....couch. But, in fact, I have totally re-written the manuscript to bring it up to date and do have it on my computer, along with BOJIII, but I just think there are SO many magic books out right now that I'm not sure the magic world needs another. As Marlo always used to say, "There are already enough card tricks...." Same applies to magic books, at least for awhile.

I think there can never be too many good card tricks or good card books. Granted what constitutes as good is completely subjective but I think BOJ 3 would be well received and you obviously have a fan base.

Then again, if my couch was comfortable, I could get caught up on "my stories" and the other shows we TIVOed.
Daniel Lander
View Profile
Loyal user
Gloucestershire, England
293 Posts

Profile of Daniel Lander
Quote:
On 2006-09-08 17:11, VMC_Alex wrote:
Did anyone else notice how in the video clip on the L & L website John reveals the two spectators cards, but one of them is wrong.

He and the spectator agree that the card is the three of diamonds. But if you pause the video, you will see that one of the cards is the six of diamonds and not the three of diamonds.

The spectator - Janel - misremembers her card and calls out the 3 of Diamonds, but her card was the 6 of Diamonds. This is cleared up immediately after that clip ends.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I orded the whole DVD set today directly from L&L Publishing.
Anyone knows what effects on them are in John's books "Book of John" and "Book of John Two"?
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-09-11 20:08, Daniel Lander wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-09-08 17:11, VMC_Alex wrote:

The spectator - Janel - misremembers her card and calls out the 3 of Diamonds, but her card was the 6 of Diamonds. This is cleared up immediately after that clip ends.

Janel can do whatever she wants......

solidoak
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of solidoak
I just got these DVDs and I'm really looking forward to studying them. My wife bought "The Book of John" for me on our first Christmas together. I've been a Mendoza fan ever since. Not many books out there can claim that every effect is a real-world audience tested winner.

I just saw John perform last month and his low-key manner simply destroys an audience. By the end of the show, his "not gonna fool you" line had the whole audience hysterical. I can see how that may not translate well on a video, but you should see it live.

This ones gonna be a keeper.
Rick
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Great DVD set. I had some old VHS of John that is now on Live and Personal, and, have been doing the "squeeze" and John's version of Final Ace for years.

I had to compliment this set with a purchase of John's "Poker Machine" from Hocus Pocus, and wow, that is nothing short of a complete fooler. It looks completely impossible. I'm going to have fun with this.

I love this DVD set and the poker machine.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2006-09-13 02:22, tdowell wrote:
Great DVD set. I had some old VHS of John that is now on Live and Personal, and, have been doing the "squeeze" and John's version of Final Ace for years.

I had to compliment this set with a purchase of John's "Poker Machine" from Hocus Pocus, and wow, that is nothing short of a complete fooler. It looks completely impossible. I'm going to have fun with this.

I love this DVD set and the poker machine.

Tdowell,

Thanks for that info. Your praise of the "Poker Machine" got me curious and I immediately went and read the Hocus Pocus ad. I hope you can provide clarification on a few related issues without revaling or suggesting any methodology being used.

Can a borrowed deck be used to do the entire effect (i.e., all the phases) and, if so, can the deck be freely shuffled by the spectator before each of the phases is performed and then can the spectator choose any 5 cards from anywhere in the deck for any and all phases of the routine?

If a freely shuffled borrowed deck and any 5 cards in the deck can be used for any and all of the phases of this effect, I'll really be impressed with this effect. I'm impressed now just reading the description in the Hocus Pocus ad but, as we all have learned, sometimes, with magic ads it's not what the ad says but what it doesn't say (and what you don't think to ask or what you presume to be true) that is crucial.

I'm just trying to obtain as much information about the effect (but not the methodology) before then trying to decide if I can "afford" not to spend the $350.00 on this excellent device.

Thanks for any info in these regards.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
Yes to all your questions. No way to figure this out.

Sean
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Thanks, Sean. WOW!! This is really an intriguing item. I never knew any such item existed. Its easy to see how this would fool those in the know with the deck being so freely handled, shuffled and used.

I'm really glad the tdowell tipped this to the Café members.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
More postings about the Poker Machine can be found at:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5262 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2006-09-11 22:50, MagicChris wrote:
"...Janel can do whatever she wants...."

But how do I convince her to do whatever I want? Smile

I just purchased a Poker Machine, and it's absolutely brilliant. That being said, I'm not sure if or in what type of venue I'll actually use it, because I don't envision carrying it around for walkaround gigs, and it's not visual enough for larger audiences in my stand-up gigs. I highly recommend it if you have a venue where you think it would fit.

Larry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » John Mendoza - My Best (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL