The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » John Mendoza - My Best (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of David French
Wow! A new Book by John Mendoza! I would be the first, okay second, to buy it/them. I do hope you do publish them John. I too have Close up Presentation and your Books of John. They still remain a true inspiration.

When this set of DVD's finaly hit the market, I did not even read the ad copy, I bought them. There was no doubt they had to be in my library. I was not disapointed, but excited to watch, learn and enjoy them.

David
akc22
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of akc22
Al Stanger's Incredible Poker Machine (which Mendoza performs on the DVD) is an amazing effect. It's particularly timely with the rise in popularity of poker playing in the general public. It's a bit hard to see on video but it looks great in person.
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
Al Stanger is a mathematical genius. And, an outstanding magician and juggler. If you ever want a real lesson in work with a memorized deck, he's your guy. He'll fool you left and right with that simple principle.

In reply to some questions about the Machine, it can be done exactly as the stated routine in the ads (which I, in fact, did on the DVD,) but you need not do that routine. You can add revelations or eliminate revelations as fits your style.

If you use it as a "carryaround" item and don't present the full routine as done on the DVD, yes, you can do it impromptu, so to speak. That is, someone can hand you a deck, shuffle it to kingdom come and you do the trick. With three revelations, in that specific context, the final phase as shown on the DVD is devastating to magicians and laymen both.

It's a great idea, but I really want to emphasize to everyone that I did nothing but routine it and write detailed instructions. It's a great trick and I am thankful that Al allowed me to demo it on the DVD. He didn't want it "tipped," and I don't blame him for that. Take care, everyone and, again, thanks for some very kind thoughts.
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Quote:

Can a borrowed deck be used to do the entire effect (i.e., all the phases) and, if so, can the deck be freely shuffled by the spectator before each of the phases is performed and then can the spectator choose any 5 cards from anywhere in the deck for any and all phases of the routine?

If a freely shuffled borrowed deck and any 5 cards in the deck can be used for any and all of the phases of this effect, I'll really be impressed with this effect. I'm impressed now just reading the description in the Hocus Pocus ad but, as we all have learned, sometimes, with magic ads it's not what the ad says but what it doesn't say (and what you don't think to ask or what you presume to be true) that is crucial.

I'm just trying to obtain as much information about the effect (but not the methodology) before then trying to decide if I can "afford" not to spend the $350.00 on this excellent device.

Thanks for any info in these regards.

Mike

1. Can a borrowed deck be used to do the entire effect (i.e., all the phases)? -

Yes, you can use any normal deck, even borrowed. Some minor set up will make some of the phases easier to perform, but it is not necessary.

2. Can the deck be freely shuffled by the spectator before each of the phases is performed?

Theoretically yes, but it would make the routine much more difficult to perform. It really is not necessary to have the spectator shuffle the deck at all. They choose the cards in any position they want from the spread, more than once, and you freely shuffle the deck (no false shuffles) a few times right under their noses. The spectators will never question the open handling of the deck. Its just not an issue. But, if you were skilled enough in card slights and handling, you could have the spectator shuffle the deck.

3. Can the spectator choose any 5 cards from anywhere in the deck for any and all phases of the routine?

The spectator pushes the cards out of a spread in two of the phases, cuts the deck in one of the phases, and the last phase ends with the spectator choosing a location in the deck from which cards are removed. This way all possible explainations are eliminated.

The last phase is simply stunning. 5 cards are removed face down, the spectator chooses one which is left face down, and the spectator enters the remaining cards in any order they choose. The machine responds with the correct prediction before the chosen card is ever turned over or seen...It blows you away!!!

You can't afford not to have this. Its well worth the money.

The Poker Machine is one of the coolest things I've purchased in a long time. The 4 phase routine is a stunner and completely baffles. I still don't understand all the workings, but it does work.
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
Here here!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5260 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I just received the DVDs and in my opinion they contain some very strong material. Different effects will speak to different magicians, and the Bendix Bombshell card to wallet routine spoke to me the most. It's incredibly direct, has a sound premise (observation test), the wallet is in full view throughout the routine, no palming is involved (nothing wrong with palming but I think this version is stronger than palming methods), and the ending is such a surprise that the audience will feel like you hit them on the side of the head with a two by four!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » John Mendoza - My Best (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL