The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Question about Magic Schools (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

negrette
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, DC
178 Posts

Profile of negrette
Hello all,

I'm not really new to magic, but after looking over all the areas I could post this, I really had no idea which was appropriate. So I thought I'd put it here. Sorry if this was a poor choice.

My question concerns magic schools. Recently I was reading the May 2006 issue of Magic Magazine, specifically the article on Channing Pollock. It mentions how he attended the Chavez School of Magic, college of dexterity and apparently how he was able to use his GI Bill for it. So I'm wondering, is/was this a real school? An actual college? The fact that he was able to pay for it with the GI Bill would indicate to me that it is, but I'm not overly familiar with any restrictions on the use of the GI Bill.

I'm curious because I love the idea of this. I know there are specialty colleges of all sorts but never realized there might be one for magic. Just curious if anyone has any information on the Chavez School or any current such schools. Even if the Chavez School is not still around I'd love to hear some information about it.

Thanks all for your time.
Mallusionist definition of the Simple force: The cards are fanned and if the spectator tries to take the wrong card, the magician holds onto the deck really, really tight.
http://www.mallusionist.com
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
http://www.lanceburton.com/learn/fraternity.html Scroll down abit to get the info on the Chavez School of Magic which is still in operation.
Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Negrette,

I'm currently enrolled with the Chavez Studio. It's headed by Dale Salwak, and you can either do private study in California or home-based study. It focuses on manipulation of cards, coins, billiard balls, thimbles, and cigarettes (or similarly shaped objects), but also includes lessons on showmanship, stagecraft, routining shows, using music, agents, etc. There's also a primer on doves. I've been unable to work on it for awhile, but have just started back up.

You can find more info at Dale's site - http://www.dalesalwak.com/
Don't hesitate to contact him with questions. He's very nice, and is more than willing to help!

Btw - it's true that after WWII the GI Bill paid for veterans to attend, but that's no longer the case.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
negrette
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, DC
178 Posts

Profile of negrette
Wow, that's incredible. Attending a school like would be an excellent way to really delve into the art I'm sure. I'm curious though, would the home-based study be any different from actually just studying from some of the classic books, like Card College, Royal Road, etc.?
Mallusionist definition of the Simple force: The cards are fanned and if the spectator tries to take the wrong card, the magician holds onto the deck really, really tight.
http://www.mallusionist.com
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
The course is more about manipulation and developing skills on a stage rather than close-up magic. However, a close-up pad is just a small stage. Smile

The best part of the course is that it doesn't give you different productions/vanishes/etc. only to leave you to figure out how to piece them together to make a routine, like many of the available books and videos.
Take McBride's Card Manipulation and World Class Manipulation series for example. I have both, and they're excellent. But, what they lack is teaching you how to take what you've learned and develop it into a routine. It's like giving you different colors of paint, and leaving you to paint a masterpiece without knowing the fundamentals of art. The Chavez course, on the other hand, gives you full routines that you can use as is, or as guidelines in creating your own. There's nothing else out there like it.
Besides, books and videos don't give you feedback. You can send a video of yourself at anytime to Dale, and he'll critique your performance and give you advice on improving.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
ryoma4148
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of ryoma4148
I have a friend called Harry who attended to "Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry" I think... maybe this could help Smile
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
Isn't that the one headed up by Albus Dumbledore? He seems like a swell fellow!
Smile Tally-ho! And Tuscarora too! Smile
Ananda
View Profile
New user
Jambudvipa
81 Posts

Profile of Ananda
Jeff McBride and Eugene Burger (and others) teach in Las Vegas at the McBride Magic and Mystery School.

http://www.magicalwisdom.com/school.php

Best,
-Ananda.
"All phenomena are like a magically conjured illusion, like a mirage, like the moon reflected in water, like empty space, like an echo, like a dream, like a shadow, like an image in a mirror." - Nagarjuna
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Question about Magic Schools (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL