The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Gazzo's new DVD (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
I closed my after-hours stage show this evening with Gazzo's cups and balls routine, and the audience loved it. I introduce the routine by saying that "the classics keep theater alive"; Gazzo's routine is one of those classics.

Curt
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
I did an late nite adult birthday party last night,,,, and in the middle of my Pro Nightmare routine someone had the audacity to phone.

when they answered, I asked for the phone and then pulled gazzo's ball line on the phone. It brought the house down. After about 5 minutes the person called back. It set up some more great repartee....

There is a lot to be learned from great performers. I found many many things on his DVD that I can use. And since he is publishing the material, I don;t feel bad in using what I like. But there are somethings where the humour etc, isn't me. But the old adage, "Take the best, Leave the rest" rings true.
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Jonton
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
336 Posts

Profile of Jonton
Quote:
On 2006-10-15 08:28, SeaDawg wrote:
I did an late nite adult birthday party last night,,,, and in the middle of my Pro Nightmare routine someone had the audacity to phone.

when they answered, I asked for the phone and then pulled gazzo's ball line on the phone. It brought the house down. After about 5 minutes the person called back. It set up some more great repartee....

There is a lot to be learned from great performers. I found many many things on his DVD that I can use. And since he is publishing the material, I don;t feel bad in using what I like. But there are somethings where the humour etc, isn't me. But the old adage, "Take the best, Leave the rest" rings true.

I must have used that line about 50 times since I first heard him use it in mid-september. I totally agree with you on taking what you can use and leaving the rest for history.
~Jonathan
I Came, I Saw, I Conjured
www.jontaylornyc.com
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
On the Gazzo video on Whit Haydn's site, Gazzo vanishes a silk with a TT and then says something like "I hope the thumb tip is the right colour for the cameras". Is that (or something similar) a standard Gazzo line, or was it just for the video? I thought it was possibly a good idea because it would pre-empt anyone thinking of shouting out "he's wearing a thumb tip", while those who didn't know about such things wouldn't know what he was talking about.
Jolyon Jenkins
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
That was an inside joke for the cameras. Also, if you look carefully you'll see many performers in the crowd, including Cellini and our own Kosmo.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Jonton
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
336 Posts

Profile of Jonton
Are you talking about the one in Boston? If so, that's one of the most horrible TT's I've seen in a while (but still a decent color for the cameras).
~Jonathan
I Came, I Saw, I Conjured
www.jontaylornyc.com
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Yes I think it's Boston
I hope all the magis present tipped well.
Jolyon Jenkins
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
On the street theatre there are a couple of performers, jugglers I think, who use the "What has little balls..." gag. Is this gag Gazzos or is it a fairly well known gag?
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Quote:
On 2006-08-17 09:43, Scott Compton wrote:
I saw Gazzo perform right after the IBM convention in Miami. My wife and I went to Key West and saw his act. Truthfully, I thought it was very basic, and the loads were telegraphed. I had heard so much about how great he was, but truthfully, I was not impressed.

So we left the boardwalk and went to Schooner Wharf to see Frank Everhart, Jr. - now that is a magician!

Scott

Dangit.
My family and I where going to go to Key West after the convention as well. But we went to Cocoa Beach to watch the discovery launch instead. I would have loved to see the buskers down there. I hear they are great.
The Great Dave
View Profile
Loyal user
My Wife said "It's Me or that Stupid Magic Website!" this many times.
202 Posts

Profile of The Great Dave
Quote:
On 2006-08-17 09:43, Scott Compton wrote:
I saw Gazzo perform right after the IBM convention in Miami. My wife and I went to Key West and saw his act. Truthfully, I thought it was very basic, and the loads were telegraphed. I had heard so much about how great he was, but truthfully, I was not impressed.

So we left the boardwalk and went to Schooner Wharf to see Frank Everhart, Jr. - now that is a magician!

Scott

Scott,
You are right on the money with your perception of Gazzo. You left the IBM convention after a multiple day blast of magicians and went to see Gazzo – who points out in his DVD that he performs for lay audiences and not for magicians. His show is more about clowning around with the audience than doing magic tricks. That’s why he only does about three tricks per show. Unlikely that you saw much audience interaction from the performers at the IBM convention (Gazzo’s strong suit) or that any of the magicians you saw spent 45 minutes doing three tricks. Gazzo is just a different kind of performer than IBM magicians performing for other magicians. He makes his show out of the spectators and not the magic tricks.

And I will wager you three oranges and a melon that Gazzo made more people laugh and feel like they were part of the show than all the magicians at the IBM convention combined…

Best Wishes,
Dave
Academy of Magical Arts

Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat! Whoops, wrong hat ...
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Dave, that is a little like comparing a small soccer ball to a large orage, if ya get my drift.

Different stroks and different folks. Both maybe very good a what they do, but one is markedly different than the other.

I am little more like Gazzo... as a late bloomer into the game I will never be able to compete with the whiz kid techno geniuses that seem to come out of every where. In fact if co-ordination kills, some people will bet I live forever,,,LOL

But I do know how to make'em laugh, and sometimes laugh at the goofiest of things.
Knowing which business you are in certainly helps. and I have no delusions, I am in the entertainment business....

all the worlds a stage... and so is the street...
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I liked those last 2 posts! thank you dave and seadawg.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
859 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
I have a melon and 6 final fruit navel oranges awaiting me at home from https://www.stevemyersmagic.com/ Has anyone used a juggling top hat for their final load? I really wanted my scally cap to work with this but it is too small. I'm not too keen on the bowler look and if I am going to by a hat for this one routine, I want an iconic "magician's" hat.

Has anyone used either of the following?

https://www.dube.com/hat/tall-juggling-hats.php

or

https://www.renegadejuggling.com/double-felt-top-hat
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2006, flimnar wrote:
In addition, Gazzo is a master of misdirection with comedy and outrageous behavior. The magic is only a part of the experience.

Flimnar

This is why I would not get the DVD, except as a chance to see Gazzo work. In order to get the full value of Gazzo's work, you pretty much have to BE Gazzo!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I don’t agree that gazzo is a master of misdirection.
Like many, he’s descent.

He’s a master entertainer. That’s what he is a master of.

If you want to study misdirection there are far better choices to study from.

If you want to study what makes an act entertaining, gazzo is a great choice.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
markmagic
View Profile
New user
KY
51 Posts

Profile of markmagic
I can watch his videos over and over and still be entertained.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2006, cfrye wrote:
Compton,

During his Seattle master class, Gazzo showed us the loading sequence and said "You know, magicians yell 'He's putting the cup in the bag!!!' Yes, I put the cup in the bag. Get over it."

So, yes, Gazzo keeps the loading simple and wholly transparent to magicians. But for the uninitiated, it works very well.

Curt

And, magicians should not yell that anyway, it's rude!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Gazzo's new DVD (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL