The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Alternatives to C'&B's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
I like closing with the cups and balls on the street because it is a great closer. However, I am really looking to do something else. To do the cups and balls you need a table and it isn't practical for me to carry a table. I have found a lot of kids sit down during my shows too so they can't see the balls very well on top of the table top.

Other routines I do are - linking rings, egg bag, Slydini silks, rope trick. These tricks are really visible, I can walk around and show them to everyone and I don't need a table. I think these tricks are a lot more practical for the street for me than the cups and balls. However, I don't think any of them have quite the punch of the cups and balls. I want to finish strong.

Are there other classic effects that have been used on the street as closers?
Any suggestions?

Simon
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The rings work well but I find nothing beats the punch of the final/hat loads.
For this reason, I move anyone sitting back further and let them know they will see better from further back. Sometimes I drop a rope on the ground to indicate where the seating should begin.

If you just don't want to carry a table...
You could do a balloon swallow? Mine takes 2 minutes to complete.

I know nothing about escapes but a strait-jacket escape could work well.
Simon Lovell has a very funny escape on his "live" video.

If you're a stand-up performer, you should own this video.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Here is a stray thought I had a while back.... I thought it would be an interesting idea to do an egg bag effect with an egg or whatever and the towards the end load a jumbo object into the bag. This would be in lou of a final hat load... You could also do a misers dream sequence and finish with some sort of multi coin or jumbo coin production...If you go the coin rout go for a bigget than 5 inch coin, go realy big.

My opinion would be that any large production of an item will get the shock appeal that you may be looking for in order to reach into their wallets.

Ive also seen people do things like rope through neck for a closer... it was ok... remeber there is a weath of ideas you just need to pick the perfect one that works for you...

If I can think of anything else Ill post it... I know theres mor in my head somplace.

Yours Anton
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
You can close with anything you're good at communicating to the audience. It is about the performance, not the effect.

Close with something you enjoy.
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Well in some respects Jim, your right you can do anything you want... but somthing that impresses the audience like a large fianl load could be the diffrence between a one and a five.

AJR
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2006-08-17 14:19, AntonDreaming wrote:
Well in some respects Jim, your right you can do anything you want... but somthing that impresses the audience like a large fianl load could be the diffrence between a one and a five.

AJR

What is Alakazam's final load?
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Anything can be a closer, anything. You just have to sell the hell out of it. If you don't sell it the cups and balls won't get you anything either no matter how big your load.

I've seen a guy close with one egg, one glass, one playing card, and a broom. That was his only stunt in a thirty minute show. He was pulling 5's and 10's. There are people who street perform who are famous for doing nothing so well that it earns them top dollar.

It is the sizzle not the steak.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I agree that it is the performance and not the effect and that probably anything could work as a closer. I will keep searching for what works for me.

I like the idea of a strait-jacket escape.
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Wow Jim incredibly funny...

Actualy What my man Al does is on a compleatly diffrent leval that what were talking about here. You shouldent ever confuse a juggler with a magician...there two very diffrent shows for very diffrent reasons.

What Im talking about is somnthing in respect to magic not juggling. If I was talking to a juggler I would make juggling sugestions in this case a magician asked so I'm giving magic related sugestions.

My opinion about the final load is simply based on the slack jaw expression that ends up on peoples faces... Yeah anything can work but somthing that leaves them truly scatcing their head wounding "how on earth did I miss that" is more likely to elicet the "yeah that was worth 5$" responce.

The reason people like jumbo loads is the same reason lay poeple like jumbo coins. For some reason people are naturaly impressed by them.

Yeah there are some people who do nothing and others who do everything. Do what you can get away with.

Yeah once agian it can be anything you want but remeber a piece of advice AL gave me one day while hanging out "no one doesn'nt tip because a trick was too incredible".

Hey do what you want...

James Royalty
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Alternatives to C'&B's (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL