The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Copper cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Is it just a tactile illusion or do copper cups really have a better feel than cups of other metals. Incidentally, with the escalating prices for copper on the world markets are cup manufacturers turning more decisively now to other, cheaper metals? Why are copper cups so popular to begin with? Is it because they're easier to spin or because of their long-term aesthetic appeal once the patina has set in?

Fortasse
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Yes.

You have asked a rather complicated series of questions. The preference of materials (Copper, Brass, Stainless Steel, Aluminum, etc.) can be viewed as a subjective issue. Brass does not Patina as easily as Copper. Stainless will not patina at all. Aluminum will, over time, turn black (become coated with aluminum oxide).

The Copper used for spinning Cups is an alloy, in most cases, and not pure Copper. Brass is also an alloy that contains copper as it's main ingredient. There are many different alloys available in both Copper and Brass colors.

Personally I do not think that Copper Cups have a better "feel" to them. If I put on a blindfold I can not distinguish a set of Brass Sherwoods from a Copper set.

Copper can be easier to spin depending upon the selected alloy. Any spun product will become work hardened and need to be annealed.

I feel that the popularity of Copper is due to the color and the subdued and mystical appearance of deep patina.

Bill Sutter
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Copper is most definitely easier to spin than brass, generally speaking. Pure copper has a tendency to be very soft, but it will work harden. Brass will work harden also, and if it is not annealed properly, it will develop cracks years after the original spinning. This has happened to many of the Paul Fox candy dishes.

Now, some cups and balls experts prefer copper, because after it patinas, it will not reflect the contents of a hand that passes in front of it. Brass can develop a patina as well, but it usually turns black or dark green instead of deep brown.

Silver has its own problems. Most places that spin copper won't work on silver, because it requires a very clean environment. There are other reasons as well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Just in ...jade balls for the copper cups by Brett Sherwood.
I just got my set today and they really are striking on any copper cups.
He did a great job on them.
Here are some links for you guys to check them out.

http://my.en.com/~mobius/_private/Jade_Gold_copper0001b.jpg

http://my.en.com/~mobius/_private/Jade_Gold_copper0002aa.jpg

http://my.en.com/~mobius/_private/Jade_Gold_copper0003a.jpg

Later,
Mobius
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
What cup is pictured first?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Pic 1a is the James Riser Jumbo Cup with Jade/gold ball.
P2aa is the sherwood copper smooth cup with Jade/gold ball
Pic 3 is just the ball itself.
Sorry for any confusion I may have caused in my excitement to post pics....ooops.
That is why I am part of Cups and Balls anonymous Smile
Mobius
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Those do look good.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
The color looks more to me like a bright turquoise than jade. Perhaps the lighting in the photo? I have seen pics of copper that looked like gold. I'll check out Brett's website....

Mark
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
...they are not listed on the website yet.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Brett Sherwood
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Brett Sherwood
I thank Mobious303 for inserting some photo links of his new deluxe balls. Yes, my new Deluxe Jade Green/Gold balls have finally arrived. I had two big disappointments getting these finished. The first finished supply was stolen in transit, then the second shipment was crocheted with a faded thread, so I had to send them all back to have all the thread cut off and reapplied. Unfortunately, these two delays took about six months to rectify, because of the intensive labor time involved between finished orders.
Anyway, please see my links below for some accurate color imagining of the detail of these balls with one of my copper cups. You will also find two pictures of the matching green load balls for your interest.

http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic?id=d01......p;size=l

My deluxe balls may appear similar to other crochet balls, but they are not the same as any cork centered balls. The best part is their weight. They have a heavy solid rubber center. If you are interested in the specifics, please visit http://www.SherwoodMagic.com and click on the Deluxe Ball Button for all the details about why these balls are so popular.
In answer to Chessmann - yes, these new balls are available, but will not be listed on my website until I get a chance for a major website revision - sometime in the near future. At this time I hope to add video and my long over due wands, together with a possible C&B DVD on my site. The reason for this long delay is our current house move (in progress as I write this note).

Regarding the initial question of this thread regarding copper; of the smooth cups I personally prefer the rich color of copper. It has a warmth about it where other lighter metals seem colder in comparison. Copper is an instantly recognizable metal, which may also suggest a psychological innocence (i.e., copper is non magnetic and therefore possibly suggests less suspicion should a combo be used). Furthermore copperware possibly suggests a more ancient earthy natural quality?
Copper has increased in price recently, as has silver, but I intend to continue manufacturing cups in copper and silver as long as there is an interest.
Thanks
Brett Sherwood
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Brett, those balls look sharp!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
They are striking ...and audience member of mine recently said.
They handle well like the cups.
Go order a set Frank....you won't be disappointed.
Mobius
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
Are those balls easy to grip? because that material tends to be slipery most of the time.

thanks.

Mano.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
I have absolutly no problem with them.
I have been working with Sherwoods for well over a year.
They grip fine. They are larger than most balls on the market and that helps a little.
Finger palm ..no problem
Classic palm took a small bit to get used to but I rarely if ever classic palm in any of my routines with the Cups.
Pinch palm ...no problem at all
Thumb palm...no problem
Later,
Mobius
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
I haven't noticed the balls being hard to grip at all....

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
Brett Sherwood
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Brett Sherwood
Thanks for the kind remark Frank.
Here are some photo links of one of my deluxe balls palmed. Look close and you can see the crochet work with metallic thread dotted throughout. Photos actually cannot capture the subtle glimmer of the thread work, they are very elegant. At least you can see them in a classic palm. Personally I do not use a classic palm in my current C&B routine, but I used it before in my first routine, but the balls were smaller (they were 7/8") and therefore harder to classic palm deceptively without a cramped hand appearance. My photos show one of my Deluxe Jade Green/Gold Balls palmed which is 1&1/8".

http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic?id=07b......p;size=l

http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic?id=07b......p;size=l

Brett Sherwood
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I like the red metallic ones.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I reviewed these balls in the review section of the Café.

The balls are the best I have ever used. They look great, have good heft, they are easy to palm, and for me, one of the most important factors is that they are virtually silent when struck against a cup. I often load a ball from classic palm when I bring my hand over a mouth-up cup, dropping it in. These were the answer for me.

Get them. I truly believe you will find them well worth it.

Mark
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
I couldn't find your review Chessman ...can you post a link to it???
Mobius
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Copper cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL