The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Getting more people to your IBM meetings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2329 Posts

Profile of magicmind
I see as time goes on, the older guys in my area (retired) come to one meeting a year. In order to boost interest in magic and our club has anyone tried this idea?

Put an add in the paper (free) and pose the question....interested in DAVID BLAINE or magic as a hobby? etc.....

What are your thoughts? Any ideas for a club that emails about 35 newsletters a month, to get more than 6 people to show up?
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hmmm...worth a shot. Since it's a FREE ad, the price is right.

I don't think it can hurt and you might just find some new members. You may find that some of the people who respond are more interested in "seeing the show" than in actually learning magic. That part is easy enough to handle.

Give it a try and let us know how things turn out. I'd be interested in hearing about your results.

Mark. Smile
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Palm Bay, FL
382 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Good Question......

As a past Ring president & a TVP I found the best attraction to increasing your attendence from old members is a "Free Magic Lecture." The question is..... can the Ring afford to pay someone and not charge it's members or can you find someone who will present the lecture for free.

I might suggest you ask around. You may find someone who has some real talent or has lectured in the past and they are looking for someplace where they can try out a new magic lecture. I know from experience that your first few lectures don't go as smoothly until you have at least tried them out on a live group.

You may also try throwing a members party/show for the Ring and personally invite some of the members who don't come to perform at least one trick as part of the show.

If your members are not attending then this should tell you something. Get your members involved. The old timers want to feel special. Some of them like holding titles, "Ring Greeter" "Show Emcee" "Magic Teacher" or "Historian." Give them some authority and a job to do and watch what happens.

"Ring Greeter" job is to make sure everyone knows how to get to the meetings, where to park, signage to the meeting room. He shakes everyone's hand to say "hello." Conducts the meetings 50/50 raffle.

"Show Emcee" call all the names of those who brought something to perform, puts together the line up. Introduces each act.

"Magic Teacher" He is responsible to teach one trick at every meeting or assign someone else to do the same.

"Historian" keeps historical records, collects promotional material of from the members, clips newspaper articles, gives a 10 minute report on someone in the history of magic either locally or nationally at every meeting.

These are just a few ideas to give others and keep them active in the Ring. If they stay active they will attend the meetings. Encourage everyone to perform a trick at every meeting.

Go back and find an old copy of the Linking Ring and read the RING reports and figure out what they did 20 years ago. Find out what kept them interested.

Food is a hassle but food is a always a drawing card of many. People still have to eat. So you may consider moving your meeting to a place that provides food or have the members do monthly pitch in.

Steve Hart
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
653 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Food is a great incentive but as Steve said it can be expensive. In our ring many of the members come directly from work. We have our meeting in a hotel that has a resteraunt (this was not an accident) We worked out a deal with the hotel that if our members ate dinner, the hotel would let us use a meeting room for free. then we worked out a buffet line with the resteraunt so the meals could be had at a low cost. There is also a bar where those who don't eat gather before and after the meeting for Jamb sessions.
It takes some work on the part of the officers, but figuring out what will draw the membership can boost your membership attendance.
We just had our annual kids night where we invited kids from the public to join us for a free show. We got some our best new and oldtime performers to perform. we had attendance that night of over 70 (counted em myself) many of the kids were guest of the hotel who had a sudden chance to do something safe in the middle of the week in downtown DC. The hotel loved it because we entertained its guests for Free. We also had quite a few oldtimers who brought kids to see the show. some of whom I hadn't seen in a over year.
Mike Taggert VP ring 50 Wasington DC
btw be on the look out for magi-whirl DC 2007 coming this April
Believe you then that I do strange things
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2329 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Thanks for the ideas....mainly I was interested in getting new people as well, but have not seen many ideas on getting the "new guys". The "free lecture/show" ideas I understand your point. But what about attracting new members?
evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
We're thinking about this as well in Atlanta, GA. The IBM probably has members in your area that have never joined your ring. Your TVP can request a list of these members for you. Those folks are all prime candidates!

Have something planned though - we hope to contact as many IBM members who aren't ring members as possible, but we have a club show coming up and we might also use some of the ideas in this thread. That gives us something "special" in the mailing to encourage them to come out to a local event.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
We are a new Ring, and don't have enough funds to pay lecturers. We have started to have teaching tables before the meetings. We started our last meeting with a teaching table on prop construction. Several members brought their best homemade magic, and it was a meeting that I'll never forget. See the photos with our Ring report:

http://www.ibmring362.org/reports/RR008.html

My lecture notes are here:

http://www.ibmring362.org/reports/TT001.html

Doesn't that look like a meeting you'd be sorry to have missed?

Yours,

Paul
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Palm Bay, FL
382 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Wow Paul,

I am so impressed with the creativity shown from you the others in your new Ring.

The photo and your notes express your clever thinking. If I live near you I would be attending the meeting just to see what you came up with next.

I think creativity is so important if you are going to work as a magician.

It is also a important ingredient for making a Ring Meeting fun and interesting.

Steve Hart
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
653 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Paul I would also suggest that Every time your group performs In public that you have membership information there. and BTW watch out for steel traps!
Mike
Believe you then that I do strange things
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
778 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
I personally would like to thank the IBM for everything they have done for me.
Thank You.
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Mike,

Our new Ring has already recruited two new members at public performances. We got one new member at The Perilous Garden (nothing like animal traps to create interest), and another new member at the final summer performance of Miller & Wilson's Theater of Marvels. Our Ring President, Alan Drew, happened to be there that night, so a guy who is interested in card tricks got to meet three Ring officers.

Yours,

Paul
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
How to Help Your Club Grow:

1) Look forward to attending every meeting.
2) Take an active & positive role at each meeting.
3) Serve in a position of leadership or committee service.
4) Support those appointed to leadership or committee positions.
5) Actively participate in meeting discussions & activities.
6) Promote and attend extra club events and functions.
7) Promote the business sessions. Even volunteer associations require certain procedures.
8) Speak your mind directly and honestly when an issus is being discussed, but once that issue is decided by the majority, support the outcome for the benefit of the club.
9) Consistently pay your dues ahead of schedue and with a smile.
10) Avoid the use of two words in all conversations related to the club: "Them" and "Clique"

How to Thoroughly and Completely Destroy your Club:

1) Avoid every meeting because you have better things to do.
2) Find fault with everything when you do attend a meeting.
3) Decline every request to serve the club because you're "too busy."
4) If you accept an appointment, give the duties a low priority because "it's only club business."
5) Hold a grudge if you're defeated in an election or overlooked for an appointment.
6) Wait until after the meeting to express your opinion on how things "should be run."
7) Openly complain about the time wasted in boring business meetings.
8) Openly complain about the "idiots" who can't see the truth when your ideas are turned down by the majority.
9) Do all you can to ignore or sabotage passed projects or policies that you disagree with.
10) Blame all of the club's problems on "them" and the "cliques."
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1035 Posts

Profile of bsears
It seems to me that a bigger concern is attracting GOOD members. By that I mean members who have more than just a passing interest in magic who will stay for many years and contribute to the club in a positive manner.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2329 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On 2006-09-05 16:56, bsears wrote:
It seems to me that a bigger concern is attracting GOOD members. By that I mean members who have more than just a passing interest in magic who will stay for many years and contribute to the club in a positive manner.

Wait...you cannot leave with a comment like that...what would you do to attract "Good" members?
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I think that the best strategy is to convert every member into a good member. Give members responsibilities, ask them what they want out of the Ring, let them do what they are best at, then tell everyone that they did a good job. Any member who has a clear idea of what they want out of the Ring, who is given an opportunity to get that with some effort on their part, will be a good member.

What might people want out of the Ring?

1) A chance to perform publicly in group shows.
2) A chance to perform their best magic in contests, and to win trophies.
3) A chance to learn magic from people who know more than they do.
4) A chance to teach magic to eager students.
5) A chance to collaborate on prop fabrication, or performances that require multiple actors for a single effect.
6) A chance to hold Ring office.
7) A chance to edit newsletters and create websites with interesting content.
8) A chance to develop new effects and presentations as a response to meeting themes.

There are many more things that members might want out of a Ring. As long as the leadership doesn't get in the way of people with good ideas and energy, every member can get out of the Ring what they put into it.

Yours,

Paul
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Great post, Paul and on target. My sole contention is with the contest idea. I personally have a very sincere dislike for competitions.

First, there's the cost: Trophies are trinkets that reduce the treasury for the recognition of a select group of individuals above the rest. These funds are better used to serve the club as a whole through better lectures, a professional website & newsletter, sponsored field trips to shows, funding public club showcases and so on.

Second: Competitions are very subjective in that even the most honest and supportive judge is going to have inner, almost subconscious prejudices for or against a certain style, act, routine or performer. All too often the most gifted, original and talented performers are overlooked because they triggered one of these prejudices. I've seen gifted performers crushed to the point of giving up on a club or conference because they lost a competition for some totally insignificant reason.

I prefer a performance workshop to competitions: Performers present their material to the group in a non-threatening, non-judgmental, low-stress environment and are given supportive, objective and constructive advice on style, routine and performance. The performer is then free to accept, adapt or ignore the advice offered. Every performer walks away with something far more important and lasting than a trophy or plaque. They develop confidence and awareness of themselves, their act and their peers.

This is what I find so incredibly desirable about KIDabra. No competitions. No egos. Every conference and every chapter meeting is about pro's actively helping one another improve and grow rather than passively watching the Stuarts of the magic world strutting around shouting "Look what I can do."

This is just my opinion - for what it's worth. Otherwise, we agree completely. Good advice!

:) Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1035 Posts

Profile of bsears
Great discussion.

IMO, attracting GOOD members is as simple as finding people who have a SINCERE interest in magic and then offering them benefits that make it worthwile to join and stay. Specifically, you find these people at magic shops and other magic-realted events (not in the newspaper). Benefits to joining (and staying) would include the LInking Ring, high-quality lectures, health insurance, liability insurance, a library, and a supportive environment to learn and grow among like-minded peers.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Dear Skip,

I have seen much damage caused by contests, it's true. Our sole contest so far had highly restrictive rules (it was a card challenge), and it was judged by members. Everybody liked it. I have also participated in stage magic contests with a large lay audience that were judged by audience applause. Those are good too.

The contests I've seen at the conventions remind me of Olympic figure skating competitions, with points for this, points for that, and multipliers for different categories. This allows judges to pick the contestants that they like while preserving the illusion that the judging is objective. Still, many of our members like these contests also, especially if they win them.

With respect to trophies, our Ring's Policy and Program Manual states that any prizes of tangible value must be funded from endowments, not the Ring's general fund, so if people want trophies and plaques they have to make special donations to make it possible.

Most of our meetings have a bit of performance workshop quality to them. Anyone can ask what other members thought of their work, either in front of everyone, or more commonly, one-on-one.

Yours,

Paul
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Thanks, Doc! Fair points!

:) Skip

magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2329 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Very good responses here...thanks again
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Getting more people to your IBM meetings (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.72 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL