The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Is it possible? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Jon Dee
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Jon Dee
I recently saw a hypnotist that just blew my mind. It was the first one I had ever seen that actually got people under (I have seen two others that were just a joke). I saw this guy two nights in a row and on both nights one of the first bits he did was make a guy have to go to the bathroom when he says a certain word. He then said it over and over in his conversation with other people. This was hilarious to watch the reaction of these guys but I was really scared he was going to just let it go right there on the stage. Is that possible, if so I would be really scared to perform that bit.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Proof of Darow's First Law - "Common Sense Ain't! If It Was, We'd See A LOT MORE OF IT!"

This routine, thought funny by some, and, in a sense, it might be, is embarrassing in the extreme to the victim and, on at least four occasions that I am aware of, has led to someone wetting themselves or exposing themselves on stage.

Does this sound like a good idea to anyone, given the risk factor?

Lee Darrow, C.H.
Insructor of the FIRST Safety for Stage Hypnotists Class, Ever Taught
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
dehypno
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of dehypno
I know this is an old category, but I really need to figure out why someone would think that this one is embarrassing. Now if someone actually did wet themselves I could see it, but embarrassing to the extreme by doing it to start with? I hardly think so. I do this one occasionally and the success, as with any routine, is in the wording. For example, I will add something along the lines of "you won't actually go, but you'll really feel the need to and start heading that way until you take five steps...or some similar line."

Any one of these "embarrassing" situations can, and should, be dealt with way ahead of time. I will tell large crowds that if they are easily offended to perhaps not participate or even watch. Basically, if not in those words, I cover myself ahead of time.
briandavidphillips
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of briandavidphillips
I think it depends upon the context. This might not be particularly embarrassing in an adult venue after hours but at a church lady dinner it might be embarrassing to some. I have done it at private parties with friends but probably would not do it for a crowd that's not adult and laid back. If you do this gag then you MUST manage your volunteers and you MUST ensure that the person is not in pain or genuine discomfort (some folks to experience a great deal of distress and Lee is absolutely correct that there are plenty of cases of folks who have wet themselves and those who have just whipped out Mr. Happy Pants and watered the curtains). Of course, if you are careful and manage both the suggestions and your volunteers this would not be an issue . . . but . . . some folks are less than careful about such things and other times things slip by that the hypnotist would otherwise have watched for.

All the best,
Brian
Hypnosis DVD Courses
http://www.briandavidphillips.com

Brian David Phillips brian@briandavidphillips.com
Hypnotist, Trance Wizard, Intuitionist
Keelung, Taiwan
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I have a demo dvd in my possession of a colleague (who I will not name). I saw it a couple of days ago for the first time and it, rather than not being funny, actually made me angry. At best I'd say he simply wasn't what you would call classy. At worst? Well, first of all you have to remember that during his pre-talk he stated: "...and remember, anyone who comes up here tonight will be treated with the utmost respect, I'll take good care of you, don't worry."
Then, when he got his victims (because that's what they were)under, using the vilest of language, he crudely told a beautiful young girl that when he made a rasping noise she would belive she had had a bowel movement (remember he put it very VERY crudely). Well it was simply horrendous. Apart from a couple drunks giggling you can feel the audiences embarrassment on the film. No doubt this guy gets pub work at a hundred quid a go, But I could easily tell him, and I will, why it never gets any better for him. And yet this is on his PROMOTIONAL dvd!!!!!!!

bobser
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
dehypno
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of dehypno
Naturally each crowd is different. I guess I find it tough to believe that someone would not enough variety and material in ones repetoire to avoid doing something that should clearly not be done in a church lady group.

I find it interesting to read through this whole board (over the last few days) and see different performers opinions on what other performers should or should not do and what is offensive to some and not to others.

I'll do whatever I think will get laughs but MOST importantly I will do so knowing that I want to get MORE shows and not less. So that doesn't mean that I will ask people to do things that will somehow jeopardize my career.

I would think that it would go without saying...I find it hard to believe that it does need to be said that way
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
I wouldn't do that routine EVER. You never know the medical history of the person you have hypnotized. They could have a weak bladder, a urinary infection that might cause pain... they could have to have dialysis for all you know.

Not to mention it would be extremely embaressing for the person. So if that person gets angry and he and his 9 friends don't come again... that's 60 prospects you just lost (statistically, a happy person tells 5 people... an unhappy person tells 10)....

Not to mention, you just lost some BOR, since who wants to buy a tape of them wetting themselves.

Maybe it was the way I was trained, but I believe you need to treat your subjects with respect.... regardless of the venue.
dehypno
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of dehypno
Nonsense.

No one said that we wanted the people to ACTUALLY wet themselves...thats ridiculous. Its bringing on an "imaginary" feeling...because that is what we do.

If a person really feels like something they are asked to do is embarrassing, they won't do it. They might lie and say later that they are embarrassed, but they won't do it.

Perfect example...
One of my very first shows ever. I am doing an adult party and do "exotic dance auditions? (clothes on of course).

The girl who does the best job later says when she wakes up and mingles that she was very embarrassed about doing that routine. I was distraught...I clearly didn't want to do embarrass someone.

I find out a week later that as a part-time "profession" she was an actual exotic dancer. So her embarrassment was feigned at the time of the show.

In that same week, or month..whatever, it was a long time ago. I have two kids standing up and telling martian jokes in their best martian language. I switched from there to display of martian dancing. One of the kids visually snaps right out of it, looks at me and says, "I ain't doin that. I don't dance" and walks off in to the crowd...as his friend is boogying away in what can only be described as a version of dance from the movie Gremlins.
briandavidphillips
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of briandavidphillips
Quote:
On 2008-12-11 19:23, dehypno wrote:
Nonsense.

No one said that we wanted the people to ACTUALLY wet themselves...thats ridiculous. Its bringing on an "imaginary" feeling...because that is what we do.

The original poster asked:

Quote:
This was hilarious to watch the reaction of these guys but I was really scared he was going to just let it go right there on the stage. Is that possible, if so I would be really scared to perform that bit.

The answer to that question is "yes" it is possible for someone to take the suggestion and feel an actual need to use the toilet and there are plenty of examples of hypnotists who did not manage the volunteers and gag well enough so that folks have wet themselves and even some who have dropped trow and watered the curtains.

Quote:
If a person really feels like something they are asked to do is embarrassing, they won't do it. They might lie and say later that they are embarrassed, but they won't do it.

Usually, yes. However, there is buyer's remorse in some instances.

I once did the bit where you start with the neighbor smelling bad so they try to get away and then the neighbor smells real good and they want to get near closer to the wonderful smell gag and a couple girls who did not know one another got very close and then started making out on stage (this was a general audience show so I stopped the bit). After the show, one of the girls was a bit embarrassed when folks told her what she had done (she had spontaneous deep trance amnesia for the show). Buyer's remorse as she was the one who instigated the behavior and it was not part of the suggestion proper but an unconscious projective continuation.

All the best,
Brian
Hypnosis DVD Courses

Brian David Phillips brian@briandavidphillips.com
Hypnotist, Trance Wizard, Intuitionist
Keelung, Taiwan
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I do remember in the 70's one such person taking the suggestion and having a 'movement'. I was sat right at the front and it was fairly obvious through one of my senses that it had taken pace. And no it wasn't my sight. No not hearing. Obviously not taste and I swear I didn't have to touch them to tell either.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you can remember the 70's, you weren't really there.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
... isn't that what they said about the fifties?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Was there PCP in the 50's?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
dehypno
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of dehypno
"wonderful smell gag and a couple girls who did not know one another got very close and then started making out on stage (this was a general audience show so I stopped the bit)."

Do you have this on tape? (selling it by any chance?)

No matter...that was clearly not your doing and I seriously doubt that they were "truly" embarrassed deep down.
Jon Dee
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Jon Dee
UPDATE:
I am glad somebody bumped this post. Now that I have some good experience under my belt it is clear. . . I WOULD NEVER DO THIS SKIT! It was very funny but there is plenty of safe stuff that is very funny as well.

Jon Dee
dehypno
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of dehypno
I did this skit this afternoon in a room where my presence was a surprise and no one originally wanted to volunteer when asked...zero hands went up (I ask this right away to get a grip on what kind of audience I have so I know how much work to do.)

20 minutes later half of my group of 14 are doing this exact same thing (thinking they have to poop) and what do you know? No one actually pooped and it was the third funniest thing to happen.

Pooping, or thinking that one might have to poop, is not dangerous. Standing on someone who thinks they are a board is dangerous. Having someone believe they are an actual bird that can fly is dangerous. Talking about poop is fun and its funny. Maybe I am the only one in the world that can pull this off, but I doubt it. It could, perhaps, take some talent to keep it funny and non-offensive.

Maybe I should give myself more credit than I do.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Quote:
On 2008-12-15 17:33, dehypno wrote:
20 minutes later half of my group of 14 are doing this exact same thing (thinking they have to poop)...

Now THAT got me cringing!!! Hopefully not 14 year olds???

Quote:
Pooping, or thinking that one might have to poop, is not dangerous....

More cringing!!!

Quote:
It could, perhaps, take some talent to keep it funny and non-offensive.

You think?

Quote:
Maybe I should give myself more credit than I do.

Naw, I think you're doing ok... honest.
dehypno
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of dehypno
"Now THAT got me cringing!!!"

It'll be ok...its just comedy

"More cringing!!!"

No worry, just more comedy

"You think?"

I know

"No, I think you're doing ok... honest."

And I just soooooo glad that you think so....honest
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Diction diction diction
Jon Dee
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Jon Dee
Good luck with those high paying corp gigs dehypno, I hear they love the pooping skit.

Jon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Is it possible? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL