The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Permit in new york city? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TKE
View Profile
Veteran user
FL
346 Posts

Profile of TKE
I'm interesting in doing some busking in new york city. Ive gotten crowds before and have been warned by the police that I cant do that. I also cant charge money.

They said I would need a permit. Ive called information (311) to try and find out how to get one but I keep getting told to call different #s.

anyone know anything?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
http://www.ask.com and you shall receive.

Well, I don't know if this has been posted. (Not a lot is said about NYC in particular, but it's good reading anyway.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busking

Here's a rather depressing post;

http://www.balloonhq.com/twistmail/upto12Dec96/mail.a004bZ

the ninth post on this page is specifically about NYC.

http://buskers.tribe.net/thread/04d6f0b5......391a5171
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I guess I killed another thread.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
I was recently in the Big Apple with the idea in mind of working there. Due to circumstances, I was only able to stay a couple of days. The first day I spent looking over the city, scouting out pitches and sightseeing. The second day I performed twice.

There are many obstacles to be overcome when working there, the least of which is a permit.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Where did you perform? I miss New York.
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Yeah, New York is awesome. I can easily see why so many people regard it as the greatest city in the world.

I arrived too late for a Sunday, about one pushing two in the afternoon I think, but I wanted to check out Central Park. I ended up performing near the Zoo on the north entrance (?). There was a juggler nearby who wasn't getting much of a crowd, but then neither did I. I performed just one show there for about 25 adults and their children. Then I went to check out some other legendary "spots" and decided to try Washington Square Park. There I performed a show directly in front of the Arch for about 35-40 people. Afterwards I was approached by another performer who said that nobody performed in front of the arches anymore. That was hard for me to understand, such a nice spot.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-09-13 22:10, Eric Evans wrote:
Yeah, New York is awesome. I can easily see why so many people regard it as the greatest city in the world.

I arrived too late for a Sunday, about one pushing two in the afternoon I think, but I wanted to check out Central Park. I ended up performing near the Zoo on the north entrance (?). There was a juggler nearby who wasn't getting much of a crowd, but then neither did I. I performed just one show there for about 25 adults and their children. Then I went to check out some other legendary "spots" and decided to try Washington Square Park. There I performed a show directly in front of the Arch for about 35-40 people. Afterwards I was approached by another performer who said that nobody performed in front of the arches anymore. That was hard for me to understand, such a nice spot.

Did you ask why?

I remember there's a bandshell near the foundtain. Next to the bandshell is a walkway which I always considered "busker's row" as you'd find all sorts of buskers there.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Permit in new york city? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL