The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2002 entrée: Banachek » » Marketing... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

espmagic
View Profile
Special user
971 Posts

Profile of espmagic
As a fan of yours from the Wells' audio tapes to the new video, I have always wondered...how does one actually market the mind-bending show? Short of using agents (which may be different here in Canada - they just sit and wait for the phone to ring!), can you offer any insights on how to make the first steps to getting into the marketplace with a specifically mental show/routine?
Lamberto
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
99 Posts

Profile of Lamberto
Hi Steve (Banachek),

I've also got a question about the same topic.

How or what did you do to promote your show to a college? Now you have a BIG name so that's probally not in question anymore. But when you started (years ago) what was your marketing/selling point?

Thanks in advance.
Bert (Holland)
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1079 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Okay, this is not so easy to answer because it differs depending on your situation and the market you are in. If you do a search here on agents you will see how I answer part of the question if you are a beginner.

My situation in the college market is such that I found a great agent. So I guess in this situation it was the fact I was performing close up mentalism in the booth and others were talking about me all over the convention.

Seriously though, the best form of marketing is one on one, as said in the post I mentioned take local agents to lunch, do a few things for them. If you cannot afford lunch, go by their office; take your videos and promo booklet there. Do a few things and leave a lasting impression that they can talk about since they have first hand experience with you. They will be more enthused about selling you if they can speak from personal experience.

The best form of advertising is you yourself. So go to the local entertainment trade shows. Ask your local agent if they have an agent?s dinner during the year for local agents. If so, offer to perform for free.

Work the local restaurants for tips if you have to. You will meet a lot of corporate people who will be quite interested in booking you if you are good. Again, for me one on one has always sold.

If you can not make it one on one, put a killer video tape that together that makes you stand out, or makes them want to see more, not because their is not enough on the tape, but because they are interested. I have always hated tapes for our profession due to the fact that it is so hard to get what we do over to them in a 10-minute tape, and the tape seems to lose something in showmanship.

I hope this answers a few of the questions, but his is a topic that would take up an entire book. I remember once I something about getting booked in trade shows. That alone is a subject in itself.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2002 entrée: Banachek » » Marketing... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL