The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Patching a Passport into a theatre's system (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sammy
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Sammy
Hi Y'all,

I am considering patching my Passport PD-250 into a theatre's XRL mic patch for a show next month. I would send a line from the speaker out jack from my 250 and use a 1/4 RCA to XLR jack to patch it into the theatre's system. I would have the amp/mixer unit just offstage in the wings to pickup my wireless mic signal (as the theatre does not have wireless). As well, I was considering playing the music from my Passport. Has anyone tried a similar setup? If so, how did the setup sound in the sound system you were using? Was the wireless signal strong in a such large space? Would it sound better if I ran the line from the stereo output instead of the speaker output? All feedback (pun not intended) is appreciated!

Sammy
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
I do this all the time. Do not use the Speaker Out. It is the wrong impedance and power level.
Use the LINE OUT and a line to XLR converter (Direct Box). Often in theaters you will also find line IN RCA jacks on the wall panel so nothing else is needed but long patch cables.

I assume you are speaking of the Built In wireless module of a PD-250. YES it will work fine. I have yet to experience any dropouts or distance issues.

I suggest still using the Passport speakers and using the Passport Mixer and house system to augment rather than replace.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
Sammy
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Sammy
Hi Walter,

Thanks for the input (again, pun not intended)! I will be using the Executive system mic - so that sounds good. On the Passport, what is the line you are referring to labeled as? Just so I know the exact output you're talking about (there are so many I do not use!). So I run a 1/4 RCA from this output into a DI box and an XLR line from the DI box into the mic patch. Got it. Thanks!

Sammy
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1903 Posts

Profile of chmara
1. Go to Radio Shack
2. Get jumpers and converters from Canon, 1/4, RCA, etc. in sufficent quantity to get from one to another at both ends of your cables as house systems are not consistent -- and use line out as above.

I also recommend carrying a cable (copnnector) tester with youto trouble shoot -- and you will eventually need it to find which cable/connector has gone buggy.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Adaptors from Radio Shack may work, but if you're plugged into two different AC outlets, or have any improperly terminated shields, you'll wish you had the DI.
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Folks,

Another solution is to buy your own small mixer, I personally use a StudioMaster C3X,I have it rack mounted in a ATA case thing with my wireless mic receiver and laptop on top, and all the audio cables plugged into it and the power adapters already plugged into a power strip. Saves me some time setting the sound system up.

I actually just run 2 RCA cables to my Passport 250, DJ equipment or house system, I actually show up to some shows and tell the DJ or sound guy, "Hey plug this RCA cables in".

Others companies sell more afforable systems, like Behringer (mispelled).

Just an idea.

G0THIKE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Patching a Passport into a theatre's system (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL