The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » New Chop Cup (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2653 Posts

Profile of Tom G
After a lot of searching for a new cup, I called Jake at RnT2. I knew I didn't want a $20 aluminum or copper model, and he made a few suggestions. I ended up getting the copper cup from his SBL line. It's made with two disks of copper making it a solid, heavy cup. It was beautiful. I had a concern about how much grab the ball had. It took a decent thump to dislodge. Well, he told me I could adjust the grab on the ball. Never imagined an adjustable chop cup ball. Spent a few minutes with it to get the comfortable amount of grab, and totally pleased. Great product and service from Jake.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1796 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I too recently learned from Jake about the balls he (RNTII) makes being adjustable.

This made a big difference as the ball from the Foxy II combo set I have held just a bit too much.

Now it works perfectly. Thanks Jake!
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2125 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Thank you gentlemen, always appreciate your kind words.

Jake
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
Alright,

From what I've been hearing RNT2 is the place to buy cups and balls. I want a killer set of cups and a nice set of balls. I want the cups to be pretty big, like Ammar's in his cups and balls videos. I want a heavy cup probably copper or brass. A set that I could add an identical chop cut to, or a combo set from the begining. WHat's the deal guys.. I'll spend around $200 for the right set

Stevie D
-Stevie D
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
You may need to spend more than that.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
The cheapest of the "relatively good cups" is probably Johnson Products. You can buy the three cup set for around $200 and you can add a matching Chop Cup for another $75-$100.

Zauberladen carries the Cellini cups and I think they have an insert that can convert Cellini's into Chop Cups. That too will run over the $200 mark.

Those are really the only two "off the shelf" combo products besides the much cheaper/lighter Morrissey combo set. After that, the sky's the limit if you can find someone to adapt their cups for you. I would have suggested Riser, Gary Animal, people like that who make cups, but I don't think either of them are currently producing. RnT2 seems to be the top right now for bringing out new products. Chris Reesman of Encore Magic (maker of the new Ammar cups) might be able to work up something, but any time you work on a "one off" custom job, it'll cost you.

Unless you're creating your own routine from scratch, there are only a few out there that use combo sets. Gazzo does his routine and as a magician you'd swear some of his moves could only be done with chop cups. It's all Gazzo, no gimmicks.

I'm more inclined to just do cups as cups and reserve the chop cup as a separate routine with a different looking cup.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You can keep an eye out for bargains on ebay. The Charlie Miller cups would be fine. That's the kind John Carney uses.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
There are all sorts of bargains to be had in that price range. Unfortunately, not many of them (if any)come as combo sets.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Actually, on ebay you can often get the johnson products cups for around $150 if you're patient.

They are very high quality cups. I should not have sold mine but I did.
They hold a lacrosse ball.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1301 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
DX it sounds like your really looking for the sherwoods.
The copper and brass cups are well weighted and will take a tennis ball sized load. The balls he offers are top notch as well. Save your money for a little bit longer and you won't be disappointed.
I liked the Johnson's until I got my Sherwoods and used Original R-n-T before that.
The new R-n-T 2 seem to be quite nice as well and they have a great variety of cups from whih to choose from.
My Riser Jumbo cups are also top notch and I wanted a cup for years that would take a Baseball. E-mail Jim for details as to availability of his cups as he only makes them a few times a year in very small numbers. He is a very busy maker.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » New Chop Cup (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL