The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Medicine Pitch Acts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DonB!
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
128 Posts

Profile of DonB!
Hey folks,

I plan on adding a medicine pitch to the western portion of my comedy show soon, and I need some suggestions.

I love the old medicine pitch, and I have also seen some very funny medicine pitches.

I am simply asking for your advice of where to start putting material together from. I have a few smaller booklets, as well as a couple of historical references, but I NEED MORE! Smile

Any and all help will be appreciated.

DonB!
DonB!
Non-stop laughter. Eternal Impact.
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
For magic the old "Tommy Windsor Medicine Show Tonight" from the 1950's or before is probably the standard. Not sure if you can still get it. I have a copy if you cannot. Mine is from the 60's, I did that act when I was in high school. And now I am 50. wow.

quack
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5264 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Allen Hayden once told me that Sid Lorraine had an unbelievable medicine pitch. I don't know if it was ever pubished, though.
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Here, from fading memory, are some bits and pieces of a very old medicine pitch. Some of it comes from a radio comedian named Ransom Sherman. Ransom incidentally (or so his mother said) was the brother of Jim Sherman, a magician and owner of the long gone National Magic Company.

"And now, ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to take a few minutes to talk to you about Snorzmorbles' mixture of Maldren. Snorzmorbles' is a pure mixture, containing absolutely no ingredients. Very few statements can make that claim.

Snorzmorbles' mixture of Maldren comes in a nine inch bottle, can be used as a tape measure, makes a wonderful shoe dye and is good for other purposes too numerous to mention. As I hold up this bottle, you will notice that it is paper thin. In case of emergency, all you have to do is break the paper.

Snorzmorbles' mixture of Maldren will remove spots from floors, walls, ceilings and doors. In fact, it will remove floors, walls, ceilings and doors. Try it on your mother-in-law.

It is also an excellent laxative. No matter how long it's been, take one small dose and you'll find yourself heading for the little room early ... and often, too.

Snorzmorbles' mixture of Maldren will cure everything that ails you and other things as well. One of our thousands of satisfied customers had been deaf for all of her life.
In spite of this, just one day after taking a small dose of this peerless elixir, she heard from her cousin in Pittsburgh."

There was more but it's left my mind. Of course, I'm not really getting forgetful. I only marked the backs of the cards in my one way forcing deck as insurance.

I hope that some part of this material is of use to you. In any event, I am glad to be rid of it.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Magicrma
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona
101 Posts

Profile of Magicrma
It's not a medicine pitch but it is one of the best comedy routines about sampling your own product. Red Skelton's "Guzzlers Gin"
Gets me every time.

MagicRMA Smile
"The art of Illusion is at least 95% applied psychology" Henning Nelms (Magic & Showmanship)
<BR>
<BR>MagicRMA
<BR>Majicrma@msn.com
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
I did see Sid Lorraine's medicine pitch one time. It was indeed so funny that there wasn't a dry seat in the house.

The premise I remember, 'cause I got caught on it, was that he started with what seemed an irritated throat and gradually lost more of his voice as the act proceeded. Finally, when he had reached the point of scarcely being able to talk and the audience was feeling sorry for him, he took a swig of the medicine and was instantly restored.

To the best of my knowledge, the act was never published. Perhaps it doesn't matter because Sid wrote it for himself and it was in no way "actor proof."

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
I created a pitched act that I did for a number of years based on the "Tommy Windsor Medicine Show" patter using completely different tricks and routines. Several other books have been helpful. Most published by Magic Inc.
"The Great Thompson's Original Comedy Medicine Pitch"
"The Original Doc Hokum Medicine Pitch" by David B. Coleman
"The Tie Pitch" Tom Palmer

Tommy Windsor also include "The Popcorn Pitch" in his book "Dye Box Book"

A fascinating book is "20 years a Faker" by S. James Weldon (GBS press)

I didn't see Sid's routine, but I remember hearing about it. It seems I saw pictures of it...maybe in the old "TOPS" magazine...anyway, he was always a favorite of mine..I was just a young boy when I met him and he was quite encouraging.
billswondershow.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5264 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2002-12-21 19:02, Sid Mayer wrote:
I did see Sid Lorraine's medicine pitch one time. It was indeed so funny that there wasn't a dry seat in the house.

The premise I remember, 'cause I got caught on it, was that he started with what seemed an irritated throat and gradually lost more of his voice as the act proceeded. Finally, when he had reached the point of scarcely being able to talk and the audience was feeling sorry for him, he took a swig of the medicine and was instantly restored.

To the best of my knowledge, the act was never published. Perhaps it doesn't matter because Sid wrote it for himself and it was in no way "actor proof."

Sid

Sid, that's the exact routine that Allen Hayden related to me. He told me that it brought the house down. Funny how magic can be created through nothing but a superb acting job. If that's not a lesson in the importance of presentation, I don't know what is.
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
515 Posts

Profile of spatrick
Lou Zocchi, who is a fantasy games dealer in Gulfport Mississippi has about the funniest "Pitch" routine I have ever seen. He took bits and pieces from all those mentioned and put in his own flavor. He goes all out for the routine and even dresses the part. Not only does he do the pitch but he also does carnival stunts, and plays the saw.

The funniest line from the pitch is when he is walking out in the crowd looking for a volunteer he says "oops, sorry for knocking over your whiskey bottle lady!" Truly classic comedy!
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
I just remembered Doc Wayne marketed an "Old Time Medicine Show Pitch" (1996) that came with a bunch of small prop signs to hold up for the audience to respond to ("Hooray!" "Oohhh-h-h nooooo" "Hot Dawg & Gosh Darn" "Yahooooo!"). I still have it, but didn't use it. Has some fun ideas.

By the way, I found of picture of Sid Lorraine presenting his pitch in a small scrap book about him published by Abbott's.
And thanks Sid Mayer for sharing your bits with us. Very enjoyable!
billswondershow.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Check out the movie, "Young Harry Houdini." I was able to grab and adapt several lines from this for my own pitch act!

Click below to view my pitch act character, "Professor Lyndel!"

Lyndel

Click here to view attached image.
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
Speaking of movies...There is a nice bit in "The Trouble With Girls" with Elvis Presley in a traveling tent show. Some character ideas there...
billswondershow.com
DonB!
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
128 Posts

Profile of DonB!
Thanks to you all for your input. It has all been very helpful, as I now go onto web auctions and try to round up some of these booklets.

DonB! Smile
DonB!
Non-stop laughter. Eternal Impact.
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations DonB,

I have at various times toyed with the idea of putting together a medicine pitch/magic at.

You may want to check out Doc Dazzal at
http://www.docdazzal.com/

Hope this helps.

Joe in KC

Live a great adventure,
choose an interesting life!
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I do a medicine show pitch. There are bits of my script scattered about on my web site:

http://www.memoryelixir.com

Check out The Show and History for bits of the script.

Yours,

Paul
MOTO42
View Profile
Loyal user
Whitehouse Texas
225 Posts

Profile of MOTO42
A semi-random line I came up with while reading this thread.
"Professor Moto's Oil of Ambrosia, the most powerful placebo on the market today."
"One man's miracle is another man's warm-up"
drjeckyll
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of drjeckyll
The bit with gradually losing your voice during the medicine pitch, then taking a slug of the stuff, ... and boom! your voice is back loud & clear is a W.C. Fields routine. It's at the very end in one of his movies.
sclitsome
View Profile
New user
Jamaica's Alright
47 Posts

Profile of sclitsome
Gene Gordon had a great magic pitch act. You can find the full script for it, along with tons of jokes in David Ginn's book "Laughter Legacy"

I got it at one of his lectures. I'ts a great book full of laughter.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Medicine Pitch Acts (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL