The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Video: Magic Castle Future Stars 2006 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ben Proudfoot
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Ben Proudfoot
Hello everybody,

You may have seen my "New York, New York" video prior to this, and I promised to follow up with a live performance thereof.

The following was taped at The Magic Castle in the first week of August during Future Stars Week where Juniors get to perform at night. I got to be one of 8 lucky Close-Up performers and the Junior Society taped our show. There are a few mishaps in this show but nothing too big.

At the end of the video, you'll notice the video goes black before the end but the audio continues. This is because I was informed that the kicker ending I was using had already been created and it is a signature effect for the originator. Independent invention is always tough when people tell you your new creation is not invention. So, for that reason, I blacked out the end due to the wishes of the originator. It didn't feel right having the video end short so I let the audio play through. I apologize in advance for how poor the lighting is, but when I tried to brighten it up it washed out.

I hope you guys enjoy watching as much as I did performing. Please click the link in my signature titled 'Future Stars 2006' for the video.

Thanks,

Ben
SOHA
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
178 Posts

Profile of SOHA
Great Job!!!!!!
Ben Proudfoot
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Ben Proudfoot
Thanks SOHA.

Ben
seidedennis
View Profile
New user
Denmark
97 Posts

Profile of seidedennis
Hi Ben,

I really enjoyed your performance - not only the coin routine, but all of it! I'm actualy quite surprised that my computer-keyboard is still working, considering the beating I just gave it as the result of my frustration from not getting to see the end of your cups and balls routine ;-)

/dennis
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Wow. It was VERY good. I liked how you connected with your audience and your humor. It was very enjoyable to watch you work.
Jonathan Kelly
View Profile
Regular user
Waterford, Ireland
156 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Kelly
Excellent work my friend. Not only did your performance look polished but you interacted with the crowd superbly. Well done!
"But where did the lighter fluid come from?"
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1276 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Great job Ben. Thanks for posting!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27066 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Smile Excellent!

Have you considered the passé-passé bottles trick?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
camador
View Profile
Regular user
Salamanca
170 Posts

Profile of camador
Yes, I enjoyed it Ben, Great work!

Regards
Redhead
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Redhead
What was the ending to Cups and balls?
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8565 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Loved it, Ben. Smile For 15, you're well ahead of the curve in the bringing together of all the many elements that make up not only a great routine, but a very special magician. Stick to "Your" road son, as it is seemingly leading you early-on to some very special places. Smile Good work! -MB
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Spanky
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City
81 Posts

Profile of Spanky
That was pretty excellent, I loved it.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Good job, Ben. Keep up the good work.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Good job. Thing that I really bugs me was after you produced the bottle of coke and after the wows you try to draw more applause. This is one of those things that a lot of magicians do but personally I don't like and I think it creates a bit of tension.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Ben Proudfoot
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Ben Proudfoot
Jeremy,

I agree with your post to some extent, but I also believe that the idea of training the full audience to applaud together at a very early point in the show is important. If you watch the video again, the audience "Woo's!" but nobody claps. I like to add that 'auplause cue stance' in there so that they know it's OK to applaud and learn the rhythm of my performance. I believe it also helps to establish my character early. I agree that you should never directly ask for applause, but if you train your audience to respond to your body language early, that will carry you well throughout the show.

Ben
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Worse is when magicians crack a lame joke and then tell the audience to laugh.

Re applause: does it work just to have one or two friends in the audience who can kick-start the clapping?
Jolyon Jenkins
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8565 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Bill Malone asks for applause all the time within his performances, not to mention the use of lame jokes, and it all works. I think it's all a matter of style and application. I think young Ben answered well-enough as to his presentation, especially when you know he's but 15yrs. old speaking quite intelligently with adults here, I might add. And incidentally, I don't feel at all that he is anywhere here over-matched in the discusssion, and that says a lot for the young magi. Clear sign that he's thoroughly engaged in what he's doing and thinking creatively and above all making it happen out there in grande ways. Not many 15yr. olds like this, I'd dare say. Smile Anyway, full speed ahead young Ben. Smile -MB
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Ben-
The waiting and then posing is what bugs me. I see your point, if it works for you good for you. Have you tried going directly into that position after you have produced the bottle?

As I said if it works for you then great. Good job.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1133 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Great job. I assume you are looking for some comments, so I'll offer a few. I think the hesitation at the opening effect was more from stunned silence - I see no problem in striking a pose at that moment. The coin and wand work was great - almost overshadowing the cup routine. You could almost end on this routine, since you end with a superb production striking a very well-deserved applause pose. However, I love the call-backs within the cup routine. A call-back is particularly effective in magic since it can serve to remind the audience what they just witnessed (which can be very bewildering). A little work is needed on the cup routine, but the beginning sequence through the production of the metal cups is splendid. And the cup load under the "broken" cup was deceptive at this point. You are going to the lap a lot (which I have no problem with, since I started out completely sitting for my entire close-up show) just make sure you have effective misdirection for every load or retrieval - the cup routine may need a tweek of restructuring to accomadate this. I'm being picky here, so don't take it personal. Excellent show, and you connected well with the audience. Your patter wasn't cheesy or canned, and the audience was definitely with you (which can be a problem sometimes, for younger performers). Keep it going!
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1273 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Great job Ben! I loved the changes you made. You keep getting better and better each day. It stinks that you couldn't show the ending. Just to let you know folks, the ending is AMAZING!!!
Anyway, glad you had a good time up there. See you soon.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Video: Magic Castle Future Stars 2006 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL