The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Solid Steel Ring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mshanker
View Profile
New user
Frankfort, KY
88 Posts

Profile of mshanker
I've been working with Roland Henning's rope and ring effect. (A video is on magicvideodepot.com and the manuscript is available for $15 from Steve Ferris ferrissteve@yahoo.com).

It requires a solid steel ring of about 7" diameter. The ring has to have some heft. I've looked at other magiccafe links and inquired at several places and the largest steel ring I could find was 4". Any suggestions?

Manoj
Manoj
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
A 7" diameter ring? That is HUGE for rope magic.

You might contact a blacksmith in your area and have one made. A good machine shop could also do it with a steel rod, some heat (to bend it) and a welding machine to join the ends.

Good luck. Mark.
SenseiStrange
View Profile
Veteran user
The Dead God's Dreams
345 Posts

Profile of SenseiStrange
8 inch chinese linking rings are common. How about welding rings? - check a welding supply.
mshanker
View Profile
New user
Frankfort, KY
88 Posts

Profile of mshanker
Thanks! I'm going to check both welding supply stores and a machine shop.

Manoj
Manoj
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2712 Posts

Profile of John Long
If this is the routine where Roland falls down at the end, you should be able to do it with smaller/lighter weight rings. The move does work better with a larger ring, but I've done it with a 5" decorator ring from WalMart

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Manoj
John is right the ring and rope routines that use two pieces of rope is very powerful magic, and Roland's routine is a great one. The ring and rope routine that I do uses all the same moves as Roland's and then some it is called "full circle" I do it with a 6' plastic ring that you can buy at ebay for a buck, or two they are used for macrame pocketbook handles. The problem with the 8' linking ring is they are too slim to sell the trick. I think the thickness of a ring is more important than the diameter. You will look forever for that 7' solid steel ring, unless you know a blacksmith.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2712 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
The problem with the 8' linking ring is they are too slim to sell the trick

They are also hard to carry around.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Solid Steel Ring (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL