The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » True power of a snow routine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
I was thinking about this for awhile, and now I was just reading another post about snow and decided to chime in here, but thought it best to start a new thread...

Where do you think that the real stregnth of a snow routine comes from? The other post I just read was asking if it is ok to use a KJ snow animator outside. I always think that the part of a good snow routine is when the snow starts to really go out into the audience, this brings the audience into the magic with you. I think that this, along with the correct story really is what makes this such a powerfull routine.

So sure, a KJ snow animator can work out side, or in an elementry school gym, or at a picinic...but I don't think that in these cases the routine is nearly as strong as when done with some lighting and extra snow machines. (btw, I have a snow animator and have done snow in all of these situations).

So, what do you guys (girls, or other) think about this?

scott
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1903 Posts

Profile of chmara
Wonder & Memory

The true power of snow is much more than the surprise of a confetti like substance appearing. Here in Tucson, AZ we get real snow once every 3-5 years. That means pre-schoolers probably do not know what the stuff is.

Copperfield and James' routines both hit wonder and memory for those individuals in the audience who experienced snow as a kid, and evoke remeniscence of childhood.

To transcend from "just another appearance" of a substance to a truly powerful effect the performer must bring something more to the story. Look at the Okito variation of snow using butterrfiles as an example.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24272 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
To some people in the audience it is just cr*p we have to clean off our clothing.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-08-23 21:35, Bill Palmer wrote:
To some people in the audience it is just cr*p we have to clean off our clothing.

True... I gotta wonder how this effect goes over at school shows/assemblies with the janitor
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Get out the rakes. I'm writing up my Autumn Leaves routine for The Wizards' Journal #10 and it turns the old snow storm into a red, yellow and gold affair. Plus, the leaves swirl about you like a tornado and a few put on some special moves of independent dancing - hip hop, ballet, you name it. The janitors are gonna love this one!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » True power of a snow routine? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL