The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Entertainment - Armed forces/club med/ etc (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

busterjuggler
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia travelling worldwide now
352 Posts

Profile of busterjuggler
What are some other organisations where you can perform in these situations.

Eg: club med - resorts worlwide
: armed forces entertainment

are there any others which are similar?

Its a hard one to explain, but its more a question of who is like these organisations how they pay for your flight etc and you perform for them for a few months or what ever?

Cheers,
James BuSTAR
Australia's Comedy Juggling Superstar
info@jamesbustar.com
http://www.jugglingsuperstar.com
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
I did AFE a few years ago. It is very rewarding to perform for the troops. You get to perfrom to large crowds and great reactions. You have to look at it as a service or charity. The pay is very low. I think it is about $150/day. The working and travelling hours are very long. I highly reccomend doing it if you can afford the pay cut for a few weeks.
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
534 Posts

Profile of RSD
I don't beleive Club Med covers airfare as you suggested.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Club Med will pay for your flights if you are considered to be a "GO" which I think is Gentil organiser- or something like that- the GE is General Employee

GO-s get paid about $3 per hour when they start out
diamond
View Profile
Regular user
Serbia & Montenegro
200 Posts

Profile of diamond
I have been working a lot of resorts wordlwide and several years ago I was looking for work at Club Med, and I was so surprised how huge their requirements are and how they give nothing in return. When they hire entertainers, they want them to do many side duties. Actually, the way they have put things up is just wrong... They are looking for guest animators (someone who would play various games with guests, organize guests' free time, organize talent contests read the bingo, etc.) and one of the requirements for the animators was (if I remember well from their website that I saw years ago) "Must be able to present some special skills (a Cirque du Soleil style trapeze act, juggling, high wire act, etc)". So they totally degrade the performers and they expect them to do the bingo during the day, work at a child care center and then perform in the evenings (no more no less than a Cirque du Soleil type of act). Unfortunately there are many extremely good performers from east Europe (Russia mostly) who would work for pennies and who would accept this total degradation. As far as I know (well maybe the things have changed, but I don't believe so) there's no such thing as headline entertainer at Club Med, and I'm always giving advice to fellow performers not to work for them.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
There wre 2 ways to be an entertainer at club med

You do it for about 2 weeks for free with a free holiday

or you become a "GO" (explained above) where you do two jobs- I was a Bar Manager and magician- working 10-12 hour bar shifts and doing magic at night and behind the bar and a couple of times a week I did a strage show on their las Vegas themed night (gambling) where my card manips went down well.

I Must admit - I think you can get better experience locally doing your stand up show- like comedy clubs and bars- But I'll tell you- I really good at my close up- simply because I was doing it all day every day in front of real people.

The benefit of doing it locally is that you can get private gigs and newspaper articles written about you----In Club Med- you'll literally be hidden away from civilisation

The payment is terrible- It took me 3 hours of work just to buy a pack of cigarettes.

I would suggest firstly to call the Club Med Chief of the Village- he is actually on the Resort- forget about dealing with the office in Sydney- they only deal with holidays really

Call up the chief and explain that you do a show and work out a deal to do a free show 3 times a week for a free holiday

Then if you really like it- ask for a job- but understand no amount of negotiations will increase your wages and when you become a GO - you'll be doing some other job which could be bar, front desk etc and your acccomodations will be terrible (espoecially at Lindeman Island- which is 2 beds seperated by and arms length----Pray that you don't share a room with a plumber as I did for 4 months- they finish at 5 in the afternoon and you finish at 2-4 in the morning - you wake each other up- you don't get any sleep- horrible
busterjuggler
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia travelling worldwide now
352 Posts

Profile of busterjuggler
Cheers guys! talking bout club med I am thinking of being the circus instructor job, many from fruit fly circus , my circus have said its great, its good to hear other opinions though. I am trained to teach many circus skills. I can understand a bar job would be much different. I am still thinking about whether I do it or not.

Cheers,

James
James BuSTAR
Australia's Comedy Juggling Superstar
info@jamesbustar.com
http://www.jugglingsuperstar.com
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
Only as a holiday...

Bond... James Bond
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
Many Caribbean island resorts have an “off season” during the summer months. This is when they tend to book their corporate and convention and seminar business. These groups will book talent. Call these resorts directly (right now is a good time because these things are booked about a year in advance) and ask to speak to the banquet/meeting coordinator. Explain to her what you do. Follow it up with a professional looking press kit and video. Keep calling every few weeks.

She will either recommend to her clients or put you in contact with them to book you directly.

I used this method last year to get booked at several events at the Ritz-Carlton in Rose Hall, Jamaica.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Entertainment - Armed forces/club med/ etc (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL