The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Attention rabbit experts: What type of rabbit is 'best'??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DougRoye
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of DougRoye
Will soon be adding a rabbit production to my act and using a small production box to start with. Do "dwarfs" or "minis" work well in a performance setting? ANY ideas/ suggestions would be appreciated. (It will be the FIRST rabbit I've ever owned!)

Thanx a mil!

Doug
Salt Lake City
magicleland
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magicleland
Sure a lot of people will say get a Netherland Dwarf, but the truth is is that Netherland dwarfs can get tempermentel easly. I have an experieced rabbit breeder and she say's get the dwarf hotot. They are calmer than a Netherland Dwarf and the same size. Dwarf Hotots have the laid back atituide of a big bunny but the size of a small bunny. Btw My friend likes the mini rex breed.
zig zag illusion - $3,000
theater rental - $500
geting advice from othe magicians on the cafe - priceless
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
I don't think you could go wrong with either the mini or dwarf breeds. The important thing is to find a breeder you can trust and make sure the bunny is purebred and healthy.

I have Netherland Dwarfs and I love them. I know people that use Mini Lops successfully. I am not sure about Dwarf Hotot. I considered buying a Hotot years ago, but I don't think it was a dwarf. While small, it was my understanding that they were slightly larger than the Netherland Dwarfs. If they have a Dwarf Hotot I might consider one. They are beautiful. I love the black around their eyes.

If color is important to you, that might make a difference. I know Netherland Dwarfs come in many different colors. I can't say about the other breeds. I currently own a Himalayan, and Blue-Eyed White, and a Smoke Pearl Marten. The Smoke Pearl is a silvery-gray color with dark gray accents around the nose, ears, tail and feet. Mine's underside is a lighter, grayish/white. It's a beautiful bunny and I use him for special occasions when I use a certain prop/routine. He matches it almost perfectly.

The only time I ever had any problems with Netherlands being tempermental was when I bought a female. She was a little hateful and withdrawn. They are nerveous critters by nature, but this has not been a problem for me. Mine are really outgoing and love to be held and petted. The Himalayan is my main show bunny and he seems to know when it is showtime. He seems to love perfroming.

Good luck with whichever breed you choose. Treat it with love and give it plenty of TLC and you will have a partner that can improve your show and add lot's of joy to your life at the same time!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Doug Collins in Battle Creek, MI raises Hotots for magicians - all white rabbits with black circles around the eyes. They seem to be on the small side and have nice temperments, from what I've seen over the years.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Mini's are not exactly little. If you are using a small production box you want to get a dwarf rabbit. I personally don't like Netherland dwarfs because they have such tiny ears. I am currently using a White Mini Rex. They are a bit smaller and have huge ears. They are much easier seen from an audience. Even though he is a "mini", he weighs 4 lbs. I had to get the super giant rabbit pan so he would fit.
Also, I prefer male rabbits. In my experiences with many different rabbits I find the males have a better temprament. Female rabbits can be touchy. Imagine that!
Daniel Faith
abbascup
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of abbascup
I have a white male mini rex and he's the greatest little rabbit I could hope for. I also have a dwarf and I love him too but he can be squirmish when he wants to. He's a great rabbit too. He also is male. I would take a mini rex over a dwarf. That's just my opinion.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
I have used a netherlands dwarf (a bit nervous and liked to scratch me), a hotot (calm but bigger), and an English Angora (large and amazing!). The English Angora looks like a 20 lb rabbit when he appears, because he is a huge puff of fur and weighs about 4 lbs. The Angora is a bit of a site gag because of the way he looks. Great temperment, too. I like the English Angora the very best!

Currently, I use maltese dogs because they are the same size as a rabbit, super hairy, white, and lots of fun.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Owen Anderson
View Profile
Loyal user
A sturdy fence needs at least
226 Posts

Profile of Owen Anderson
I currently have a male Netherland Dwarf and he's a gem. Good personality and kid friendly.

Previously I had a Polish rabbit. Pure white with blue eyes and slightly smaller than a dwarf when fully mature. Good temperment and fits in all those places you need them to fit.

Harder to find but worth a look.
Owen Anderson
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
I remember as a teen buying a rabbit to have in my act (dove to rabbit). Only thing was, the rabbit didn't like me. It would hiss at me. My brother could handle it all day long, but it wanted nothing to do with me. I can't recall what type it was, but I remember producing it at a few birthday party shows, and of course the kids immediately wanted to pet it, while I cringed wondering how the rabbit would react. Fortunately for me, the rabbit didn't mind the kids all smothering it, but it didn't like me.

A couple of years later, Jimmy Carter was made fun of in the press after an encounter with a "wild rabbit".....but I knew how he felt! Smile

I haven't had a rabbit since....
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
My current rabbit, a lop, would nip rather agressively if I took a litter pan out of his hutch. Now I keep it in and he uses it as a privacy partition. Now, he's very friendly and loves attention. It pays to be sensitive to the rabbit, being in control of his living quarters.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
1961 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Does neutering make a difference?
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1126 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
I'm sure that it is probably still o.k. to use a rabbit if You have been neutered. Smile

But that's a very good question! Smile

Are there ANY Magicians out there that are neutered and still using rabbits???

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
Astrid
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
63 Posts

Profile of Astrid
I always say the fuzzier the better....Smile
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1126 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Smile Smile Smile
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1379 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-08-31 02:59, magicmanfrank wrote:
I'm sure that it is probably still o.k. to use a rabbit if You have been neutered. Smile
But that's a very good question! Smile
Are there ANY Magicians out there that are neutered and still using rabbits???
=Frank=

Now that is a funny one. Or maybe not...ouch!

Why do people neuter their bunnies? I have heard of people doing this. I never neutered mine, but the male bunnies had a bit of a musky odor to them sometimes. I believe might have been related to being left "natural".

So maybe that neutering comment/question also goes along with the topic "Which rabbits are best". Any comments?
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
mattsharpe
View Profile
New user
Paradise, Newfoundland
72 Posts

Profile of mattsharpe
Well, rabbits are very commonly affected by diseases which are eliminated after being neutered. It's mostly for their own health (however, males often feel the need to make love to most things in their sight... which again, is eliminated (more or less) after being neutered).

This page lists most of the reasons why: http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html
Matt
magicleland
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magicleland
We always neuter our rabbits and now they don't stink, they're not aggressive and don't spray. I alway recommend neutering a rabbit, because it DOES make a difference!
zig zag illusion - $3,000
theater rental - $500
geting advice from othe magicians on the cafe - priceless
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1379 Posts

Thank you, mattsharpe and magicleland, for this information! Excellent link! I had no idea that neutering would make a better, calmer, more healthy bunny!

I always had my cats neutered and my dogs spayed, but never applied this to my bunnies. If I ever get another, I will definately take your advice!
Doug Henning
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
I have heard that you should go to a vet that specializes in rabbits if you have one neutered. I have thought about neutering and even checked with some vets, but I cannot find one in my area that specialized in rabbits.

Regan
Mister Mystery
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1598 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Magicmanfrank
I am planing on getting neutered (some day) but have stopped using rabbits in my show. Do I count??? Smile

JIM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Attention rabbit experts: What type of rabbit is 'best'??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL